IGNORED

Article on Lloyd Kelly - replacement for Joe?

devoncider

Given some of the chat around Kelly possibly stepping up next year, I'd thought I'd write a piece on them both. Spoiler - the more I think about it, I do believe Lloyd has what it takes to step up and be a big player for us.

https://harryelliott24.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/lloyd-kelly-a-ready-made-replacement-for-joe-bryan/

Unless you’re a goalkeeper then positions can change from a youngster to professional. Carey was a RB - CB. Wasn’t Cole Skuse also a right back? Orr went from CM - RB and as we’ve seen with our bobby even later on in your career you might find a better position. I can’t persoanlly see Kelly being a CB unless he bulks out a bit, looks a bit on the small side. Would be a Ayling/Williams CB if he were to ever play there. 

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He is surely going to be a centre back, as he looks to be such a natural at defending, and is 6 foot 3. Johnson said he is going to be a centre back, as well as Lloyd himself.

I don't disagree with that in the long long term - I am thinking a few months ahead though. If JB goes in summer, who is our nailed on LB in August. Kelly/Mags or a new signing? I'd back Kelly 

14 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

That’s the plan eventually.

I so hope so. The idea of having several "of our own" on the pitch at BS3 is the stuff of legends!

Look at Wolves and it's the foreign legion ( as with too many clubs) and i'm sure Steve Bull who propelled the modern WWFC is disappointed that there's not more local lads coming through .

It's sad that there is a perspective that our home grown talent is the SL/MA "cheap option" and players are judged more by their transfer fee than their raw ability potential.

I spent some time last summer with Ivan Testimantanu  and asked him about all things football and BCFC and he said that his belief was that we should always use our home grown players as they give 15-20% extra to their ability because they die for the shirt. It reminded me of Skuse and Carey when we were likely to go down but didn't .

What I believe about our club and why I remain a happy clapper is that we have an owner who is a Bristol boy, a Manager who truly loves the club and players coming through who'll rise to the occasion like Joe and Bobby.

Bobby Reid and players changing positiins is an interesting subject reminding me of geoff merrick, who was a left back but made his name as a centre back. Clive whitehead and trevor tainton were both wingers who moved to left and right back.  Didnt donnie gillies move from the front line to the back too.

Im sure last time i saw clive whitehead play was as a centre half for pompey and dont forget ray cashley was a full back who went in goal as a result of the goalkeeper going off and continued his career in that position.  Im sure there have been a few more.

Archived