IGNORED

Injury update

CliftonCliff

8 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

That nobody has mentioned GON might be down to the fact that it’s been debated at length in previous threads. I and quite a few others have argued that persistent and nagging injuries have prevented us from seeing the best of him. Long in the tooth now he may be, but hugely experienced, with three (or is it four?) promotions to the PL on his CV, and at his best a very authoritative presence on the field. You may yet find he has a useful contribution to make in high pressure games in the final run-in.

I understand what you are saying, but again has hardly featured so can’t really feel like he’s contributed. He’s coming to the end of a two year deal which I would be staggered if it is renewed.  However ultimate a professional he is he must be looking at where he goes next. He’s living away from his family, or was for the majority of the time he has been here. Can his heart really be in getting us promoted, will his body ever be fit enough. But the club must see something in him or else they would have paid him up and released him long ago. 

17 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think once Pisano is back we'll see the 3-5-2 more often.

In an interview LJ was asked if he could play Diedhiou and Diony in the same team, and he replied yes as it would give him the option of a 3-5-2 formation. As City seem keen to sign Diony permanently, providing the loan goes well, I expect him to start a few games once he’s assimilated into the squad. As Diedhiou cost £5m, and has demonstrated his worth to the team, I doubt that he would be cast aside to make way for him. So, 3-5-2 with Reid playing in a draper role.  

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

That nobody has mentioned GON might be down to the fact that it’s been debated at length in previous threads. I and quite a few others have argued that persistent and nagging injuries have prevented us from seeing the best of him. Long in the tooth now he may be, but hugely experienced, with three (or is it four?) promotions to the PL on his CV, and at his best a very authoritative presence on the field. You may yet find he has a useful contribution to make in high pressure games in the final run-in.

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

I totally agree re O’Neil. I think he’ll give us some know how and experience that we have lacked at times over the past few weeks. He’s been very successful in this league before and I think having him to come on and help close out games will be a big boost to us. 

His view on here is tarred by the injury record.

The start he made to 16/17 was very influential....remember we were in the top 6.  That red card from Tomlin’s missed penalty seemed to be the catalyst for everything that’s followed since.

Last season away to Villa (during the poor run) he was absolutely brilliant for 45 minutes, As was Wilbs funnily enough.  However, after half-time he tired through lack of games and we never got a foothold.  His ability to control and pass, find an action, get it again, repeat is not to be under-estimated.  Think Wade Elliott, but at a higher level.

If he can come back fully fit (it us a big if), then he will be crucial on the pitch, on the bench and on the training ground.

I can only imagine how frustrated he has been, and hope he is so pumped to be approaching fitness.  Think he’s GONna play for u23s on Tuesday. 

Archived