IGNORED

Returning Strikers

NewquayRed

Milan could be back before long, not sure about Snakey.

We do need to work out how to play with Lois though because what we are doing with him isn't working.  I think he needs to play alongside a big striker, but that means pushing our top scorer back into midfield.  

We need to do enough with him to decide whether he is worth a fee at the end of the season.

18 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We need to do enough with him to decide whether he is worth a fee at the end of the season.

Right now it looks highly unlikely.

From what I have seen, which is not very much, I cant see how he would ever fit into our style of play.

I think the lad looks incredibly nervous and unsure when he does get on the pitch and looking at him after the final whistle on Saturday he  appeared somewhat dejected to me.

I suspect there may be a player in there but maybe not for us.

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Right now it looks highly unlikely.

From what I have seen, which is not very much, I cant see how he would ever fit into our style of play.

I think the lad looks incredibly nervous and unsure when he does get on the pitch and looking at him after the final whistle on Saturday he  appeared somewhat dejected to me.

I suspect there may be a player in there but maybe not for us.

Of course we could be sandbagging.  Maybe Lee knows there is a good player in him, but if we make him look crap until the end of the season, we may get him for a lot less than the €7m He originally cost.

Swapping reid around to accommodate diony would be rediculous. Taylor and djuric would boost numbers but i dont think taylor will ever be the answer in terms of goals,  and im getting more convinced that djuric wont be the answer ever, for our club. Both good pros though and never seem to cause any trouble.

easier said than done, but as it stands, there are probably 5 or 6 that we should be looking to move on... taylor, djuric, engvall, hegeler, and possibly taylor moore if there is any discernable interest in him.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Of course we could be sandbagging.  Maybe Lee knows there is a good player in him, but if we make him look crap until the end of the season, we may get him for a lot less than the €7m He originally cost.

We’ve already agreed a fee.

4 hours ago, simon uk said:

...im getting more convinced that djuric wont be the answer ever, for our club. Both good pros though and never seem to cause any trouble.

I really dont know what player you've been watching but I'm sure the majority of fans will agree that Djuric is a great player. 

He is one of the best players I've seen in the championship in terms of ability to control the ball with the head.

I have very rarely seen him lose a 1-1 aerial battle to get the ball, and when he gets it he can direct is with such accuracy it really is remarkable. 

Not only is his ability to hold up the ball the best in our squad IMO, he is very nimble and has a great touch for a man of his size (I reckon more technical with the ball than Fammy and Diony.)

Also, the times I've seen him get an opportunity on goal he has had a decent finish on him!

Personally I think Djuric is a nailed on 1st team player, albeit making appearences off the bench or being utilised in specific circumstances to give us a different option.

4 hours ago, simon uk said:

Swapping reid around to accommodate diony would be rediculous. Taylor and djuric would boost numbers but i dont think taylor will ever be the answer in terms of goals,  and im getting more convinced that djuric wont be the answer ever, for our club. Both good pros though and never seem to cause any trouble.

easier said than done, but as it stands, there are probably 5 or 6 that we should be looking to move on... taylor, djuric, engvall, hegeler, and possibly taylor moore if there is any discernable interest in him.

Hegeler is a great footballer...no way should we get rid of him....

16 minutes ago, Williams' Penalty said:

I really dont know what player you've been watching but I'm sure the majority of fans will agree that Djuric is a great player. 

He is one of the best players I've seen in the championship in terms of ability to control the ball with the head.

I have very rarely seen him lose a 1-1 aerial battle to get the ball, and when he gets it he can direct is with such accuracy it really is remarkable. 

Not only is his ability to hold up the ball the best in our squad IMO, he is very nimble and has a great touch for a man of his size (I reckon more technical with the ball than Fammy and Diony.)

Also, the times I've seen him get an opportunity on goal he has had a decent finish on him!

Personally I think Djuric is a nailed on 1st team player, albeit making appearences off the bench or being utilised in specific circumstances to give us a different option.

Agree 100% with this. Although the big question is whether or not he can stay fit for long enough. 

16 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

Still hoping that the boy Diony comes good, however cant see it

Does anyone actually know what the situation is with the return of either Taylor and Djuric ?, one or both would be a great boost over the coming weeks  ?

Was chatting with Taylor and Woodrow on Saturday at the game.

Taylor said he’s unsure of when he’ll be back but definitely we’ll before end of season. He’s getting back into training now but he said that the fitness of the rest of the team puts him way behind.

Woodrow wasn’t injured, just dropped!

What I found interesting was how Taylor explained that the biggest challenge for him has been adapting to our style. He’s used to being used for his strengths as a striker but in this team, everyone must press hard & defend. And only once the ball is won back, can he play to his strengths. 

It made me realise that as with every player we sign, they may be great players but it’s their ability to adapt to our style that can be the toughest part. Once/if the adapt, that’s when we get to see their true talent.

O’Dowda is probably the best example of someone who has made the transition and  come out the other side looking fantastic 

1 hour ago, Jcolebristol said:

Was chatting with Taylor and Woodrow on Saturday at the game.

Taylor said he’s unsure of when he’ll be back but definitely we’ll before end of season. He’s getting back into training now but he said that the fitness of the rest of the team puts him way behind.

Woodrow wasn’t injured, just dropped!

What I found interesting was how Taylor explained that the biggest challenge for him has been adapting to our style. He’s used to being used for his strengths as a striker but in this team, everyone must press hard & defend. And only once the ball is won back, can he play to his strengths. 

It made me realise that as with every player we sign, they may be great players but it’s their ability to adapt to our style that can be the toughest part. Once/if the adapt, that’s when we get to see their true talent.

O’Dowda is probably the best example of someone who has made the transition and  come out the other side looking fantastic 

Very intresting.  I really do think that Matty Taylor is a very good footballer and if we persever with him he could play an important part for us.  I don't think he's ever let us down as a sub, and it's a shame that his fitness let him down just when we needed him.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Very intresting.  I really do think that Matty Taylor is a very good footballer and if we persever with him he could play an important part for us.  I don't think he's ever let us down as a sub, and it's a shame that his fitness let him down just when we needed him.

He was a bargain too..! :clapping:

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Unfinished business I feel, possible cameo in a Wembley Playoff final scoring an injury time winner against Warnocks Cardiff - does it get any better than that people ;) 

6 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

Unfinished business I feel, possible cameo in a Wembley Playoff final scoring an injury time winner against Warnocks Cardiff - does it get any better than that people ;) 

We`d be able to hear the howls of anguish emanating from Horfield all the way up at Wembley.

That truly would be the worst day of any g*shead`s life - and that`s against some pretty stiff competition!

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not quite sure how our style of play has led to Taylor missing open goals and taking air shots when in the six yard box. I just don't see him having the ability to do it for us.

Archived