IGNORED

Arsenal v Man City

Lrrr

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes they're a shadow of their former selves but have certainly perked up since Christmas. Didn't think Gattuso - the poor man's Steve Galliers - had it in him. Not sure they're good enough to beat Arsenal though, if the Arse can be arsed that is. 

This is Arsenal, they lose to plenty of average prem sides. AC Milan wont be afraid and Gattuso will get them playing to their maximum.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

About Laporte, they want the PL won as soon as possible and their current pairing is winning it for them, why would you risk that? Laporte and Stones will be their long term CB pairing once Kompany/Otamendi are done, maybe as early as next season. As for the cherrypicking players comment, we kind of did that in our L1 winning season, didn't hear any of our fans complain we'd taken the best players in the league.

I would argue we didn't do that in our L1 winning season. The majority of our signings were free transfers or loans. Flint cost £300k, Luke Freeman came from a team who'd been relegated to League Two, Marlon Pack cost peanuts. Wade Elliot was free. Agard was the only really signing we paid (relatively) big money for. I don't think it's comparable to what Man City have done. Pep has spent nearly £500million in two seasons!

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I would argue we didn't do that in our L1 winning season. The majority of our signings were free transfers or loans. Flint cost £300k, Luke Freeman came from a team who'd been relegated to League Two, Marlon Pack cost peanuts. Wade Elliot was free. Agard was the only really signing we paid (relatively) big money for. I don't think it's comparable to what Man City have done. Pep has spent nearly £500million in two seasons!

The point was using financial clout to cherry pick players, the lure of bigger wages at L1 level is as much to do with it. Smith we exchanged Liam Kelly and paid some cash. Think we must have paid something for Little given he had a year left on his contract, must have paid decent wages to tempt Wilbraham to drop from the premier league to play for us. Compensation for Ayling. As said its not so much about how much was spent in fees but we could offer higher wages and cherry picked our choice of players from league 1 which other clubs couldn't afford to do, just working on a different financial scale. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

The point was using financial clout to cherry pick players, the lure of bigger wages at L1 level is as much to do with it. Smith we exchanged Liam Kelly and paid some cash. Think we must have paid something for Little given he had a year left on his contract, must have paid decent wages to tempt Wilbraham to drop from the premier league to play for us. Compensation for Ayling. As said its not so much about how much was spent in fees but we could offer higher wages and cherry picked our choice of players from league 1 which other clubs couldn't afford to do, just working on a different financial scale. 

Fair point, there are some comparisons. It is one of the weird things about modern football - that fans can feel 'proud' of their club, even if that success has essentially been bought and/or has no real connection to the geographical identity of the club. Taking Man City as an example, they're owned by Sheiks, managed by a Spaniard who previously managed Bayern and Barcelona, and have zero Mancunians playing for them. I appreciate that's how modern football is, but it's funny when you think about it.

I think a lot of people are very harsh on Wenger.

Yes, his Arsenal are a shadow of what they were 15 years ago, but he has totally transformed the club on and off the pitch.

Before Wenger came in they had no league consistancy, finishing 12th in the season 2 before he took over, and playing turgid football.

The changes he made at Arsenal when he came in, around drinking culture and diets, made him ahead of the time and they benefitted hugely and other clubs followed suit pretty sharpish.

I do think he should be looking at resigning, and last year after the FA Cup win would have been ideal.

I hope for him that Arsenal win the Europa League and his time with them doesn't get tarnished further still.

Such a shame that Wengers ego and stubborness is tainting his career at Arsenal, he was revolutionary and outstanding in  his tactical nous and fantastic recruitment policy up until a couple or so years ago.  But you have to swallow your pride and realise when its time to retire gracefully....... he is in danger of being remembered as a misguided and naive coach if he does not wake up and smell the coffee.  Thanks for the memories Arsene , but even the magnificient Thiery Henry believes it is time for you to count your millions and leave.  You will NEVER recreate your past glories, so please please go.

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Such a shame that Wengers ego and stubborness is tainting his career at Arsenal, he was revolutionary and outstanding in  his tactical nous and fantastic recruitment policy up until a couple or so years ago.  But you have to swallow your pride and realise when its time to retire gracefully....... he is in danger of being remembered as a misguided and naive coach if he does not wake up and smell the coffee.  Thanks for the memories Arsene , but even the magnificient Thiery Henry believes it is time for you to count your millions and leave.  You will NEVER recreate your past glories, so please please go.

His recruitment policy has been largely awful for a while now. Everyone has known for years that Arsenal are in dire need of a tough as nails centre midfielder or two. Arsenal have no backbone. Which is odd considering Wenger's most successful team was built around two magnificent midfielders (Vieira, Petit) of that very ilk.

23 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

While Arsenal are obviously pretty pitiful, you can't blame them for losing to a club who've quite clearly just cherrypicked the best players to buy the title.

Go on then, I'll bite.

Which of the players on that pitch last night, are the best players we signed to 'buy the title'?

21 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think Man City's spending has surpassed just about anybody's. Got an injured defender? No problem - they can just buy another for £57million (who, absurdly, hardly even gets a game).

Not what happened, but don't let me stop you...

20 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fair point, there are some comparisons. It is one of the weird things about modern football - that fans can feel 'proud' of their club, even if that success has essentially been bought and/or has no real connection to the geographical identity of the club. Taking Man City as an example, they're owned by Sheiks, managed by a Spaniard who previously managed Bayern and Barcelona, and have zero Mancunians playing for them. I appreciate that's how modern football is, but it's funny when you think about it.

Yeah, not true.

14 minutes ago, MCFC said:

Go on then, I'll bite.

Which of the players on that pitch last night, are the best players we signed to 'buy the title'?

You are correct many teams have tried to buy the title with what they think are the best players and failed miserably.

They have to be coached properly and gel as a team or it's just not going to work

33 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

His recruitment policy has been largely awful for a while now. Everyone has known for years that Arsenal are in dire need of a tough as nails centre midfielder or two. Arsenal have no backbone. Which is odd considering Wenger's most successful team was built around two magnificent midfielders (Vieira, Petit) of that very ilk.

Exactly.....................it has all gone horribly wrong....... just don't get it.   He has been allowed too much undiluted, unchallenged power, and has made a massive mess of it.  [But the owners don't care, as he has made the club big bucks]

3 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

You are correct many teams have tried to buy the title with what they time are the best players and failed miserably.

They have to be coached properly and gel as a team or it's just not going to work

You'd have beaten Arsenal in that Carabao Cup final, I have no doubt of that, they are spineless.

21 hours ago, hodge said:

As for the cherrypicking players comment, we kind of did that in our L1 winning season

Yep, everyone does it to one extent or another, you work your way up the food chain and get to the top 6. Even the Real and Barca come along and cherry pick their players. 
You can buy anyone but without organisation and coaching, and the right selection you'd have an expensive underachieving team. Man City look to have it right, Man U have a £90m player that can't fit in, Chelsea's manager isn't allowed to buy the players he wants and Arsenal went through years of needing centre backs and strikers and buying midfielders ! They've all cherry picked but Man City seem to have done a better job. Even with Pep, I can't believe the Arse didn't make an approach ages before, but no one wanted to push Arsen and now he's just spent over £100m on 2 strikers I think he'll be there next year.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Has Pep not spent around £450million since he joined?

That's not what you said, though.

You stated: ' quite clearly just cherrypicked the best players to buy the title'.

I asked you who those supposedly best players were, not how much he has spent.

1 hour ago, MCFC said:

You'd have beaten Arsenal in that Carabao Cup final, I have no doubt of that, they are spineless.

Arsenal are spineless?

What about supporting a football club whose owner literally supports the execution of gay people? 

Those in glass houses...

Screenshot_20180302-213652.png

2 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Arsenal are spineless?

What about supporting a football club whose owner literally supports the execution of gay people? 

Those in glass houses...

Screenshot_20180302-213652.png

I was talking about their performance, but you already knew that.

Bore off.

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh please. Hardly first teamers, are they? 

Adarabioyo has played a few times, Foden is a regular in the matchday squad, and if he hadn't got an injury recently, would have played more.

But again, that's not what you stated. Going to answer my other question?

23 minutes ago, MCFC said:

That's not what you said, though.

You stated: ' quite clearly just cherrypicked the best players to buy the title'.

I asked you who those supposedly best players were, not how much he has spent.

Where do I start? Ederson, Kyle Walker, John Stones, Mendy, Danilo, Laporte... there's not a team in the Premier League that can match that has matched that kind of spending on a keeper/defence. 

I've got nothing against Man City as a club, by the way. But I do feel that these ridiculous sums are ruining football as a competitive sport.

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Where do I start? Ederson, Kyle Walker, John Stones, Mendy, Danilo, Laporte... there's not a team in the Premier League that can match that has matched that kind of spending on a keeper/defence. 

I've got nothing against Man City as a club, by the way. But I do feel that these ridiculous sums are ruining football as a competitive sport.

agree with both ends of the argument. There is waaaaaaaaay too much money involved with wages etc but look at what Man City have done re coaching the kids, local community etc. I agree with you but overall find it difficult to knock 'em. As a Bath lad born and bred and associated with the "Book" family my MCFC friend will get the gist

Archived