IGNORED

No more excuses.

Red 90

Since our last minute defeat to the league leaders wolves, our form went out the window and the excuses began.

-Cup run distraction

-Fatigue from pressing style of play/Fixture pile up

-Injury list

- Young inexperienced squad

Regardless of where we finish it’s been a great season for us, but with 8 games to go and only 1 point off a playoff spot (on paper an easier run in than the other playoff contenders) we are in the best position we have been in to get that 6th spot!

With no cup run, a rested refreshed squad after the international break, players coming back from injury and youngsters such as Kelly proving the kids can play at this level, there are no more excuses.

11 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

Since our last minute defeat to the league leaders wolves, our form went out the window and the excuses began.

-Cup run distraction

-Fatigue from pressing style of play/Fixture pile up

-Injury list

- Young inexperienced squad

Regardless of where we finish it’s been a great season for us, but with 8 games to go and only 1 point off a playoff spot (on paper an easier run in than the other playoff contenders) we are in the best position we have been in to get that 6th spot!

With no cup run, a rested refreshed squad after the international break, players coming back from injury and youngsters such as Kelly proving the kids can play at this level, there are no more excuses.

there not so much excuses but more facts to be fair,

Regardless where we finish this season it's be a remarkable turn around, and if we don't get into the play-offs it will be disappointing but not the end of the world,

Whats more important is using this season as a platform and build on it, if we fail to do that then the serious questions need to be asked and head will have to roll,

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Whats more important is using this season as a platform and build on it, if we fail to do that then the serious questions need to be asked and head will have to roll,

That's the real test - being able to sustain some sort of success at this level which, as we're constantly being told, is one of the best/hardest/most watched leagues* in the world. 

*pick your favourite cliche 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Regardless where we finish this season it's be a remarkable turn around, and if we don't get into the play-offs it will be disappointing but not the end of the world,

I agree, but in line with the past 2 seasons lessons need to be heeded and not repeated, during the bad run some did start to creep back in.

We are strong at the back with 2 emerging talents, it's midfield where the work needs to done, we desperately need a leader who can organise the midfield and hopefully can pick a final pass, we too often run out of ideas in and around the opponents box.

We need to improve our delivery from wide and boy oh boy do we ever need somebody who can actually take a free kick ours have been woeful.

Far more thought needs to go into our loans as well, Woodrow, Diony and Kent have been incredibly poor and Kent's signing has given LJ the opportunity to even further stifle Eliasson's progress with us.

30 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree, but in line with the past 2 seasons lessons need to be heeded and not repeated, during the bad run some did start to creep back in.

We are strong at the back with 2 emerging talents, it's midfield where the work needs to done, we desperately need a leader who can organise the midfield and hopefully can pick a final pass, we too often run out of ideas in and around the opponents box.

We need to improve our delivery from wide and boy oh boy do we ever need somebody who can actually take a free kick ours have been woeful.

Far more thought needs to go into our loans as well, Woodrow, Diony and Kent have been incredibly poor and Kent's signing has given LJ the opportunity to even further stifle Eliasson's progress with us.

aren't we one of the best teams in the country from scoring from Set Pieces? we were third in the league on goals from set pieces (16 in total) with the two above us (cardiff and wolves) on 18

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6848/Stages/15177/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018

• Admin
1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

For me a great turn around on 12 months ago, but disappointing considering where we were at Christmas

Let's hope if we don't achieve promotion we don't "do a Reading"

29 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

aren't we one of the best teams in the country from scoring from Set Pieces? we were third in the league on goals from set pieces (16 in total) with the two above us (cardiff and wolves) on 18

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6848/Stages/15177/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018

I think you will find that is corners, I was referring to crossing from open play and I can only recall one goal direct from a free kick, Paterson V Derby at home, unless you can think of another, the last free kick we had around the opponents box was away at Burton and Paterson put it out of the ground.

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

For me a great turn around on 12 months ago, but disappointing considering where we were at Christmas

I think if we don't go up, we may dip to midtable, top 10 something like that next-  but don't forsee a Reading style collapse personally (subject to keeping this group together). Playoff pushing but a bit further back perhaps than 7th.

Don't forsee a Reading type slump though- agreed with your post in general. A massive turnaround and improvement.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's a long season of 46 matches and in our case another 8 in the two cups. Wolves apart every other team have 'hit the wall' and some point during the Championship campaign and it's unrealistic imv to expect  teams to perform well every game. City had a spell of poor results but have picked up in recent games and stil in with a shout of a pray off place.

Personally I'm pretty pleased with the season overall, whether or not we stay in the top six but if we miss out I can't see us 'doing a Reading'. The club is run in a far better fashion than they are and that comes from the very top.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

This is something I can't agree with more, I mean we have some great targets and one who we use more than any and yet we don't seem to have anyone consistent enough to pick those threats out.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It's a long season of 46 matches and in our case another 8 in the two cups. Wolves apart every other team have 'hit the wall' and some point during the Championship campaign and it's unrealistic imv to expect  teams to perform well every game. City had a spell of poor results but have picked up in recent games and stil in with a shout of a pray off place.

Personally I'm pretty pleased with the season overall, whether or not we stay in the top six but if we miss out I can't see us 'doing a Reading'. The club is run in a far better fashion than they are and that comes from the very top.

Hit the wall fair enough, 1 win in 2 months.... little bit worse than hitting the wall.

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

Hit the wall fair enough, 1 win in 2 months.... little bit worse than hitting the wall.

it was 3 wins 5 draws and 3 defeats in 2 months (cup excluded) stemming back to jan 19th at derby but lets not let facts get in the way of sensationalism 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Now now, no need to call for heads just yet, you can't build anything on shifting sand, even if we have to wait a couple of seasons it will be a major achievement to get in the Prem Sacking Johnson will only serve to put us back to square one. We have seen a huge improvement in how we play, and that is down solely to Lee, we need to stick with a plan.   .

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Now now, no need to call for heads just yet, you can't build anything on shifting sand, even if we have to wait a couple of seasons it will be a major achievement to get in the Prem Sacking Johnson will only serve to put us back to square one. We have seen a huge improvement in how we play, and that is down solely to Lee, we need to stick with a plan.   .

I haven't called for anyones head or anyone to be sacked yet

2 hours ago, phantom said:

It was always going to happen, with our squad, and up against the likes of Villa Cardiff Boro, Derby etc, injuries were a huge factor in our decline, make no mistake, however we are still in it, and pressure is off us.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I haven't called for anyones head or anyone to be sacked yet

Yet?

Even if we were not to replicate this seasons early form next season, no need to panic, we need to build still, no good going up under gunned, especially with some fans still not buying into the style of play LJ has brought, in a way I hope we can strengthen a bit more over a couple of seasons, hate to go up and get thumped every week, that would be the trigger for a slide    

• Admin
51 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

It was always going to happen, with our squad, and up against the likes of Villa Cardiff Boro, Derby etc, injuries were a huge factor in our decline, make no mistake, however we are still in it, and pressure is off us.

Why was it "always going to happen"?

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Performances like Burton fall below any acceptable level imo. and it is City's propensity to go from looking a very good Championship side to having periods when they are appear on a par with the worst which is the worry.

I think you can reasonably expect performances to never fall below a certain level; a standard that can be maintained whether the team is generally 'on form' or not. That being said even when you maintain that level of course you'll sometimes come up against teams who are simply better than you and outperform you comfortably on the day.

There shouldn't be 'a wall' though - I don't remember Dicks' comparatively very small squad hitting one - and it should not be put forward as an excuse for a run of poor form.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

it was 3 wins 5 draws and 3 defeats in 2 months (cup excluded) stemming back to jan 19th at derby but lets not let facts get in the way of sensationalism 

One league win throughout the whole of January and February seems like one win in two months to me...

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Performances like Burton fall below any acceptable level imo. and it is City's propensity to go from looking a very good Championship side to having periods when they are appear on a par with the worst which is the worry.

I think you can reasonably expect performances to never fall below a certain level; a standard that can be maintained whether the team is generally 'on form' or not. That being said even when you maintain that level of course you'll sometimes come up against teams who are simply better than you and outperform you comfortably on the day.

There shouldn't be 'a wall' though - I don't remember Dicks' comparatively very small squad hitting one - and it should not be put forward as an excuse for a run of poor form.

Teams like Burton are fighting to stay in the Championship and can't be criticised for lacking in ambition when setting up. Ipswich on the other hand are safe but they lacked any attacking ambition and it took a great cross and decent header to beat them. The only telling bit of play that City created in the entire game.

Against teams who 'park the bus' City lack the creativity in midfield to break them down and that's partly why LJ signed Walsh and another with tricky feet in Ryan Kent. Neither have produced anything much yet but both are young lads and can only improve.

Im sure LJ is astute enough to appreciate that and will be delighted that the experienced GoN is back in the frame.

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Yet?

Even if we were not to replicate this seasons early form next season, no need to panic, we need to build still, no good going up under gunned, especially with some fans still not buying into the style of play LJ has brought, in a way I hope we can strengthen a bit more over a couple of seasons, hate to go up and get thumped every week, that would be the trigger for a slide    

I can't disagree more , sorry.

If we went up who's to say that we'd be ' thumped ' every week ?

Have Huddersfield, Newcastle or Brighton been ' thumped ' every week ? 

I would say that with a few additions we could hold our own . We did beat Prem sides in the cup and made a good fist of it against the Champions elect .

Even if we did come straight back down the parachute payments and the experience our  club gained from being up there would help us develop further. 

I don't see a domesday scenario as the club is on a sound footing and professionally run these days .

Let's do it , I say .

:bruce_h4h:

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I would say that with a few additions we could hold our own . We did beat Prem sides in the cup and made a good fist of it against the Champions elect .

Even if we did come straight back down the parachute payments and the experience our  club gained from being up there would help us develop further. 

I don't see a domesday scenario as the club is on a sound footing and professionally run these days .

Burnley did just that. Got up and came straight back down and then up again. Dyche learning the PL demands first time around and then with that experience and the recognition of what Burnley needed has now established them in the PL.

No reason LJ can't do the same - even if it means coming straight back down.

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I can't disagree more , sorry.

If we went up who's to say that we'd be ' thumped ' every week ?

Have Huddersfield, Newcastle or Brighton been ' thumped ' every week ? 

Let's do it , I say .

:bruce_h4h:

I am a glass half full bloke, but no way can I think we are ready for the top flight, we have the foundations in place, that's all imo , but I do accept that there might be some benefit, or it could go the other way. It's a fine line, look at Hull and Sunderland, if it was to happen great, but I want to be more competitive that the likes of Huddersfield this season, who were the surprise package last season. It's a very tough league despite the gulf in class with the big clubs 

Looking at our cup exploits as a marker doesn't really mean that much, sure it shows we have come some way, but there is so much more we need to add to the club, recruitment being the most obvious, before we are ready. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Teams like Burton are fighting to stay in the Championship and can't be criticised for lacking in ambition when setting up. Ipswich on the other hand are safe but they lacked any attacking ambition and it took a great cross and decent header to beat them. The only telling bit of play that City created in the entire game.

Against teams who 'park the bus' City lack the creativity in midfield to break them down and that's partly why LJ signed Walsh and another with tricky feet in Ryan Kent. Neither have produced anything much yet but both are young lads and can only improve.

Im sure LJ is astute enough to appreciate that and will be delighted that the experienced GoN is back in the frame.

That lack of creativity shows we're not good enough, nothing to do with the team 'hitting a wall.'

Tactically sometimes LJ gets it absolutely spot on, on other occasions he is found severely wanting.

There is no excuse for the abysmal standard of City's performance at Burton. I wasn't criticising Burton for 'lacking ambition' - even though they are out of their depth it seems to me they showed more ambition than us.

I was criticising LJ, and particularly the City team he sent out, for individually and collectively falling far below acceptable standards.

They are well trained professional footballers and their professional pride should ensure a display of such abject proportions never, ever happens.

We are fans but that doesn't mean we should be forever looking for excuses for them.

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That lack of creativity shows we're not good enough, nothing to do with the team 'hitting a wall.'

Tactically sometimes LJ gets it absolutely spot on, on other occasions he is found severely wanting.

There is no excuse for the abysmal standard of City's performance at Burton. I wasn't criticising Burton for 'lacking ambition' - even though they are out of their depth it seems to me they showed more ambition than us.

I was criticising LJ, and particularly the City team he sent out, for individually and collectively falling far below acceptable standards.

They are well trained professional footballers and their professional pride should ensure a display of such abject proportions never, ever happens.

We are fans but that doesn't mean we should be forever looking for excuses for them.

City have frequently had difficulty breaking down defensively set up teams for pretty much as long I can remember and under every manager I can remember. Parking the bus unfortunately works for some and makes for a frustrating watch.

I accept that the Burton game was an under par performance but it  happens in such long a season.Burton do well as they did at AG.

I'm not one for apportioning blame and I put it down to just 'a bad day at the office' 

Archived