IGNORED

The Newport Game.

Ray White

Of the new signings/crop of youngsters i thought Orr was average but he does cover every inch of grass, Harley was sound and made a few good forward runs but could still bulk up a bit. Heffernan was also average, got his goal and has a good turn of pace, Gillespie was awesome and changed a rather boring game around with two good goals, particularly the chip over fatty Freestone.

Of the formation, in the first half i thought it was too rigid and it was in need of the change from 3-5-2 to 3-4-1-2.

As for the original lads from last season Goodfellow when he came on was outstanding and linked up the play well with Gillespie and Miller who was also impressive.

However Roberts is not capable of playing on the wing and we still have no one capable of crossing the ball well or taking a decent corner.

Plus I cannot believe no one has mentioned the streaker that ran on the pitch in the second half. Fantastic entertainment especially for a pre season game and it makes a change from previous pre season slow starts.

WE ARE GOING UP!

Of the new signings/crop of youngsters i thought Orr was average but he does cover every inch of grass, Harley was sound and made a few good forward runs but could still bulk up a bit. Heffernan was also average, got his goal and has a good turn of pace, Gillespie was awesome and changed a rather boring game around with two good goals, particularly the chip over fatty Freestone.

Of the formation, in the first half i thought it was too rigid and it was in need of the change from 3-5-2 to 3-4-1-2.

As for the original lads from last season Goodfellow when he came on was outstanding and linked up the play well with Gillespie and Miller who was also impressive.

However Roberts is not capable of playing on the wing and we still have no one capable of crossing the ball well or taking a decent corner.

Plus I cannot believe no one has mentioned the streaker that ran on the pitch in the second half. Fantastic entertainment especially for a pre season game and it makes a change from previous pre season slow starts.

WE ARE GOING UP!

yep pretty much how it was... Goodfellow looked good and

Gillespie was class.. the steaker very funny he ran across the

pitch back over to te stands and climbed out of the grounds walls

still naked :):grr::grr::D

A win is always good for morale no matter who its against and with Gillespie bagging two goals he has to be in BTs' mind as potential starter come Aug 7th.

Orr sounds like good signing and could be another player with a great chance of starting against Torquay.

Orr was far from average! A little more subdued in the second half, but in the first he was making the sort of runs forward and getting into the attacking positions that we have seriously lacked in previous seasons. If anything, his problem is that some of the other players cannot play to the standard that he has been schooled in. Quite a few times he created space for himself but players could not deliver the ball to him, or his quick first touch passes were either not expected or simply just not returned quick enough.

I was impressed with him and really hope we start with Goodfellow (agreed, looked good today) Doherty (nothing needs to be said about this man, excellent) and Orr in midfield.

Guest Harry May

Totally agree, while the official site says Gillespie was MOTM , I thought Orr was. Although , he covered every blade of grass ( fantastic workrate ),tackled as hard as Tommy and has a good first touch- for me what seperates him from anything else I've seen in a City shirt for along time is his football brain. He always seemed to make space for himself and be thinking one step infront of everyone else. Plus he 's as hard as nails.

Caldicot Red.

Heffernan worked a lot harder than Peacock ever did. Orr was pretty good, Lita was useless, Harley tried hard, Fortune was excellent and hopefully has sealed a 1st team place. Gillesie was brill - just like in the reserves last season. Goodfellow was good, Roberts was lazy, slow and not that effective, Woodman was good, Doherty was his usual steadfast self, Coles OK, Butler OK,Miller worked hard and teamed up well with Goodfellow.

Just my opinion

Hope that's helpful :D

I thought our marking at setpieces was absolutely shocking they could of had a couple if they were sharper in the box from corners freekicks. They did not crete anything from open play in the whole game apart from the goal whick was a punt and lob just after our third. Gillespie loked sharp alongside miller. Thought Roberts did well attacking but did not defend at all. Orr ran everywhere and alongside tommy was outstanding. Coles and Fortune looked good on ball and positionally were sound (except at setpieces). Good workout for the lads for they are in theory 3 leagues below us just right start for us.

Agree about the defending.

When Butler was playing in the centre of the three center backs Fortune looked good. However, when asked to play a similar role in the second half , fortune did not look that comfortable!

Guest Cyprus_Red
Scotty played well, he linked very effectivley with Orr, quick passes, one touch etc.

Yeah Murray looked more like himself today

I was also very impressed by Craig Woodman

Assisted two and generally played really well

Yeah Murray looked more like himself today

I was also very impressed by Craig Woodman

Assisted two and generally played really well

I was also impressed by Woodman. Didn't really think much of him last year but he was quite effective today.

Our defence still looked ropey at set pieces!

Archived