IGNORED

England Internationals

Sweeneys Penalties

England have two international fixtures this month... away in Holland and at home to Italy

Bearing in mind the relatively few numbers of players to pick from, I'd be quite happy if Southgate went a bit "left field" for his squad and team selections.

There is no point in picking Harry Kane (for example). You learn nothing. I'd like to see Glenn Murray get a shot though... what's to lose?

Just wondered about other people's thoughts

Ashley Barnes would be a better shout imo. Think he can play for Austria funnily enough but he has been outstanding this season as most of the Burnley team. Ben Mee and Lewis Dunk could also be looked at. While I think Ashley Young at full back needs to have a look. All in all, a few surprises would be ok but still need to integrate most of the squad as the tournament is just 3 months away.

Southgate needs to get them all used to playing together and his system of three at the back. Needs to pick strong teams in mu opinion

Glen Murray might he having a purple patch but certainly not good enough.  Cant just go picking people that that. Squad would be massively different every month

The squad pretty much picks itself I reckon. 19/23 picks are nailed on

Should pick full strength IMO this near a tournament. Iv got no idea what the best England 11 is but hopefully Southgate does. Need to get them well drilled and into a system they all understand. 

otherwise prob just get picked apart by  inferior individuals who play better as a team (as normal)

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

How many times have we seen strikers that we all know are not good enough, but because of good form get a call up and look way below standard when pulling on the England shirt. Kevin Davies, Jay Boothroyd, David Nugent etc. Murray falls into that category.

crack is...if you cant experiment in a Friendly match, when can you? 

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Better to experiment with players that are going to play in the world cup. Work out how to fit the likes of Sterling and Kane into the same side. Work on systems etc.

Think Harry Kane's fitness to play may be called into question after his unfortunate injury at Bournemouth this afternoon. An England squad going into a World Cup wouldn't be an England squad without an injury crisis. Still plenty of time for a key player to cop a metatarsal injury

2 hours ago, internetjef said:

Should pick full strength IMO this near a tournament. Iv got no idea what the best England 11 is but hopefully Southgate does. Need to get them well drilled and into a system they all understand. 

otherwise prob just get picked apart by  inferior individuals who play better as a team (as normal)

I agree. At least then we can be organised as we lose to a nation with the population of Keynsham. 

48 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The big question for me is who plays in goal?

Hart couldn't save a fiver at our local bank and there isn't really any other stand out choices. Never has the choice of goalies been so lean.

What!!??!!?? Butland and Pickford are both exceptional players, pickford especially. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

The big question for me is who plays in goal?

Hart couldn't save a fiver at our local bank and there isn't really any other stand out choices. Never has the choice of goalies been so lean.

Pickford probably the best shout, been let down by the defences in front of him this season and last but he looks decent, I’m sure the stats last year still said he was one of the best keepers in the league despite how many goals Sunderland conceded

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Pickford probably the best shout, been let down by the defences in front of him this season and last but he looks decent, I’m sure the stats last year still said he was one of the best keepers in the league despite how many goals Sunderland conceded

Pope for Burnley has been much better imo. 

30 games and 12 clean sheets in the prem. Although Burnley have a strong defence he still makes a lot of saves during games. 

2 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Pope for Burnley has been much better imo. 

30 games and 12 clean sheets in the prem. Although Burnley have a strong defence he still makes a lot of saves during games. 

You’re right I forgot about him. I wouldn’t be against him getting a call up at all

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

How many times have we seen strikers that we all know are not good enough, but because of good form get a call up and look way below standard when pulling on the England shirt. Kevin Davies, Jay Boothroyd, David Nugent etc. Murray falls into that category.

So does the striker Michael Ricketts! Didn’t he make just one appearance for England in a friendly away at The Netherlands?! 

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Pope in goal for me. His record since filling heatons boots at Burnley is quite outstanding 

Great shout!  Not only good with his hands but pretty good at keeping shots out with his feet.  You can see the headlines in the tabloids after the Italy game id he plays and has a blinder - Azzuri kept out by Pope!

And given the fact that most of our central defenders aren't up to much at the moment, James Tarkowski deserves a mention as well.

15 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Great shout!  Not only good with his hands but pretty good at keeping shots out with his feet.  You can see the headlines in the tabloids after the Italy game id he plays and has a blinder - Azzuri kept out by Pope!

And given the fact that most of our central defenders aren't up to much at the moment, James Tarkowski deserves a mention as well.

Or Ben Mee, both been solid for Burnley.

I just hope we pick form over ‘name’ 

my XI based on current form.

———————— Pope ————————

Walker - Stones - Tarkowski - Young

————— Ox ——— Wilshere ————

——Sterling - Lingard - Rashford ——

———————— Kane —————————

CM is a real poor position for us, having to go Fromm Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes to what we currently have is scary

teams have come from "nowhere" to win competitions before... Greece and Denmark spring to mind. Kane would be a huge loss, but I'm a fan of picking "form" players as opposed to "big name" players. On the back of that, I totally agree about Ben Mee. I also go back to Glenn Murray, but accept Ashley Barnes would also be useful. Nick Pope is an excellent shout. 

Southgate has two friendlies coming up and has a very small "instant" pool of players. He needs to expand it, and games against Holland and Italy seem a good time to do it

12 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Or Ben Mee, both been solid for Burnley.

I just hope we pick form over ‘name’ 

my XI based on current form.

———————— Pope ————————

Walker - Stones - Tarkowski - Young

————— Ox ——— Wilshere ————

——Sterling - Lingard - Rashford ——

———————— Kane —————————

CM is a real poor position for us, having to go Fromm Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes to what we currently have is scary

I mean, you're right when you say pick from form over name. 

Wilshere should not be picked from form, name, or ever. He's crap. Stones certainly shouldn't be picked based on form.

Sadly, despite the rest of the squad not being the best technically, they should probably get picked due to their form so far this season. 

Archived