IGNORED

Defeat from the jaws of victory?

BTRFTG

Disappointing that a season that promised so much appears to be imploding so quickly. Given we appeared to be getting things right in exploiting the qualities we now have at The Gate I don’t welcome talk of future boycotts but fans justifiable comments need to be acted upon immediately by the club if this isn't to become major setback. It seems to me there are two areas of grievance:

Pricing – football is a business and has to pay its way and rich folks have no obligation to subsidise other's passions. Fans need to put up or shut up if voicing unreasonable demands, so in that respect prices are what they will be . The club holds the controls but fans ultimately the power.  The club needs to identify the critical point at which fans begin to question whether or not they can afford to attend? It’s a binary option so the club need to err on the side of caution. Assuming fans will pay whatever is asked is both naive and insulting, we’re smarter than that. Thinking the carrot of Premiership dreams provides an expansive safety net turns nightmare when results more accurately reflect reality, as has likely materialised. Fans appreciate ticket income is negligible at Premier level, the hike isn't to cover any risk should we go up as the mega millions TV money would see to that.  Then there's the flip side. If its about balancing  the books the board should undertake a critical review of costs, for we as sure have wasted several small fortunes on 'talent' that by any measure fall into the box marked 'dross'. Who got things wrong so frequently and with such largesse? If fans are asked to share the pain what of these anonymous types who clearly made serious errors in our recruitment and retention? How have they shared the pain?

Attitude toward the fans – had the upturn simply been a good-time,  glossy veneer for it sure as looks like those in control hold fans in little more than contempt?  My original question re the price of loyalty focused not on the pricing uplifts, which though significant and unwelcome were not of particular concern to me. Rather, I wanted to know what I was getting for my money and to be pretty much told that wasn’t my business is disgraceful. For those for whom pricing is a factor to again not be consulted or worse be misled in hiding behind spurious and incorrect legalese, is something I’d expect of Michael O'Leary but not those in Steve L's sights. The treatment of protected interest groups is beyond contempt and puts all other gripes in perspective. What I’d be interested to know is were the packed concourses this year, fuelled by an attractive loyalty discount, a loss-leader? Did the club lose money on all those supping double pints and scoffing lamb pies? I thought it was a welcome and hugely successful initiative and concluded the immediate discounts available would have been enhanced rather than removed. Or did the club assume that once such behaviours had begun to be adopted they’d continue even with incentives removed? If so, that’s Ratner level contempt. Consumers know loyalty points have no redeemable value and are as easily written off as they are handed out. Buy a dozen pints and get a free programme one doesn’t want; free admittance to a Micky Mouse fixture they can't give away – big deal : no thanks.

Whilst I fear it’s too late on the pitch this year the board still has time to ensure both stands and concourses remain packed next year, but that requires action, change and possibly heads to roll. 

36 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

just a bit melodramatic mate.

Not really Wendy. The club are assuming that the upward progress on the pitch during the first half of this season will continue. And if so, that we will pay the prices, and change seats to suit the club. That we'll turn up and fill the stadium every match. 

However, the poor results on the pitch for the last two and a half months, will play a significant part in many supporters thinking. 

Thus, on the one hand we have a club thinking we'll fill the stadium with ST's while many fans will say that if the poor results continue, there will be plenty of empty seats to choose from. 

I know that I'm a bit repetitive and think like an accountant - forecast the future by looking too much at the past. 

So here is a question for all to answer. 

Based not on history, if you were a betting person, in which order from first to twelth, will these clubs gain promotion to the Premier. None are currently in top six so it's not about this season 

Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Nottingham Forest, Norwich, Ipswich, Sunderland, Blackburn, QPR, Leeds, Bolton, Bristol City, PNE. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

In which order from first to twelth, will these clubs gain promotion to the Premier.

Sadly, at least half the clubs listed will never make the Premier such is the divisive nature of football these days. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up seeing the top 28 clubs as Prem 1&2, possibly with a single game play off from the lower tier (with FL) that will ensure a closed shop. Fewer domestic fixtures will allow the big boys to exploit their Euro League money-making aspirations.  If we're lucky and on a good season we might just scrape into Prem 2.

"football is a business and it has to pay its way" 

Thats a joke surely?

Virtually all championship clubs are nowhere near paying their way but are reliant on wealthy owners or companies writing off debts or turning them into shares.

Even seemingly modest clubs like brentford and millwall are not in anyway operating on a sustainable level never mind the rest of the division.

Its a vicious circle though because the reward for being sustainable is relegation and being at a clear disadvantage to the rest of the division.

We'll be in the Championship next year and the club probably won't have a cup run or limelight to bask in. 

Let's see whether, financially, we've moved forwards. I think we won't, unless we make a fair few quid in transfers. Turnover will be down. 

Attendances will be lower. 

Archived