IGNORED

Tired of the Wurzels

where's the joy

3 hours ago, Dave L said:

I think Drink Up Thy Zider is a great song. It's unique, it's West Country and its ours. It's sad that's it's hardly sung any more. I think one reason for this might be confusion over the lyrics. Although there may be some who relish the prospect of going down the Rovers and doing them over, thats not a lyric I would ever sing, nor the vast majority of City fans I suspect.  If everyone could agree on the original, I'd certainly join in.

Drink up thy zider, drink up thy zider,
For tonight we'll merry be,
We'll knock the milkchurns over, and roll 'em in the clover,
The corn's half cut, and so be we!

That's a bit PC.. I don't think many of our songs are supposed to be taken literally. If people didn't sing any song that discusses violence or implies it that would limit our repertoire a fair amount.

8 hours ago, where's the joy said:

as great songs go i feel 'drink up thee Zyder' needs a re-mix, or to be replaced. sacrilege i hear you cry?

its time to move on, new stadium, all this new good football and stuff like the old red red robin is still being belted out

take for example Spurs fans slowing down the start of 'when the spurs go marching in' which when sung lustily makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand out.

our old Wurzel classic has always been too quickly sung, too easy to drop off from, never repeated over and over, always running out of steam too soon, a bit like our performance at leeds!

as a tune to belt out then even 'good night Irene' by the Gas is like Stoke fans singing Delilah, loud and hearty.

so here's an idea or two; either get the Wurzels to bring Zyder up to date or pick an anthem from another sport.

for instance even the French national anthem for our two star french strikers with the right english lyrics could work.

how cool is 'will griggs on fire' for example? 

come on city fans 'lets be having you' and a new or improved anthem.

I just wish they would stop playing blackbird when we don't win. Miserable 

53 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree. Not least for the fact we are South of the river, which means we would have to go UP the Rovers.

Geographically, the song is bobbins.

Positional maybe? It's been that long that 'up' the r**ers just doesn't sound right!

Great song, totally ours but like pretty much every song, it's sang waaay too fast! Just slow the **** down, it's not a race.

One for the Bristol City, Blackbird & Drink Up Thy Zyder like them or not (& I do) are unique & synonymous with our identity.

That "when the spurs..." or that stupid palace song are regurgitated crap.

The former is a Southampton song and that palace rubbish seems to have been copied by others.

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Please don’t confuse Adge Cutler with the Wurzels. Adge was a class act and we should stick with his version of the various songs. The present Wurzels are just a second rate tribute band 

Adge Cutler was the Jim Morrison of the west country.  Imagine what songs he would have wrote if he'd lived in L.A.

1 hour ago, Flounder said:

Adge Cutler was the Jim Morrison of the west country.  Imagine what songs he would have wrote if he'd lived in L.A.

Drink up thee Pina Colada

Midnight over the Grand Canyon 

Champion organic fertiliser spreader

I wish I was back on my 5,000 acre ranch 

Emporer Goose I’ll ave ee 

When the North American Free Trade Agreement comes to Hollywood 

19 hours ago, Dave L said:

I think Drink Up Thy Zider is a great song. It's unique, it's West Country and its ours. It's sad that's it's hardly sung any more. I think one reason for this might be confusion over the lyrics. Although there may be some who relish the prospect of going down the Rovers and doing them over, thats not a lyric I would ever sing, nor the vast majority of City fans I suspect.  If everyone could agree on the original, I'd certainly join in.

Drink up thy zider, drink up thy zider,
For tonight we'll merry be,
We'll knock the milkchurns over, and roll 'em in the clover,
The corn's half cut, and so be we!

I still sing  "going down the Rovers to take the tote end over" :chant6ez:

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Drink up thee Pina Colada

Midnight over the Grand Canyon 

Champion organic fertiliser spreader

I wish I was back on my 5,000 acre ranch 

Emporer Goose I’ll ave ee 

When the North American Free Trade Agreement comes to Hollywood 

you missed off their classic album "never mind the buffalo's"  

My issue with the line about the gas in Drink up thy zider is that it is our song and should be about City. Liverpool fans dont have a line about Everton or the Mancs in Never Walk Alone, West Ham don't have any bubble related violence in store for Millwall, etc etc. It seems to be only us. Also, slow it down a bit, something the drum could come in useful for.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

My issue with the line about the gas in Drink up thy zider is that it is our song and should be about City. Liverpool fans dont have a line about Everton or the Mancs in Never Walk Alone, West Ham don't have any bubble related violence in store for Millwall, etc etc. It seems to be only us. Also, slow it down a bit, something the drum could come in useful for.

'Going down the Rovers etc' is a fairly recent change in the words.

I suspect a drunk sung it one day, his mates picked up on it, and it's subsequently, unfortunately, been taken up by younger fans.

Either way,  it shouldn't be there. It's rubbish and an unwelcome intrusion in a otherwise rousing song.

On 24/02/2018 at 20:42, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree. Not least for the fact we are South of the river, which means we would have to go UP the Rovers.

Geographically, the song is bobbins.

You might think. But they are beneath us, so beneath us. It can only be "go down."

9 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

To be fair, West Ham did substitute a line in ‘Bubbles’ for a while....”Fortune’s always hiding...” became “Tottenham’s always running..” - but it didn’t last long as they returned to the fine original lyrics...

On 25/02/2018 at 08:57, Swede said:

One for the Bristol City, Blackbird & Drink Up Thy Zyder like them or not (& I do) are unique & synonymous with our identity...

Somerset CCC fans sing ‘Blackbird’ and so do the players when they win...it’s not unique to us...and Yeovil fans used to sing ‘Drink up thy zider’ - not sure if they still do...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Somerset CCC fans sing ‘Blackbird’ and so do the players when they win...it’s not unique to us...and Yeovil fans used to sing ‘Drink up thy zider’ - not sure if they still do...

The Wurzels are from Somerset which makes all their songs unique to us and naturally Somerset CC qualify to use any Wurzels song they like.

Archived