IGNORED

Cardiff Away - Why bother?

thatcham red

33 minutes ago, thatcham red said:

It was just as bad off the pitch as it was on.

http://bristolcitysupporters.org/cardiff-away-why-bother/

Good summing up mate. It was pretty pathetic wasn't it. Couldn't believe the amount of police and stewards despite the massively reduced tickets.   Bloody freezing as well in the concourse before the game which didn't help matters either. Gone are the good old days at NP which I was 'lucky' enough to catch the arse end of. Ninian may only be a stones throw away from the new ground but the two experiences couldn't be any different if they tried. Shame but it's not going to change now. 

38 minutes ago, hodge said:

If there were no travel restrictions how is there a justification for preventing fans being where they want post match as long as they're not causing trouble? 

That is exactly my point. We seemingly took the option of less tickets for greater freedom and then the whole thing still got locked down and heavily policed.

1 minute ago, thatcham red said:

That is exactly my point. We seemingly took the option of less tickets for greater freedom and then the whole thing still got locked down and heavily policed.

I mean I live in Cardiff but as a student, so wouldn't have had a Cardiff address if they checked ID, you'd like to think they'd believe a student card but I'm sceptical. I remember when I was living in Preston and we had an away game there a few years ago, got the bus from the ground to the station to save time as I lived near the station, cut through it as it was quicker and a policeman stopped me to say I couldn't leave the station. Only when answering questions about where I lived etc was I allowed out... this is Preston for crying out loud! 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We didn't have a choice, did we?

Apparently we could have opted for near bubble conditions (collecting from services etc) and have double the allocation, we rejected it wanting our fans to be able to travel as they wanted and wanting similar allocation to what we allowed. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Apparently we could have opted for near bubble conditions (collecting from services etc) and have double the allocation, we rejected it wanting our fans to be able to travel as they wanted and wanting similar allocation to what we allowed. 

Thanks.

I wasn't entirely clear on the situation. Seems ridiculous that they should apply these restrictions on top of a 50% reduction...their SAG have a lot to answer for.

It's baffling to me that in 2018 in all these "modernised" venues, and with all the money in football, the police get away with treating football fans like cattle.

On a freezing cold day, the idea you shouldn't be allowed to sit in a warm pub and should get inside the ground and stand about in the cold, is contemptible.

Is there a single other paying spectacle where "customers" (I'm not into modern football but don't undersell your own leverage) are treated quite so badly?

It's a noon kick off. A lot of pubs don't open early on Sunday anyway, did they think the civility of an hour in the warm of a pub would usher in World War 3?

With all that said, easiest trip to Cardiff I've ever had - decent pub before, walked to and from ground - mode of transport seems to make all the difference.

38 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's baffling to me that in 2018 in all these "modernised" venues, and with all the money in football, the police get away with treating football fans like cattle.

1400 paying customers are the reason things like this will continue.

I understand the whole "support the boys, home and away, thick and thin", I really do, but football fans are their own worst enemy.

Boycott: vote with your feet. It's the only language the suits understand.

• SC&T Board Members
31 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

1400 paying customers are the reason things like this will continue.

I understand the whole "support the boys, home and away, thick and thin", I really do, but football fans are their own worst enemy.

Boycott: vote with your feet. It's the only language the suits understand.

And for evidence of that, watch Dortmund tonight. 15,000 expected to boycott in protest at Monday night football, which they see as a further erosion of football's traditions and a lack of consideration for working-class fans who in many cases will have to be up at 6am next morning (as the German working day starts in most instances an hour or more earlier than hours). Kick-off is 8.30pm, so the game won't finish until around 10.30pm. They want fan-friendly kick-off times, specifically Saturday afternoon.

German fans know how to organise themselves. We sadly don't ... with the notable exception of Liverpool's 77th-minute walkout a couple of years back. We need more activism like that if we are to stop being treated like idiots who will just pay up and take whatever is thrown at us.

14 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

And for evidence of that, watch Dortmund tonight. 15,000 expected to boycott in protest at Monday night football, which they see as a further erosion of football's traditions and a lack of consideration for working-class fans who in many cases will have to be up at 6am next morning (as the German working day starts in most instances an hour or more earlier than hours). Kick-off is 8.30pm, so the game won't finish until around 10.30pm. They want fan-friendly kick-off times, specifically Saturday afternoon.

German fans know how to organise themselves. We sadly don't ... with the notable exception of Liverpool's 77th-minute walkout a couple of years back. We need more activism like that if we are to stop being treated like idiots who will just pay up and take whatever is thrown at us.

Unfortunately it’s a little too late. Same goes for safestanding, could and should have protested that a while ago. English football is on it’s ass.

24 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Unfortunately it’s a little too late. Same goes for safestanding, could and should have protested that a while ago. English football is on it’s ass.

I agree with your last statement but not the first. It isn't beyond saving yet.

Next time the club should have a very clear stance. Give us the full allocation, unrestricted travel and the game must be either on a Saturday or Tuesday. Anything less than that and they should decline all tickets and organise a beamback on the big screens in the ground. 

The media will pick up on it and hopefully there'll be some traction with other clubs perhaps following suit. 

It is pretty obvious why.

They absolutely hate us, the club, their fans do and their police do, so every single opportunity they can take to make the day as unpleasant for us as possible they will gladly take.

As I said in a thread yesterday I gave up on going to Cardiff after being attacked and having numerous missiles thrown at me some years ago.

Fair play to you if you still want to bother, but I’m so many years past having the enthusiasm to ever do so.

Final point- I hope our club notices this sort of original post by a sensible, constructive individual & does exactly the same to them.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It is pretty obvious why.

They absolutely hate us, the club, their fans do and their police do, so every single opportunity they can take to make the day as unpleasant for us as possible they will gladly take.

As I said in a thread yesterday I gave up on going to Cardiff after being attacked and having numerous missiles thrown at me some years ago.

Fair play to you if you still want to bother, but I’m so many years past having the enthusiasm to ever do so.

Final point- I hope our club notices this sort of original post by a sensible, constructive individual & does exactly the same to them.

We'd need A&SP to recommend travel restrictions on Cardiff fans or lower allocation. Without that, our club would have to give them at least 2,700 tickets and cannot impose restrictions. 

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

We'd need A&SP to recommend travel restrictions on Cardiff fans or lower allocation. Without that, our club would have to give them at least 2,700 tickets and cannot impose restrictions. 

Yet our SAG can apparently stop an English flag being displayed against them?

Not saying you are wrong, but how does that work?

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I agree with your last statement but not the first. It isn't beyond saving yet.

Next time the club should have a very clear stance. Give us the full allocation, unrestricted travel and the game must be either on a Saturday or Tuesday. Anything less than that and they should decline all tickets and organise a beamback on the big screens in the ground. 

The media will pick up on it and hopefully there'll be some traction with other clubs perhaps following suit. 

Noooooooo we'd lose a beamback! Organise a one off to allow fans to watch on bctv 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

2,000 tickets is the minimum.

"34.2 Facilities for visiting supporters

34.2.1 Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000. "

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-5--fixtures/

12 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

BTW, TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND fans voted with their feet and stayed away from Dortmund's match tonight. That is how to protest and make your displeasure felt!

Exactly this is the sort of action needed, but the problem comes down to the super fans of the modern game - those who will buy tickets no matter the price, no matter the restrictions - then usually have the gaul to post on social media about how they are better supporters than everyone else.

Archived