IGNORED

Observations from Match of the Day

Offside

Apologies if any of this has been covered elsewhere.

Manchester City had 82% possession. Incredible.

A Liverpool player had number 66 on his shirt. Incredible in a different way.

West Ham have had a torrid season, but they showed admirable grit and determination in their game today - hopefully something we can replicate on Monday.

17 minutes ago, Offside said:

West Ham have had a torrid season, but they showed admirable grit and determination in their game today - hopefully something we can replicate on Monday.

Manchester City are an incredible team, yes, we took it too them and were in no way embarrassed in either game, but my God can they play.

35 minutes ago, Offside said:

**** west 'Am...their *****

5 hours ago, Fatalist said:

I heard Alan Shearer say "It's a contact sport, it's not a foul everytime there is contact".

About time we have some commonsense from pundits.

Yet how many times has he said a player was entitled to go down when he felt contact, as all pundits do these days? Still, perhaps they'll all stop spouting that nonsense now.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yet how many times has he said a player was entitled to go down when he felt contact, as all pundits do these days? Still, perhaps they'll all stop spouting that nonsense now.

Perhaps it depends who's committed the foul? Centre half on forward in penalty area - definite foul. Forward on goal keeper - never in a million years!

9 hours ago, Fatalist said:

I heard Alan Shearer say "It's a contact sport, it's not a foul everytime there is contact".

Alan Shearer has been as bad as the rest of the pundits over the years in excusing cheating with the line that he was "entitled to go down" (one of my most hated phrases). And he didn't have any bother going to ground easily when he was playing. But to be fair, I have noticed this season a much improved propensity from him to call a player out for cheating. 

No doubt that Man Citeh, as the PL table shows are far superior to everyone else and that's down to two main factors 1) Money 2) Pep Gaurdiola 

Obviously a club needs plenty of cash to afford Pep in the first place but then even more cash to sign the players he wants and I wouldn't be surprised him signing Messi for next season................:facepalm:. It's not as if he needs him....

He's a truly top manager and possibly the best in the world. He's achieved success wherever he's been, granted with top players but they all want to play for him such is his standing in the game. 

No great surprise that LJ is one of his disciples.  

1 hour ago, redsfan said:

Alan Shearer has been as bad as the rest of the pundits over the years in excusing cheating with the line that he was "entitled to go down" (one of my most hated phrases). And he didn't have any bother going to ground easily when he was playing. But to be fair, I have noticed this season a much improved propensity from him to call a player out for cheating. 

Beat me to it...ta

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

No doubt that Man Citeh, as the PL table shows are far superior to everyone else and that's down to two main factors 1) Money 2) Pep Gaurdiola 

Obviously a club needs plenty of cash to afford Pep in the first place but then even more cash to sign the players he wants and I wouldn't be surprised him signing Messi for next season................:facepalm:. It's not as if he needs him....

He's a truly top manager and possibly the best in the world. He's achieved success wherever he's been, granted with top players but they all want to play for him such is his standing in the game. 

No great surprise that LJ is one of his disciples.  

Disciple! Bristol City are hardly attempting to play like Manchester City.

On 31/03/2018 at 23:55, Fatalist said:

But last night when an attacker was clattered, but the defenders toe also touched the ball, it was “never a penalty”.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Observations from MOTD2. The "overrated" Dele Ali deserves to take a bow for a simply stunning goal.

Immaculate first touch followed by an instant finish. So hard to take the ball down like that when it comes over your shoulder. Great stuff.

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Disciple! Bristol City are hardly attempting to play like Manchester City.

I think LJ would love to play like Man Citeh do but obviously doesn't have the top quality players required at his disposal. 

That said, I can see definite similarities in the style LJ is trying to develop at City "our identity" he calls it. 

Mention Man Citeh to any football fan and they  immediately think of the impressive style they adopt - Citeh's ' identity ' in other words.

In my view LJ is trying to encourage/coach/train his squad into that style but given the fairly ordinary players he has it's a tough ask especially as none of them have played that style before. It's very unfamiliar to them so it'll take longer for them to become accustomed to it. That's why City's performances vary so much especially away from AG and exactly why LJ gets pissy when they don't perform in the way he wants.

Its also why I think City will be far more consistent next season.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think LJ would love to play like Man Citeh do but obviously doesn't have the top quality players required at his disposal. 

That said, I can see definite similarities in the style LJ is trying to develop at City "our identity" he calls it. 

Mention Man Citeh to any football fan and they  immediately think of the impressive style they adopt - Citeh's ' identity ' in other words.

In my view LJ is trying to encourage/coach/train his squad into that style but given the fairly ordinary players he has it's a tough ask especially as none of them have played that style before. It's very unfamiliar to them so it'll take longer for them to become accustomed to it. That's why City's performances vary so much especially away from AG and exactly why LJ gets pissy when they don't perform in the way he wants.

Its also why I think City will be far more consistent next season.

Starting at the back I see little similarity between the way Frank Fielding distributes the ball and Ederson or Bravo. If Bristol City were in any way attempting to adopt a similar style it has to start from building from the first third.  Frank Fielding passing accuracy can go beneath 30% Ederson Saturday was 100%. That disparity in ability means Bristol City cannot be attempting to adopt similar philosophy. Bristol Citys patterns of play e.g. goal kicks are opposites. It is also a disparity in intent and philosophy at Man City losing that amount of possession is unacceptable - Harts inaccuracy and abilty was unacceptable.

The reason Bristol Citys performances vary so much is tactical. Bristol City at for instance Cardiff played a entirely differing shape to the following Saturday and had a entirely differing approach to  retention of the football. Bristol City adopt pomo and verticality - Man City do not. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Starting at the back I see little similarity between the way Frank Fielding distributes the ball and Ederson or Bravo. If Bristol City were in any way attempting to adopt a similar style it has to start from building from the first third.  Frank Fielding passing accuracy can go beneath 30% Ederson Saturday was 100%. That disparity in ability means Bristol City cannot be attempting to adopt similar philosophy. Bristol Citys patterns of play e.g. goal kicks are opposites. It is also a disparity in intent and philosophy at Man City losing that amount of possession is unacceptable - Harts inaccuracy and abilty was unacceptable.

The reason Bristol Citys performances vary so much is tactical. Bristol City at for instance Cardiff played a entirely differing shape to the following Saturday and had a entirely differing approach to  retention of the football. Bristol City adopt pomo and verticality - Man City do not. 

Read what I said Cowshed again.

LJ doesn't have the players of the required quality FF included but the way Citeh play is a very effect style and I have absolutely no problem with LJ trying to adopt a similar style despite the limitations of his squad.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

eRead what I said Cowshed again.

LJ doesn't have the players of the required quality FF included but the way Citeh play is a very effect style and I have absolutely no problem with LJ trying to adopt a similar style despite the limitations of his squad.

I have read what you posted. 

Man City build from a base of possession from the Keeper forward. Bristol City do not. It is that simple. The primary stage of Pep Guardiolas football from Barcelona to Bayern to Man City is the Keeper. The Keeper influences that style defensively and offensively.

Lee Johnson is not trying to adopt a similar style, or use tactics that parallel Man City. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

I have read what you posted. 

Man City build from a base of possession from the Keeper forward. Bristol City do not. It is that simple. The primary stage of Pep Guardiolas football from Barcelona to Bayern to Man City is the Keeper. The Keeper influences that style defensively and offensively.

Lee Johnson is not trying to adopt a similar style, or use tactics that parallel Man City. 

I know how the Citeh style works Cowshed and don't be surprised if we see another keeper this summer. 

As for not trying to adopt a similar style, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just now, Robbored said:

I know how the Citeh style works Cowshed and don't be surprised if we see another keeper this summer. 

As for not trying to adopt a similar style, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Would you like to highlight how Bristol City use a similar style?

Start with the Keeper and work outwards. .

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Would you like to highlight how Bristol City use a similar style?

Start with the Keeper and work outwards. .

City are not there yet. It'll take time to educate average footballers, all unfamiliar with the style to adapt to it.

We've seen glimpses as against Flum at AG but LJ and and his coaches have a long way to go. 

It'll never be as effective with lower quality players of course but at least trying to develop it is a positive sign.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:27, Robbored said:

City are not there yet. It'll take time to educate average footballers, all unfamiliar with the style to adapt to it.

We've seen glimpses as against Fulham at AG but LJ and and his coaches have a long way to go. 

It'll never be as effective with lower quality players of course but at least trying to develop it is a positive sign.

You did not disappoint. That is not an answer to the question. Would you like to highlight how Bristol City use a similar style to Man City?

The answer is they do not.

Look at the base of Bristol City in Fielding, Pisano, Flint, Wright ... How they use the ball is nothing ;like Man City building from the back. BCFC are not at the primary stage. There is no platform of possession. 

Brentford shared more similarity to Man City.  At ease in possession. A lot of crosses though ...

The idea of Bristol City being a fluent passing team is becoming myth like.  

Archived