IGNORED

Crowd for Sunderland

NOTBLUE

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Question for someone who can google this while I'm at work - why are they called the "Black Cats"?

Their traditional nickname, 'The Rokerites' was made redundant when they moved to the Stadium of Light in 1997.

The Black Cats was then chosen by a public vote for the reasons @Busterrimes and @slartibartfast have given above.

A Black Cat has been used as an emblem for the club throughout most of it's history.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Their traditional nickname, 'The Rokerites' was made redundant when they moved to the Stadium of Light in 1997.

The Black Cats was then chosen by a public vote for the reasons @Busterrimes and @slartibartfast have given above.

A Black Cat has been used as an emblem for the club throughout most of it's history.

Interesting that. Does seem a bit out there without any context.

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Great support.

Everybody gushes over Newcastle’s away support, especially when they drop into the Championship, but every time I’ve seen Sunderland down here they’ve always brought big numbers.

Its easy to sell out every away allocation you receive when you’re having a one season break from the Prem and you’re at the top of the Championship. Much more difficult to take 1500 fans the length of the country when you’re in Sunderland’s position.

Too true.

They have put up with some utter shite over the last few years but they are a simply massive club.

For me possibly one of the ten biggest in England, no way would Chelsea or Man City get their levels of support if they were as bad.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Too true.

They have put up with some utter shite over the last few years but they are a simply massive club.

For me possibly one of the ten biggest in England, no way would Chelsea or Man City get their levels of support if they were as bad.

To be fair to  Man City, they were getting 30,000 in league one if I remember rightly 

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Before that, a stray black cat made its home at Roker in the 1910's.

Really? I would of loved to have been around when football clubs were starting out and see how the history began.

A stray cat ffs

20 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To be fair to  Man City, they were getting 30,000 in league one if I remember rightly 

Yep, one thing you can't level against Man City is fair-weather. Dropped nearly as far as we did and got very good gates.
They averaged over 28k in relegation from the Championship in 98'. Over 28k in their one year in L3 and 32 in passing through to the Prem. Not too shabby.

On 08/02/2018 at 18:07, GrahamC said:

Too true.

Disagree about Man City - they dropped to tier three not so long ago but still had amazing support home and away...

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Disagree about Man City - they dropped to tier three not so long ago but still had amazing support home and away...

And now they get nowhere near filling their stadium for cup semi finals.

It was 20 years ago next season, those days are long gone.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

And now they get nowhere near filling their stadium for cup semi finals.

Those days are long gone.

No they haven’t, the capacity of Maine Road was 35,000 and they were close to filling it when they were at the lower levels, just because they’ve moved to a bigger stadium (55k capacity) why does that mean ‘those days are long gone’ especially when the attendance at their last home game was 53,000.....?!

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No they haven’t, the capacity of Maine Road was 35,000 and they were close to filling it when they were at the lower levels, just because they’ve moved to a bigger stadium (55k capacity) why does that mean ‘those days are long gone’ especially when the attendance at their last home game was 53,000.....?!

I thought Maine Rd was bigger than that, sure I have been there in a bigger crowd than 35,000?

Their crowd against us was really abysmal, I’m pretty sure if some mega rich Arab bought Sunderland instead & they were in a cup semi final there wouldn’t be thousands of empty seats.

Even running away with the Premier League the Etihad rarely appears to be full, somehow I think the Stadium of Light would be..

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yeah but that was when converted to all seater...no ?

Yep.

My only visit was right at the end of our 4 year stay in the top flight (we lost 3-1 and Dave Rodgers scored) and so definitely pre all seater.

It seemed a big ground then, but I was a teenager back in the late 70s..

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Maine Road’s capacity was 35,150. And the Etihad? Rarely full? They are averaging 54k....

See below that was the final capacity, it definitely used to be bigger.

No idea why there were so many empty seats in recent seasons then?

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

My only visit was right at the end of our 4 year stay in the top flight (we lost 3-1 and Dave Rodgers scored) and so definitely pre all seater.

It seemed a big ground then, but I was a teenager back in the late 70s..

I went to this game as well. 32745 at Maine Road that day.

man city.jpg

Archived