IGNORED

The Burton Albion FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 37

Septic Peg

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

How long are people going to keep repeating the same old line ' oh if you offered this in August blah blah blah'.

If I offered you this in December?

The bigger picture ? Last season we avoided the drop by the skin of our teeth, this year we have progressed and are better?   We are safe with loads spare and are a top half side. It is not blah blah blah. That is improvement. And next season we will be better again.  That cup run had some thinking we are actually better than we are?   We will finish somewhere between 6th and 10th.  I am happy for that and believe that we are not buying journey men which has been tried before. And failed. Next season I want us to be better again.  We are light years behind Villa, Wolves, etc.  We are still punching above our weight. 

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I dont think, honestly that the remit for this season was promotion hence why Jan was subdued.  The squad clearly isnt ready, so a one hit in the Prem wouldnt serve us well and may set us back further if we werent ready.  It's not about the gamble anymore, its about solidifying and building and then when ready going for it. Not Spend ALL THE MONEY and get messed about in the Prem

I agree in part that perhaps the club were surprised by the progress we have made BUT these chances come around rarely and it's looking like we sat on our hands instead of grabbing the wonderful opportunity that presented itself to us in December. 2nd in the League and Semi finals of the League Cup,

There is an arrogance in thinking we can pick and choose the season when we get promoted.

It's looking like we've spoiled the ship for a h'appeth of tar .

I thought it was a poor game today played on a bobbly pitch.

We looked really tired. It looked like a typical lower league match.

I thought we were second to the knock downs in the first half but that improved second half.

I thought our midfield made too many poor final passes and Famara looked very loose.

I thought Magners was man of the match despite only playing  the second half which rather sums up the match.

They looked terrible with so many ageing players but we just couldn't impose ourselves enough on them.

I cannot see why LJ persists with Diony at the expense of Engvall. He offers absolutely nothing. I never like criticising current players but no one can tell me he is a Championship striker. It stands out a mile.

19 hours ago, Aizoon said:

They used to say that the pictures were better on the wireless. Well, they certainly weren't today. Can anyone assure me that it was less tedious in the flesh than it sounded on the radio?

I was lucky Aiz!  I was in Parnu for a concert and didn't have the time or the WiFi  available to listen.  The concert was much better than the match,  it was performed by three singers called "Tenors Unlimited"  one American and two English, a full house and in an attractive seaside town,  even with the snow.  So today I am catching up on the comments about game.

20 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

3 points off the playoffs, a young and generally exciting team, 17 goals from a player that’s come through the ranks in his first season as an out and put forward, lots of national media attention, beating 4 prem teams inc Man U and going toe to toe with Man C over two legs? Then yes I’d have taken that in December as well. This squad has more potential than any I can recall in many a year.

2015 was the best year for me. Champions for the first time in my lifetime, league title sewn up in quick time, awesome start to the season, exciting football, league and cup double, 8-2 final game of season with a centre half hat trick including a rabona.

There will be no open top bus tours at the end of this season.......

20 hours ago, Aizoon said:

They used to say that the pictures were better on the wireless. Well, they certainly weren't today. Can anyone assure me that it was less tedious in the flesh than it sounded on the radio?

I'd love to say yes , but it was awful. Made slightly less so by a very good day out.

Archived