IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Londoner

Can't remember a more rapid fall from grace from someone with such talent and ability.

Read that he is now at Aberdeen and failed to score in 19 games this season....

All right he fell out with the club here, but it' sad to see him not come close to fulfilling his potential.

Any other such dramatic falls from grace?

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

He could have achieved big things. Still a mystery whether it was injury, attitude or both that stopped him doing so.

A chap I know knew some of the medical team at the time of Maynards injury & it was a bad one. I know at the time a lot was made of the contract issue, but I’m told City were very happy with the fee they received as they knew he would very unlikely make a full recovery. COYR 

14 hours ago, Londoner said:

Any other such dramatic falls from grace?

Nicky Hunt played over 100 Premiership games and even in Europe at Atletico Madrid and Sporting Lisbon alongside the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff.

Danny Haynes  still only 30 seems to have fallen through the leagues as well as non leagues now turning out for Cray Wanderes after leaving Ebbsfleet.

Virtually unplayable in a televised game against West Brom not so long ago.

Think his attitude may have been his downfall,remember a presaeson friendly when he was out injured and turned up to watch with his entourage wanting to sit in the directors box in the Williams ,for some reason asked to leave and storming out of the ground in a huff

Was just watching some ex videos on Youtube of City and stumbled across a 20 top goals by Maynard video.

Maynard one of the most hated Ex City Strikers, yet one of the best, rather ironic. Injury and attitude ruined his career, but his goals against Palace, Newcastle and QPR showed what a quality player he was. Always sad to see anyone's career go up in smoke and all that, but deep down I expect he wishes he signed that new deal here now, after all we helped him back from a serious injury and he has still scored something like 10 goals in 25 matches when we sold him that year. I don't think we've had a natural all round striker since Maynard. Kodjia scored goals but didn't have his quality, Tammy was your poacher, and Bobby Reid is the same ilk as Tammy, but he doesn't work his own goals or score quality ones. Maynard in his prime was a fine a natural all round striker that we've had in my lifetime at Ashton Gate. 

38 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Was just watching some ex videos on Youtube of City and stumbled across a 20 top goals by Maynard video.

Maynard one of the most hated Ex City Strikers, yet one of the best, rather ironic. Injury and attitude ruined his career, but his goals against Palace, Newcastle and QPR showed what a quality player he was. Always sad to see anyone's career go up in smoke and all that, but deep down I expect he wishes he signed that new deal here now, after all we helped him back from a serious injury and he has still scored something like 10 goals in 25 matches when we sold him that year. I don't think we've had a natural all round striker since Maynard. Kodjia scored goals but didn't have his quality, Tammy was your poacher, and Bobby Reid is the same ilk as Tammy, but he doesn't work his own goals or score quality ones. Maynard in his prime was a fine a natural all round striker that we've had in my lifetime at Ashton Gate. 

In this day and age, after his first year for us Maynard would’ve had a £15m price tag minimum, a natural finisher who created a chance when nothing was on. His injury has ruined him. Not sharp like he used to be and not suited to be a Lee Trundle, Lee Tomlin type player. 

His silly comments about the contract and leaving us means he lost all respect he built during his time here. 

42 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Maynard in his prime was a fine a natural all round striker that we've had in my lifetime at Ashton Gate. 

You're right, he was very complete as a striker, had wonderful balance, a cracking finish and he played in - lets face it - quite an average City team.

But the one thing it's easy to forget, is not simply the decision to leave and the cheap words that accompanied it, but the actual standard of his football on the pitch in the run up to leaving - which was often awful. You won't remember this because we were **** and very little was Youtube worthy. 

Good players are good players regardless but Maynard didn't look interested for about 3-4 months in the end, was casual as you like in front of goal, and that for me undid any superlatives I'd attach to his abilities as a striker, he took the **** out of people who were paying to go to football matches.

Remember the furore at the time that we made the wrong decision as to when to sell, when the reality was he pissed us around and turned down moves.

We actually had all of his best years and then got our money back.

He did ok in his very brief time at West Ham, was hopeless at Cardiff  :laughcont: and it has all gone badly downhill for him since.

LJ got it spot on, injuries killed his career but his lack of grace whilst with us means I have absolutely no sympathy.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Remember the furore at the time that we made the wrong decision as to when to sell, when the reality was he pissed us around and turned down moves.

We actually had all of his best years and then got our money back.

He did ok in his very brief time at West Ham, was hopeless at Cardiff  :laughcont: and it has all gone badly downhill for him since.

LJ got it spot on, injuries killed his career but his lack of grace whilst with us means I have absolutely no sympathy.

He certainly pissed us around but Sextone and Millen didn't help by grovelling to him in trying to get him to sign a new contract. That just inflated his ego even more.

8 hours ago, 123red1 said:

Maynard in his prime was a fine a natural all round striker that we've had in my lifetime at Ashton Gate. 

I liked Maynard before the contract debacle but I always thought Steve Brooker was the most balanced striker I have seen in recent times at AG. If only he could have stayed fit. 

Archived