IGNORED

The bigger picture

ChippenhamRed

You have to believe in the medium to long term goals if the club. Yes premiership is the aim. But not at all costs.

There are many dynamics. Do we want to follow the Brighton / Burnley approach. Or do we want to follow the Leicester / Wolves approach (spend shitloads and flout FFP)

The leadership have made it clear we’re going about it the Burnley / Brighton way. A method of consistent and sustainable improvement and growth, both on and off the field. We play an entertaining brand of football.

The January transfer window is a farce and a red herring in this scenario. We got players we wanted, at fees we could afford. We didn’t get a RB. A major oversight, but we don’t know if we looked, who was available and at what price - and did THEY want to come?

we are making progress as a club. But we’re Bristol City, not Man City. I’m positive about the progress we’ve made, especially in the past 4 seasons.

11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I understand why people say we didn't do enough in January.

He may not have shown it yet, but Diony would be our record signing. People seem to have ignored that to some extent. If he'd scored three goals and we'd beat Sunderland and Leeds we'd all be saying what a great window it was.

Pre-Jan I thought LJ's comments about only wanting a couple was about right. We didn't want to disrupt the squad and key players were due back.

All I think I'm saying is it's fine margins. To claim the club blew it by being unambitious in January is a bit unfair imo. Yes it looks like Diony may not be what they hoped - but he is in the £5-8m range which is still a big signing by our standards. A signing like that 2-3 years ago would have been greeted with wild enthusiasm. 

He may yet work out. We have to keep some perspective and not get totally unrealistic about what we can do in a couple of seasons.

We have exceeded most fans expectations in being in a play off position in February. Surely the point is although unexpected , we needed to grasp the opportunity because there are no guarantees these chances will come around regularly. The signing of a miss firing forward who has never played in this country, a young lad who does not make the team and only one player who gets in the team regularly hardly seems to me like a determined effort to seize the chance. Failing to address the full back positions and lack of experience being signed is really disappointing and has left a great opportunity slip away.

Archived