IGNORED

Booing our players (Merged)

BristolIsRed

On 03/04/2018 at 15:40, Anglo-Welsh said:

Just to play devil's advocate, if you messed up badly for a number of weeks at work, you would undoubtedly be pulled in to a meeting and given a firm dressing down.

The City players are on salaries we can only dream of, purely to kick a ball around. They get that money regardless of performance. So why shouldn't the wage payers i.e. the fans, be entitled to voice their opinions.

Yesterday was absolutely dreadful and the players needed to be made aware.

Unfortunately if you add up the ticket sales  from the match on Monday, take off stewarding, policing, staff at the concessions and the other general match day staff that the fans need, I’d be surprised if you had enough to pay one players weekly wage let alone the 20 odd first teamers we have. Football without fans in the stadium isn’t nothing these days. All money is generated through TV deals and sponsors and that’s what pays the wages. 

Agree that as we have spent a considerable amount of money paying to watch that we can voice our opinions on the matter. Comedians get heckled if they aren’t funny, I’ve seen a performance at the hippodrome get booed because numerous actors forgot their lines. What me witnessed on Monday was not worth the amount for the ticket and that is ultimately down to the players

4 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Unfortunately if you add up the ticket sales  from the match on Monday, take off stewarding, policing, staff at the concessions and the other general match day staff that the fans need, I’d be surprised if you had enough to pay one players weekly wage let alone the 20 odd first teamers we have. Football without fans in the stadium isn’t nothing these days. All money is generated through TV deals and sponsors and that’s what pays the wages. 

Agree that as we have spent a considerable amount of money paying to watch that we can voice our opinions on the matter. Comedians get heckled if they aren’t funny, I’ve seen a performance at the hippodrome get booed because numerous actors forgot their lines. What me witnessed on Monday was not worth the amount for the ticket and that is ultimately down to the players

Whilst that is all correct, would you watch a 'behind the doors' match on tv? 

The crowd, the fans, it is all a large part of the theatre. I think it's too simplistic to think non-ticketing pays the bills, it's fans who pay: fans who are in attendance, who are bombarded with the valuable advertising and notice when a goal goes in how very quickly it pans to the crowd - we are even a part of the sky product. If thats in doubt noticd how in sky's adverts for big games the crowds generally get equal time to 'build up action shots'. 

If you cant show the emotion football generates, it's a non-product I think. 

On 03/04/2018 at 04:11, sglosbcfc said:

Bailey Wright has run through brick walls for this club this season, he has played out of position at full back and left Centre back and has never given any less than 100%.  He has never used international duty or the like as an excuse for a jaded display. He leaves everything out on the park. I don't think there were large numbers giving him stick and I'm sure many of them were simply frustrated at how the team as a whole were playing. Next home game I'd like to see the City support really show him what we think him of him with a rousing reception when his name is called out.

I sincerely hope he is dropped; when the prize on offer is so vast there can be no sentiment in football for any player.

I do not buy what LJ has publicly said for a second; can you imagine Warnock or Ferguson giving their players a hug when they play as abysmally as that lot did on Saturday and Monday and regularly since Jan 1? Of course not and it is remarkably disingenuous for him to say such things to the fans. 

Only when the players show they want to win do they deserve unreserved support. Until then they will be on the receiving end of more boos and rightly so.

Fans should not roll over and be a part of a managers agenda just to 'help' him get his dressing room back. Man up Johnson, its your job and you are richly rewarded for it.

I doubt that;

• Any of you would easily be able to cope mentally with hundreds/thousands people booing you while you do your job;
  • You'd be motivated to go back and do it again.

It's a lose-lose situation and anybody that thinks they have a divine right to boo other human being is a bit of a ********, to be honest.

2 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I doubt that;

• Any of you would easily be able to cope mentally with hundreds/thousands people booing you while you do your job;
  • You'd be motivated to go back and do it again.

It's a lose-lose situation and anybody that thinks they have a divine right to boo other human being is a bit of a ********, to be honest.

Footballers aren’t human though, they earn loads of money :facepalm:

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I sincerely hope he is dropped; when the prize on offer is so vast there can be no sentiment in football for any player.

I do not buy what LJ has publicly said for a second; can you imagine Warnock or Ferguson giving their players a hug when they play as abysmally as that lot did on Saturday and Monday and regularly since Jan 1? Of course not and it is remarkably disingenuous for him to say such things to the fans. 

Only when the players show they want to win do they deserve unreserved support. Until then they will be on the receiving end of more boos and rightly so.

Fans should not roll over and be a part of a managers agenda just to 'help' him get his dressing room back. Man up Johnson, its your job and you are richly rewarded for it.

I have no objection to Johnson's hugging/love in approach to poor player performances. My objection is that his approach simply isn't working.  He needs a plan B, as he does on tactics too. His management style is far too one dimensional 

Are we to assume from his words that LJ never loses his rag with the players, never criticises them or has strong words with them both individually and collectively?

Highly doubt that's actually the case, and that like all managers he does let fly occasionally.

If not, perhaps he should temper his words of love, sympathy, and support with a few fiery home truths about the basic expectations involved with being a very well remunerated professional footballer, and leave them in no doubt that performance we've seen recently are inexcusable and unacceptable.

On 02/04/2018 at 21:03, kiwicolin said:

No. You should never boo any city player , no matter what happens on the pitch.  Disgraceful what some fans did to Wright and Kent. 

If they don't put in effort, and full commitment, they are fair game and deserve both barrells. If they are not good enough or struggling for form, booing your own players is thick, as thick as it gets, the equivalent of cheering and boosting the opposition. Self-harming.

The trouble is identifying the former - not trying - from the latter. Bailey Wright is committed, I'm not so sure about Kent.

Archived