IGNORED

The diving saga...

Robbored

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He did appear go down easy mind (having been there)... if a bloke does that to him in the pub or the street I guarantee he stays on his feet

I wonder where the directive comes from for players to dive or go down easy?  I assume the management team and the players as a group are comfortable with it if it gains an advantage.  As you said IMO Wright should never have dropped to the floor like he did, it wasn’t as if he was punched in the face by AJ, it was embarrassing.

Would be good if the players and management met with fans to ask what they would prefer, I.e. 1) no diving or faking it which might cost us some points, or 2) taking opportunities to dive etc in order to gain some extra points.  

Personally I would vote 1 all day long as integrity of the game and my team is more important that anything else.  I think if we took this approach then I like to think the players would respect the decision

On 24/03/2018 at 18:04, Midlands Robin said:

For certain situations I'd allow the Ref to award a goal in the same way Refs can award a penalty try in Rugby.

The best example of how unfair a penalty can be is the quarter final between Ghana and Uruguay in 2010. Suarez deliberately hand balled to prevent a goal and what would have been the winner for Ghana. Ghana's reward for this was to have a penalty against the keeper which unfortunately hit the crossbar. My point is, the keeper had already been beaten and only Suarez's cheating prevented the goal. Why should the attacking side be made to beat the keeper again? Ghana should have been awarded the goal they were denied.

As for diving today, retrospective punishments up to and including changing the result of the match is the only way to stamp it out. Until the result of the game hinges on it going the other way, players still won't fear a short suspension. The reward is too great in the long run.

The Suarez / Ghana example is an interesting one. Without checking the replays, I believe the incident came from a Ghana free kick that was contentiously awarded, with some claiming that the Ghanaian player had dived to win the free kick in the first place (near the Uruguay box) - therefore the free kick shouldn’t have been awarded, and there wouldn’t have been any need for Suarez to handle on the line. 

Two wrongs don’t always make a right, but in this case I think the lead up to the incident is often overlooked. 

And Suarez was at least punished, unlike Thierry Henry a year earlier!

The problem with the retrospective punishment- let alone the points deduction...

It's an attractive idea on the face of it and certainly provides a deterrent. The issue I have with it is that the FA enforce the retrospective diving- like shirt holding in the box the year before- in a way that they pick out a few early cases, to 'make an example of them' as a way of sending out a message...then they tend to do **** all about it thereafter. Then, they tend to move onto their next half baked- good on paper but crap in reality- campaign.

The other point...how many big names have been banned for retrospectively diving?? Bailey Wright at our level, and Oumar Niasse in the PL were 2 of the early notable examples of this campaign. However, silence on the Harry Kane controversy at Anfield, just one example. I think Lamela possibly dived for the other pen too- this just runs the risk given how our esteemed masters of the game do things (and UEFA and FIFA are probably worse)! of small side, moderate side or 'ordinary' aka non name player getting banned, or points docked from club. Big fish with commercial value- be it club or player- sails on smoothly, or club no points deduction.

In short, it has to be applied across the board and consistently, or you may as well do get rid of this scheme! I don't trust the FA to do that, not at all.

The problem with diving is no one is accountable for their actions. 

Retrospective fines should be given out. 

Player 1st offence - 2000 fine

Player 2nd offence - 4000 fine 

Player 3rd offence - 8000 fine + 2 match ban

Etc

However I would like to add a total team divibg fine payable to the manager

1st player offence - warning

2nd player offence - warning

3rd player offence - 2000 fine

4th player offence - 7000 fine

5th player offence - 20000 fine + 1 match touchline ban

You would then have managers also paying the price for their players diving. 

Just my thoughts

Stevo

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:21, Red Right Hand said:

Keepers will have to watch their step then. What would happen, an outfield player would go in goal for that ten minutes I guess.

As they had to before the days of subs.

11 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

The problem with diving is no one is accountable for their actions. 

Retrospective fines should be given out. 

Player 1st offence - 2000 fine

Player 2nd offence - 4000 fine 

Player 3rd offence - 8000 fine + 2 match ban

Etc

However I would like to add a total team divibg fine payable to the manager

1st player offence - warning

2nd player offence - warning

3rd player offence - 2000 fine

4th player offence - 7000 fine

5th player offence - 20000 fine + 1 match touchline ban

You would then have managers also paying the price for their players diving. 

Just my thoughts

Stevo

At the top level the money that players and managers earn would render those fines  a minor inconvenience.

They are prepared to cheat because of the rewards, including financial, they can gain, so the only punitive action that will ever make managers and clubs really take notice is points deduction. The problem is that I can see such penalties being very contentious where European places, titles sort relegation are at stake and a diving accusation is marginal. Clubs can afford to take legal action in such circumstances and you can bet that footballs ruling bodies will never want to go there.

As a consequence I imagine we will continue to hear platitudes from the great and good of the game about the need to deal with diving, but little [racital action being taken to address the problem.

Archived