IGNORED

Crowd for Sunderland

NOTBLUE

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

My only visit was right at the end of our 4 year stay in the top flight (we lost 3-1 and Dave Rodgers scored) and so definitely pre all seater.

It seemed a big ground then, but I was a teenager back in the late 70s..

I went to that one as well...............remember running all the way back to Piccadilly for the (something like) 5.20 ,was well knacked !

2 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

I went to this game as well. 32745 at Maine Road that day.

man city.jpg

Wow. Did we really have crowds as low as 10,837 in D1? I know we were going down, but even so, that puts today's 22,000 expected in perspective. Only games with Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man U were well over that. Lots of away games under 20,000 too.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

See below that was the final capacity, it definitely used to be bigger.

At one time Main Road had a capacity of nearly 90,000.

I could be wrong but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the ground holds the record attendance for an English League match? 

Obviously it was an all seater stadium by the end and even though they built that huge stand in place of the Kippax, I’m sure the Kippax had much higher capacity. I expect someone on here will know how many fans you could fit on that terrace...

57 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Wow. Did we really have crowds as low as 10,837 in D1? I know we were going down, but even so, that puts today's 22,000 expected in perspective. Only games with Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man U were well over that. Lots of away games under 20,000 too.

Interestingly, our first season in "Division 1" we had 20,593 at home against Sunderland. Should beat that today.

001.jpg

32 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

That's probably the lowest but we certainly did.

Throughout our 4 year stay in the top league middling or unattractive visitors like Bolton, Middlesbro, QPR, Leicester, Sunderland, Coventry etc.  would only draw 15-20k, sometimes less.

I'm sure there was another Middlesbro, home game, I think on a Boxing Day (a day the crowds traditionally surged) with an attendance of only about 11.5k.

Then again we could get a lowish crowd and then put on 10K or more the next home game if the likes of Man. Utd, Arsenal, Forest or Liverpool were in town.

Not that our crowds were that bad compared with  many others, or that other clubs didn't suffer similarly fluctuating attendances.We got a higher crowd that season for our home game with Arsenal  - 23,099 - than watched the corresponding game at Highbury. Their crowd that day was only about half the number who saw the Cheesley match 4 years earlier, an attendance that was boosted not only by it being a very sunny  first day of a new season, but also our large following and Malcolm McDonald's much heralded debut.

Note City's poor goalscoring over the season -  just 37 in all, but including 9 pens, so only 28 goals in open play in 42 games. We've already scored more than that this season in early Feb. with a third of the season to go. The excitement was there for the big clubs in those days, but otherwise the entertainment wasn't great at times.

Remember the unusual goal glut at the Derby cup game - Howard Pritchard's finest hour in a City shirt iirc.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

See below that was the final capacity, it definitely used to be bigger.

No idea why there were so many empty seats in recent seasons then?

According to google, Maine road had a capacity of 88,000 at its peak. That Kippax terrace must have been able to hold 35K on its' own I should think.

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Stadia/Stadium.aspx?id=7

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm sure there was another Middlesbro, home game, I think on a Boxing Day (a day the crowds traditionally surged) with an attendance of only about 11.5k.

1979, March 17th we drew at home to Middlesborough. The crowd that day was 12,319. Could it have been this game you were thinking of?

2 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

1979, March 17th we drew at home to Middlesborough. The crowd that day was 12,319. Could it have been this game you were thinking of?

Probably was RG, although Boxing Day stuck in my mind for some reason. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Probably was RG, although Boxing Day stuck in my mind for some reason. :thumbsup:

Your mind playing tricks on you Noggers. Boxing day games.....

Dec 27 1976 - WBA away 30,444

Dec 26 1977 - WBA home 28,879

Dec 26 1978 - Coventry home 22,324

Dec 26 1979 - WBA away 19,564

8 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Your mind playing tricks on you Noggers. Boxing day games.....

Dec 27 1976 - WBA away 30,444

Dec 26 1977 - WBA home 28,879

Dec 26 1978 - Coventry home 22,324

Dec 26 1979 - WBA away 19,564

Definitely, I'll need to do my homework before posting next time Grovesy. 

Which site you getting the attendances from? :dunno:

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

At one time Main Road had a capacity of nearly 90,000.

I could be wrong but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the ground holds the record attendance for an English League match? 

Obviously it was an all seater stadium by the end and even though they built that huge stand in place of the Kippax, I’m sure the Kippax had much higher capacity. I expect someone on here will know how many fans you could fit on that terrace...

Maine Road holds the record for highest domestic attendance (Man City v Stoke in the FA Cup 1934), 84,569. 

Maine Road also holds the record for English League football, you are quite correct. But in this instance the home side were Manchester United playing Arsenal in 1948. 

Wembley holds the record attendance in this country overall, but that was a fairly recent Champions League match, Spurs v Leverkusen.

Archived