IGNORED

Sheffield Utd v Cardiff (19:45) - Snow

Davefevs

If it is called off then Cardiff will have two fixtures to rearrange between now and May 6th. Derby and Sheff U will have one each, all of which could indirectly help City.

I've now checked the SUFC site. Their u23 game v Colchester is off due to snow, not the first team.

Fixture pile up never good but it would take a blunderbus failure of epic proportions for Cardiff not to be promoted from here. Here is a thought as well;

What would you prefer a Fulham team likely to play 6th place, possibly us, or a wounded child in Cardiff? There is an argument for the latter of course because Fulham will have the momentum and might be unstoppable or, on the other hand, they could run out of puff. Either way I think City should really try and finish 5th not 6th. Oh look, it does not matter really does it.

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Fixture pile up never good but it would take a blunderbus failure of epic proportions for Cardiff not to be promoted from here. Here is a thought as well;

What would you prefer a Fulham team likely to play 6th place, possibly us, or a wounded child in Cardiff? There is an argument for the latter of course because Fulham will have the momentum and might be unstoppable or, on the other hand, they could run out of puff. Either way I think City should really try and finish 5th not 6th. Oh look, it does not matter really does it.

For what it’s worth I’d probably rather play Cardiff than Fulham in that scenario - psychologically it would be tough for them to recover from not finishing in the autos, given their current position. But then again, it’s Warnock, and that doesn’t normally end  well for us.

One thing’s for sure, I’d bite your hand off for 6th and take our chances!

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For what it’s worth I’d probably rather play Cardiff than Fulham in that scenario - psychologically it would be tough for them to recover from not finishing in the autos, given their current position. But then again, it’s Warnock, and that doesn’t normally end  well for us.

One thing’s for sure, I’d bite your hand off for 6th and take our chances!

Strangely, Fulham have never won a play off fixture. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

We just go for the pain of losing finals instead! 

The first one was the hardest to bear. May 25th. 1988, a packed Ashton Gate saw Walsall win 3-1, but three days later, City won the return two nil! In the dying moments a shot for a winning third goal passed inches wide of the Walsall post. A penalty shoot out was now held to determine the venue for a third deciding game. Once again City proved inept with spot kicks and had to return to Walsall on May 30th. In a one sided encounter, Walsall, in their centenary season won 4-0 and with it promotion to division two.

Karma though. Walsall lasted just one season in Div 2 and had two consecutive relegations. As they dropped into the 4th Div in 1990, City were promoted to Div 2.

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

We have a great away record v Fulham. We play better against teams who play expansive open football. Would fancy us. Where as Villa is the one we want to avoid. 

Perhaps we should do as in Speedway. The team finishing highest gets to choose which of the other three play off teams they wish to meet in the semi finals and they also choose H or A first leg.

41 minutes ago, 22A said:

If it is called off then Cardiff will have two fixtures to rearrange between now and May 6th. Derby and Sheff U will have one each, all of which could indirectly help City.

I've now checked the SUFC site. Their u23 game v Colchester is off due to snow, not the first team.

Sheff Utd may not mind this game being called off as they will be without Blackman in goal, plus Colin's team are on a winning streak. Normally I would like nothing more than to see the Welsh lose, but against my better instincts, a win for them would actually do us a much bigger favour. Plus if Preston & Derby can play out a goalless draw with both Maguire & Vydra sent off for violent conduct with subsequent 3 match bans, that would be just about perfect. I can dream...,

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

The first one was the hardest to bear. May 25th. 1988, a packed Ashton Gate saw Walsall win 3-1, but three days later, City won the return two nil! In the dying moments a shot for a winning third goal passed inches wide of the Walsall post. A penalty shoot out was now held to determine the venue for a third deciding game. Once again City proved inept with spot kicks and had to return to Walsall on May 30th. In a one sided encounter, Walsall, in their centenary season won 4-0 and with it promotion to division two.

Karma though. Walsall lasted just one season in Div 2 and had two consecutive relegations. As they dropped into the 4th Div in 1990, City were promoted to Div 2.

I know. I was there for both games at Walsall in their end (the only way a few of us living in Brum at the time could get tickets). Harder to hide the pain of losing the second game than the joy of winning the first!

As for Brighton? The most painful game of abject non-football I have ever had the misfortune to suffer!

After those 2, I wasn't so upset that I couldn't get to Wembley against Hull. I had a feeling I knew the script already...

6 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I know. I was there for both games at Walsall in their end (the only way a few of us living in Brum at the time could get tickets). Harder to hide the pain of losing the second game than the joy of winning the first!

As for Brighton? The most painful game of abject non-football I have ever had the misfortune to suffer!

After those 2, I wasn't so upset that I couldn't get to Wembley against Hull. I had a feeling I knew the script already...

I well remember being part of the tumultuous scenes in the enclosure when Colin Gordon scored a late goal to put us in the play offs.

Having seen City disappoint in every play off, then and since, albeit after great semi final victories on occasions, any appetite for seeing City in the play offs dissipated afaic. long ago.

Archived