IGNORED

Difficult place to come !

slartibartfast

3 hours ago, chipdawg said:

think the cup run has taken it out of us...

What?! The cup run ended months ago and we’ve had an international break since then too....such a lame excuse to say we are suffering because of the exertions of the cup run....it ended on 23 January...it’s April in a couple of days...we’ve won 3 of the last 15 league games...

Just now, The Gasbuster said:

I was referring to their home form, which is dreadful.

Their form overall has been dreadful.

But although we lost a three goal lead to them we weren't beaten 4-1 at home.

Yet we're unhappy about not losing away to Burton and Barnsley.

:dunno:

Two potential things about Barnsley, as mentioned previously as the drop zone looms as you get closer performances tend to increase. The other being Johnson himself, I expect quite a few of those Barnsley players wanted to get one over on him, motivation they would have against other teams bar maybe Leeds.

I know I shouldn't be amazed by some on here but a little perspective needed.

Its no coincidence but factor in the poor weather & Barnsley needed the points, you could argue, more than us.

This will have a factor on the run in just look at Derby's result.

We are just not mentally tough enough to take these games in poor conditions to the opposition.

I think Milwall were the biggest winners and our trip there next Saturday is looking massive as they must fancy themselves.

I think the weather plays a major part in how we play.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

tI actually think LJ's philosophy has changed a little...purely down to the fact that we were getting out fought in areas.

I think it works against less physical sides...hence us playing well against Premier sides this season.

We've been out fought in certain areas. And I honestly believe over a season you can't play to the high tempo we do; have done without it having a negative effect in certain areas.

I think Duric is a fantastic player at this level, and gives us the physicality we need up front ( in this league ).

I'd set up differently depending who we were playing against.

Interesting opinion on Premier League teams, Spud. 

I've always thought a big reason why the best players are playing at the highest level is because they're better athletes, physically stronger, more mobile etc.

Are you stating you don't agree they're better athletes or are you suggesting that because they're stronger, quicker, more mobile etc that they can play better football rather than get bogged down in physical battles?

I also agree on your stance in this thread, the injuries and intensity in the way we have playing have been costly to the squad. While LJ should be questioned with regards to that and the dip in form, I'm sure he'll be doing that himself and learn from this. Certainly no need to panic considering the season we've had, albeit it may end with a tinge of disappointment.

46 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Interesting opinion on Premier League teams, Spud. 

I've always thought a big reason why the best players are playing at the highest level is because they're better athletes, physically stronger, more mobile etc.

Are you stating you don't agree they're better athletes or are you suggesting that because they're stronger, quicker, more mobile etc that they can play better football rather than get bogged down in physical battles?

I also agree on your stance in this thread, the injuries and intensity in the way we have playing have been costly to the squad. While LJ should be questioned with regards to that and the dip in form, I'm sure he'll be doing that himself and learn from this. Certainly no need to panic considering the season we've had, albeit it may end with a tinge of disappointment.

The problem is that the horrendous injury list that has dragged on for many months doesn't do anything to mitigate his position. It should but it doesn't. Football fans are notoriously blind when it comes to accepting their team cannot operate at the highest level when it is decimated by so many first team injuries. For what it's worth I think he's done a remarkable job in compensating for injuries and the suspensions and still keeping us within touching distance of the play-offs.

I don't know what he can learn from this apart from don't have injured players. This season is not like the last where, despite a full squad, he couldn't buy a win. This has been markedly different. There are individual cases such as Paterson who hasn't been on his game for a long time which LJ should have addressed by now but by and large his hands have been tied by that injury list.

However, there appears to be a strange disconnect between the players we have had on loan, Woodrow/Diony/Kent et al who were supposed to see us over the hump of injured players and the reality. I would be inclined to point the finger at our COO rather that LJ in that regard. I have no real idea as to the daily workings of BCFC in respect of player recruitment but I suspect that MA is responsible for identifying players that should/could get us out of a bind and LJ is a secondary port of call. So, if anything we should be scrutinising MA's input rather than LJ's in regards to that. With so little transparency at the club it's hard to know just where the buck stops and I hate that because too often the fans vitriol is aimed at those they can see on a game day not those who may ultimately be responsible.

But the real problem is the fan's perception. If we'd been around the 18th - 14th position all season and then had a glorious cup run followed by moving up to 7th in the Championship now then 99% of fans would have nothing but positives to say. It would be a peach of a season regardless of the final outcome. Now, after being 2nd in the table and slowly sliding down to 7th the cup run is forgotten and we're a bad side who are led by a know-nothing imbecile. Such is football.

I've completely gone OT I think and tomorrow I won't even know. Cider does that to one, you know.

5 hours ago, Swede said:

Its no coincidence but factor in the poor weather & Barnsley needed the points, you could argue, more than us.

We are just not mentally tough enough to take these games in poor conditions to the opposition.

I think Milwall were the biggest winners and our trip there next Saturday is looking massive as they must fancy themselves.

Weather was fine . But if rain latter part of second half . Worst weather was on way back .

9 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Its not so much an excuse as a reason. You see it time and time again that clubs are affected by cup runs like ours. I agree that if it is the factor it appears to be, then Johnson should have rotated the squad a little bit more but being disjointed and the lack of the pressing game could both be down to mental and physical fatigue. I'm also not sure I agree with the "aimless hoofs towards Diedhou" either. Our passing was just shit in general, but I didn't think we particularly favoured the long ball until Djuric game on. Our passing was just crap, not particularly long distance imo 

Ok , You can't use the cup run as a reason. It was three months ago that it came to an end .

That's a quarter of a year , plenty of time to recover.

You didn't see ' hoofball ' sadly I did .

We don't agree this time round .

Let's hope that on Monday we are both purring about a fantastic win over Brentford.

:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Swede said:

Please don't tell me we're now blaming the weather?! :facepalm:

We just weren't at it at all yesterday and LJ needs to work out why and rectify it. Barnsley are at the bottom of the league along with Burton and Sunderland and Birmingham for a reason. Because they're shit.

3 hours ago, Redstreet said:

Weather was fine . But if rain latter part of second half . Worst weather was on way back .

Exactly. Sunny and mild for most of the game, rained a bit as you said but not a torrential downpour. Also we beat Wednesday in the snow recently too. I don’t understand the weather comment either @Swede

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

Exactly. Sunny and mild for most of the game, rained a bit as you said but not a torrential downpour. Also we beat Wednesday in the snow recently too. I don’t understand the weather comment either @Swede

Its the only reasonable excuse I can think of as to why we can't put away so called lesser teams who seem to be more motivated or as another poster put it more succinctly, "5hit teams" 

I think the conditions does play a part.

Our football is pressing, quick passing, one touch. The weather is bound to have an effect on our game.

We have "nice" players who will need to be highly motivated by the time we play at the New Den come Saturday and maybe that's the conundrum LJ is trying to work out.

At least Flint is back and boy have we missed his qualities.

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

We just weren't at it at all yesterday and LJ needs to work out why and rectify it. Barnsley are at the bottom of the league along with Burton and Sunderland and Birmingham for a reason. Because they're shit.

Yep, and Barnsley more than the others down the bottom because according to their own fans, they have been utterly awful for the past month under their new manager and I believe in one newspaper yesterday a fan of theirs forecast we would win 800-0 and they would score lots of own goals. So it's not just league position, it's the view of their own supporters about their specific recent problems, which made Oakwell most certainly NOT a difficult place to go.

As a reminder, we made this team look like Barcelona for the first 20 minutes yesterday.

@BanburyRed

That'd be same Sunderland who won 4-1 at Derby?

No divine right whatsoever.

We are a side having a much improved season. After year one was a struggle, and year 2 was frankly a mixed bag.

We have none at all. We aren't Wolves. This League throws up things like this...Wolves lost at home to Forest FFS, ending a 2 and a month unbeaten run.

On the game itself for all our injury problems we have had, this is, has been exacerbated by our manager and his inability or unwillingness to tailor to the opposition a bit. Our narrow, neither quite wingers or tiki taka midfield of Brownhill, Smith, Pack and Paterson...

Not suitable for a game such as yesterday, away to a side who will be fighting hard and be physical. Stupid, unimaginative setup. Brownhill, Smith and Pack in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 would have helped us match up a bit more physically or numerically, and then gradually the superior technical ability can come to the fore. Much has changed in football, but this still exists...this simple concept called 'earning the right to play.'

Come on Slarti! I hate this rhetoric too but that's part of the modern game, do you think LJ likes to have to speak so much to the media. In our most successful period A.D never had to speak to the media until a Sunday and that was only if he wanted too.

You try filling all these media mins with stuff no-one dislikes! Imagine Derby's coaches not saying 'Sunderland must be taken for granted and could cause us problems' and the reaction that would have brought. It's all Media Mania and we just have to laugh it off

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@BanburyRed

That'd be same Sunderland who won 4-1 at Derby?

No divine right whatsoever.

We are a side having a much improved season. After year one was a struggle, and year 2 was frankly a mixed bag.

We have none at all. We aren't Wolves. This League throws up things like this...Wolves lost at home to Forest FFS, ending a 2 and a month unbeaten run.

On the game itself for all our injury problems we have had, this is, has been exacerbated by our manager and his inability or unwillingness to tailor to the opposition a bit. Our narrow, neither quite wingers or tiki taka of Brownhill, Smith, Pack and Paterson...

Not suitable for a game such as yesterday, away to a side who will be fighting hard and be physical. Stupid, unimaginative setup. Brownhill, Smith and Pack in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 would have helped us match up a bit more physically or numerically, and then gradually the superior technical ability can come to the fore. Much has changed in football, but this still exists...this simple concept called 'earning the right to play.'

Come on.....! Barnsley and Burton haven't won a game since about 1973! And Sunderland are on for back to back relegations.

I fully get the 'right to play' bit, toughest league in Europe etc but really....Barnsley offered nothing yesterday and we couldn't deal/cope with that.

However we're 7th and the season continues...bring on the Bees and the Lions! COYR!  :city:

15 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Why do you like him? Serious question. 

His results since 30 December are not good enough. I'm not that interested in what he says. I'm not interested in whether he's a nice person to meet or not. Our results are much more important and in the last three months, just not good enough. 

PS. I appreciate how he is encouraging the Academy but first team results are paramount. 

I think he’s enthusiastic and cares about the job he’s doing and shows passion and personality, he also comes across well when interviewed. He may not make the right decisions at times and as I’ve said I don’t like his excuses but in general I do like him as our manager. ...:yawn:

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Come on.....! Barnsley and Burton haven't won a game since about 1973! And Sunderland are on for back to back relegations.

I fully get the 'right to play' bit, toughest league in Europe etc but really....Barnsley offered nothing yesterday and we couldn't deal/cope with that.

However we're 7th and the season continues...bring on the Bees and the Lions! COYR!  :city:

Burton I will give you- totally unacceptable that was! No home win by them since September is it, I mean wow to drop points there was just dreadful. Vs Sunderland, the 2nd half implosion equally unacceptable (though they drew 3-3 with Boro and beat Derby 4-1 within the last month and a half).

Barnsley...I'm not saying it's difficult as such, more awkward. Awkward away game, sort of side who will nick a point here and there- their performances are better than their results at home I guess is what I am saying. Burton on the other hand, total different kettle of fish. Their performances and their results are both appalling.  Sunderland at home, well their away record is better than their home record, but a 3 goal lead at home to them at HT to throw that away, well what can I say.

Still well and truly alive indeed!

10 hours ago, Swede said:

not sure how you can say Barnsley needed the points more than us, promotion to the premier league with all the money on offer to the players, what more incentive could they possibly have. 

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Its the only reasonable excuse I can think of as to why we can't put away so called lesser teams who seem to be more motivated or as another poster put it more succinctly, "5hit teams" 

I think the conditions does play a part.

Our football is pressing, quick passing, one touch. The weather is bound to have an effect on our game.

We have "nice" players who will need to be highly motivated by the time we play at the New Den come Saturday and maybe that's the conundrum LJ is trying to work out.

At least Flint is back and boy have we missed his qualities.

I think we should stop looking for excuses.

Support the team during games but along with that the pressure should always be on them to perform.

If their performance level falls far below what is acceptable, as at Burton and again yesterday, there are no excuses, and criticism is absolutely justified.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Come on Slarti! I hate this rhetoric too but that's part of the modern game, do you think LJ likes to have to speak so much to the media. In our most successful period A.D never had to speak to the media until a Sunday and that was only if he wanted too.

You try filling all these media mins with stuff no-one dislikes! Imagine Derby's coaches not saying 'Sunderland must be taken for granted and could cause us problems' and the reaction that would have brought. It's all Media Mania and we just have to laugh it off

I think LJ likes to speak, yes.

I think he likes to have to speak so much to the media when things are going well, and we're on a roll, or the season has yet to start, yes.

I think he not so much likes to have to speak to the media when things are going pear shaped/stagnating. No.

I think you are right about A.D. and the old days, we hear too much from coaches/managers today, yes. Stupid questions and cliched answers.

But LJ: likes to speak? Stupid question!

Archived