IGNORED

Booing our players (Merged)

BristolIsRed

27 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Soft as ****!!! 

LJ.........

“This team needs to be loved. It needs to be loved by the fans. It needs to be loved by each other and me and the staff”.

“Gone are the days when you can set off hand grenades and get everybody going and they want to prove you wrong. This team aren’t that. This team will go under. As far as they need that love

“We need six games everybody – fans included – to give us a right chance,” he said.

Any opposition manager worth their salt will have heard that and be sticking it on the dressing room walls.

Bailey Wright has run through brick walls for this club this season, he has played out of position at full back and left Centre back and has never given any less than 100%.  He has never used international duty or the like as an excuse for a jaded display. He leaves everything out on the park. I don't think there were large numbers giving him stick and I'm sure many of them were simply frustrated at how the team as a whole were playing. Next home game I'd like to see the City support really show him what we think him of him with a rousing reception when his name is called out.

3 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

They are not City players from the academy who need to be protected - they came for the money or to further their career, they owe us a performance especially at the moment, they were shocking and should be ashamed - this is our way of showing it. I refuse to clap a player off who has given the ball away so often when not even under pressure.

Boo at half time or boo at the end. Or, if you don’t like what you see, you can leave. But jeering your own players is utter stupidity. 

4 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Club treats fans like customers, complains when customers voice disapproval on the quality of their purchase.

You can't have it both ways city, make your ******* mind up.

LJ said in the post match interviews he doesn't mind booing at full time, however due to his experiences as a player and being on the receiving end before he doesn't agree with jeering and cheering subs off 

10 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Sglosbcfc , who would you drop to accommodate bw ? If Bryan /Kelly /mags / flint / baker / Pisano are all available? 

I think you have answered the question yourself there in saying 'if all are available'. Football is very much a squad game and this season Bryan has been suspended and required in midfield, Mags has been injured, Flint was unavailable when it looked like he was leaving, Baker has been both injured and suspended and Pisano has been injured. 

Bailey Wright is an important member of the squad who can fill in across the back four. You might argue Bryan-Baker-Flint-Pisano is the first choice back four but more often than not Wright would be required. If you look at his season as a whole he has been very good for us and even yesterday playing out of position he was left horribly exposed by 7-8 massively underperforming players in front of him.

50 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think you have answered the question yourself there in saying 'if all are available'. Football is very much a squad game and this season Bryan has been suspended and required in midfield, Mags has been injured, Flint was unavailable when it looked like he was leaving, Baker has been both injured and suspended and Pisano has been injured. 

Bailey Wright is an important member of the squad who can fill in across the back four. You might argue Bryan-Baker-Flint-Pisano is the first choice back four but more often than not Wright would be required. If you look at his season as a whole he has been very good for us and even yesterday playing out of position he was left horribly exposed by 7-8 massively underperforming players in front of him.

BW is a good squad player for us but with others available yesterday he should have been on the bench and there was no need to play him out of position.  Playing Kent and LW in midfield was a terrible decision but at least there was an explanation and some kind of crazy logic. BW over Baker for left CB?  Come on LJ you are losing the plot.  By making a good squad player captain it makes any decision to drop him that bit harder especially for someone like LJ who does come across like he doesn’t want to loose face at times.

12 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Soft as ****!!! 

LJ.........

“This team needs to be loved. It needs to be loved by the fans. It needs to be loved by each other and me and the staff”.

“Gone are the days when you can set off hand grenades and get everybody going and they want to prove you wrong. This team aren’t that. This team will go under. As far as they need that love

“We need six games everybody – fans included – to give us a right chance,” he said.

This quote from LJ really annoyed me.  I don’t see the likes of Pisano, Baker, Flint, BW as players that need to be loved.  If the majority of the team react negatively to fans criticism and don’t like being told directly that they were awful then we really haven’t got the balance right in this team and perhaps a sport like football where you face crowds of supporters home and away each week isn’t the career they should be in.  Are the days really gone when you can’t shout at players at half time for their ineptness as LJ would have us believe?  I’m amazed Neil Warnock has been able to embrace this sensitive new world which we now live in but I guess he must have with Cardiff flying high :) 

15 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

They are not City players from the academy who need to be protected - they came for the money or to further their career, they owe us a performance especially at the moment, they were shocking and should be ashamed - this is our way of showing it. I refuse to clap a player off who has given the ball away so often when not even under pressure.

Dullmoan,

The only thing that's shocking here, are the window lickers that boo our lads. A total disgrace and embarrassment. Get a grip man!

There is no player that intentionally goes out to have a bad game. It's football, it happens and to be on the receiving end of boos just makes their heads drop even more. Yes it's frustrating, yes it's hard watching some of the lads that appear to have lost their spark and mojo and yes it would great to see more entertaining football. If you feel the need to not clap players off then fine, that's your call mate.  

Bristol City fans at their absolute worst yesterday.

Cheering when a player comes off is disgusting. I’ve not seen it happen to many players. Lee Johnson was one of them, and another was Liam Fontaine, we all know how Fontaine completely lost his confidence whilst having the captains armband. 

I said before the game yesterday that Bailey Wright as a left centre back was an absolutely shocking call. He’s never looked very good there, and I don’t think we’ll see him play there again now this season. 

14 hours ago, Spoons said:

Bailey Wright was awful today.. but to boo and cheer your captain off is wrong and along with everything else today at Ashton gate' embarrassing.

He's not our captain, he's LJ's choice and imo. a very poor one.

His dire recent form meant he shouldn't have been picked at all yesterday and the booing, it seems to me, was as much sending a message to LJ as it was venting at BW individually.

The captain should be the voice of the manager on the pitch, ensuring the team carry out the managers' tactics and instructions, and leading by example to make sure communal desire and team effort never fades.

BW is, and does, none of those things and I've been convinced since early on that BW was a very strange choice as captain.

If he isn't worth his place in the team as a player, he certainly should not retain it just because he's nominally 'the captain'.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I ‘bin’ iconed you.  I don’t think any player deserves to be boo’d / jeered off.  My opinion.  You can happily bin-icon my response too.  Neither of them failed to put in effort.

Kent did have a shocker.  Fancy a manager putting him back on at half-time and then giving the fans, who were already on his back, an opportunity to completely shatter his confidence.  Poor man-management.  I did like that Flint took it on himself to wander over at the start of the second-half and give him a big hug of encouragement.

Wright was awful on the ball, but he did okay defensively.  As a complete novice, if I was managing Brentford, I’d say, let Wright have it.  As soon as he gets it, Press him onto his left foot.  He’s effin awful on his left side.  Why does LJ think he can play there? It’s so obvious.  If I can see it, what are the analysts seeing. @Cowshed do you have stats of his passing off his left foot?  If you do, if you ignore the sideways pass to Flint, how bad is his left foot passing?

I will have a go later. It is not particularly bad in comparison to others with both feet with a cursory glance. It is easily possible to identify weakness. Keepers in particular have very lopsided passing maps.

Wright inaccurate passes yesterday.

image.png.f1fcc244b6aaab03168ee3ec965d25f1.png

51 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

His dire recent form meant he shouldn't have been picked at all yesterday and the booing, it seems to me, was as much sending a message to LJ as it was venting at BW individually.

The captain should be the voice of the manager on the pitch, ensuring the team carry out the managers' tactics and instructions, and leading by example to make sure communal desire and team effort never fades.

BW is, and does, none of those things and I've been convinced since early on that BW was a very strange choice as captain.

If he isn't worth his place in the team as a player, he certainly should not retain it just because he's nominally 'the captain'.

Bailey Wright is only captain by default because Flint doesn't want it. Considering Flint and Baker is arguably on paper best central defensive partnership in the league  it's a no brainier to play them at Millwall

14 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Soft as ****!!! 

LJ.........

If this can be attributed to our manager , and i have no reason to doubt that it can, then the expression containing 'straws' and 'clutching' springs to mind i'm afraid ! Especially when you consider that his father is infamous for his use of the old pyrotechnics .....apparently he's chucked more grenades into dressing rooms than the paras and marines combined ! Perhaps Lee is looking round the dressing room and thinking ' ....these poor little mites wouldn't be able to cope with my old man ' ?!?!  If i were a member of this squad i'd be looking around the training ground and wondering just exactly 'who' he's referring to....and distancing myself asap !

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He's our captain because LJ has chosen him as captain. Your job is to get behind him. 

Just to play devil's advocate, if you messed up badly for a number of weeks at work, you would undoubtedly be pulled in to a meeting and given a firm dressing down.

The City players are on salaries we can only dream of, purely to kick a ball around. They get that money regardless of performance. So why shouldn't the wage payers i.e. the fans, be entitled to voice their opinions.

Yesterday was absolutely dreadful and the players needed to be made aware.

17 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Boo at half time or boo at the end. Or, if you don’t like what you see, you can leave. But jeering your own players is utter stupidity. 

Not if you sit in The Dolman, apparently...

6 hours ago, General Zod said:

BW is a good squad player for us but with others available yesterday he should have been on the bench and there was no need to play him out of position.  Playing Kent and LW in midfield was a terrible decision but at least there was an explanation and some kind of crazy logic. BW over Baker for left CB?  Come on LJ you are losing the plot.  By making a good squad player captain it makes any decision to drop him that bit harder especially for someone like LJ who does come across like he doesn’t want to loose face at times.

Precisely this-if Eros,Baker & Flint are all fit then Wright doesn't get in the team...

"Club Captain" philosophy is garbage.

Pick your Captain from your starting eleven...if you don't want to do this then FF sake pick your best player/leader as Captain!!!......

45 minutes ago, Spoons said:

He's our captain because LJ has chosen him as captain. Your job is to get behind him. 

I get behind all the players during matches.

OTIB is for debating all things BCFC and my view is Wright was an awful choice as Captain and should not have been picked yesterday.

I once booed our players after loosing 5-0 at Bradford but after the match learnt that they had a nightmare journey to get to the match and only arrived in time so from then on I have never booed as I don't  have the full story like being injured or ill, we just don't know so don't boo until you know the full facts. 

I've always wanted one of the 'never boo your own player' types to explain the science or logic behind the statement? Long time since I attended lectures but from Rogers' Facilitation Theory it was thought the case that showing disregard for an individual's feelings and experience degraded their performance, whilst empathy and support improved it. The caveat being studies were invariably conducted on those who wanted to learn, improve or benefit from the facilitation ( which i think excludes many of our present squad.) As we all know these same types have no issue in booing or heckling the opposition which, perversely, serves only to improve its performance ( nb 'Professor' David Kelly,) who interpret such 'lack of empathy' as an empowering and inspirational motivator. So why do it?

The convention of only showing ones displeasure at the end of a performance is relatively modern and theatrical in origin. I've always thought if it good enough for La Scala it's good enough for The Gate, but then I was raised on Crackers Corner where cries of "Bl**dy Rubbish City," were a regular feature.

58 minutes ago, Super said:

Completely understand where he’s coming from. Booing at full time is one thing, and something no players will take umbrage at after a poor performance. 

Celebrating your own player being removed from play is a shitty thing to do, in any circumstances, but even more so considering that we are overachieving, on the whole, and especially when you consider that very few players have put more of a shift in this season than BW. 

59 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Completely understand where he’s coming from. Booing at full time is one thing, and something no players will take umbrage at after a poor performance. 

Celebrating your own player being removed from play is a shitty thing to do, in any circumstances, but even more so considering that we are overachieving, on the whole, and especially when you consider that very few players have put more of a shift in this season than BW. 

Thought LJs interview and comments on thee were spot on

All of it including the realisation that those boos were a demonstration of the frustration and reaction to the whole performance (Not that it makes it much better)

LJ should realise that some of the boos, or ironic cheers at BW's substitution were actually aimed at him.

After recent personal performances BW surely shouldn't have started - most fans were surprised he did, and some of those fans were ironically cheering LJ's belated acceptance he'd made a basic error in selecting him.

Pity BW had to through a few moments of indignity but LJ must take his own share of the blame because he shouldn't have been out there to be humiliatingly hauled off in the first place.

LJ's decision to start him and his decision to sub. his chosen captain at a time when it should have been obvious he was likely to take the brunt of the fans' frustration.

Archived