IGNORED

Flint for England WC Squad

WarksRobin

On BBC 5Live just now they were talking about potential surprise inclusions in the England squad for Russia. 

Notable mentions for Harry Macguire and our own Aden Flint. Rachel Burden even knew about his new contract and mentioned what a great season City are having. 

Southgate wouldn't look at CBs below the PL largely because they're not up against top quality strikers every week. No way he could judge how they'd do against international strikers.

Personally I don't think Flint the skills when in possession to impress Southgate if he ever did see Flint play.

8 minutes ago, lancashirerobin said:

Why not? He’s better than Smalling or Phil Jones. Would give England an added presence from corners at least, they need something different so why not Flinty. If we go up he will make the squad next year. 

a couple of friendlies coming up, I am sure with the big clubs still involved in Europe, there will be a lot of withdrawals from them. Gareth might be tempted to take a look?

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

a couple of friendlies coming up, I am sure with the big clubs still involved in Europe, there will be a lot of withdrawals from them. Gareth might be tempted to take a look?

I seriously doubt it.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Southgate wouldn't look at CBs below the PL largely because they're not up against top quality strikers every week. No way he could judge how they'd do against international strikers.

Personally I don't think Flint the skills when in possession to impress Southgate if he ever did see Flint play.

And Phil Jones has?

I think Bobby Reid should go myself..

Flint's form at Alfreton Town during the early 2010–11 campaign earned him his first international call-up when Paul Fairclough named his within his 16-man England C squad for the friendly with Wales national semi-professional football team. He played the first 45 minutes in the 2–2 draw at Latham Park in Newtown, Wales.[19]

Flint was capped for a second and final time in October 2010 when he played the entire 90 minutes of England C's 1–0 away win at the Kadriorg Stadium, Tallinn against an Estonia U-23's in the International Challenge Trophy.[20]

When Flint signed for Swindon Town in January 2011, he became ineligible for selection for the England C squad so was unable to make the final squad for the International Challenge Trophy.[21]

Defensively, would I take any of the current England centre backs in preference to Flint? Possibly. Factor in though his massively improved passing ability and goal scoring prowess, then he’s on the plane for me.

He’s proven he can cope with the best. 

Until England look to build a team, rather than select a group of individual  ‘stars’ - based on the fact they are regulars (and made to look good by their foreign teammates) in the Premiership top six - we will continue in international obscurity. 

Look at it this way, set Henderson as a threshold for squad qualification and 90% of players in the Championship would be candidates. 

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Defensively, would I take any of the current England centre backs in preference to Flint? Possibly. Factor in though his massively improved passing ability and goal scoring prowess, then he’s on the plane for me.

He’s proven he can cope with the best. 

Until England look to build a team, rather than select a group of individual  ‘stars’ - based on the fact they are regulars (and made to look good by their foreign teammates) in the Premiership top six - we will continue in international obscurity. 

Look at it this way, set Henderson as a threshold for squad qualification and 90% of players in the Championship would be candidates. 

Henderson is far from world class but he is a level above any championship midfielder.

Having seen a documentary about the 1966 World Cup winning squad, nobody expected Jack Charlton of being selected pre-tournament but her was brought in to "do a job" in the position and formation that Sir Alf wanted.  Not that you can mention Sir Alf and Gareth Southgate in the same sentence.

Or Aden Flint and Jack Charlton...

Archived