IGNORED

Back to just Bobby up front.

Top Robin

When we were playing really well a few months ago,  Diedhiou was injured and we just had Bobby up front backed up by a midfielder so really we had an extra midfielder on the pitch. It seemed to bring the best out of Bobby and that shape seemed to work for us. Do you think Lee would risk dropping Diedhiou and going back to that as all other options seem to be failing. Got to be worth a try as it worked before.

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

When we were playing really well a few months ago,  Diedhiou was injured and we just had Bobby up front backed up by a midfielder so really we had an extra midfielder on the pitch. It seemed to bring the best out of Bobby and that shape seemed to work for us. Do you think Lee would risk dropping Diedhiou and going back to that as all other options seem to be failing. Got to be worth a try as it worked before.

Paterson has to play at 10. That's when we played our best football. 

Who he leaves out is the  million dollar question. 

i agree 100% that Pato has to play behind a striker next game, I’d probably have Reid in there.

The most worrying things for me about today were:

1) Bryan’s performance. I’m a big fan of him as a left back but today he didn’t even look like he wanted to make a forward run. But at the same time wasn’t supporting wright when he had the ball. Just spent most of his time on the half way line when we had possession.

2) Fieldings kicking - I normally think people are abit OTT with the criticism but today really made me think we can’t play the way we try to play out the back and be successful with him there.

3) LJ’s inability to adapt. I’m a big fan of his and he clearly has good plan A but he doesn’t seem to have a plan B other than lump it up to Djuric. He needs to have at least 3 ways of playing, excluding last minute hoof ball tactics which I’m sure he has the football intelligence to come up with. It may mean making tough decisions such as taking a forward off. He only ever seems to add forward players when sometimes I think it would benefit the team to take one step back and put an extra midfielder on, even just for 15 minutes, to get a foothold in the game and then start to take a more attacking mindset.

1 minute ago, joeyb said:

i agree 100% that Pato has to play behind a striker next game, I’d probably have Reid in there.

The most worrying things for me about today were:

1) Bryan’s performance. I’m a big fan of him as a left back but today he didn’t even look like he wanted to make a forward run. But at the same time wasn’t supporting wright when he had the ball. Just spent most of his time on the half way line when we had possession.

2) Fieldings kicking - I normally think people are abit OTT with the criticism but today really made me think we can’t play the way we try to play out the back and be successful with him there.

3) LJ’s inability to adapt. I’m a big fan of his and he clearly has good plan A but he doesn’t seem to have a plan B other than lump it up to Djuric. He needs to have at least 3 ways of playing, excluding last minute hoof ball tactics which I’m sure he has the football intelligence to come up with. It may mean making tough decisions such as taking a forward off. He only ever seems to add forward players when sometimes I think it would benefit the team to take one step back and put an extra midfielder on, even just for 15 minutes, to get a foothold in the game and then start to take a more attacking mindset.

He tucks in to tight to the LCB imo, leaving to much room for their winger, he doesnt do it as much with baker back there but must feel he has to offer more cover if its maggs/wright, but he always then seems just to tight to then easily play it to him.

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I had the same conversation before the game with Bizz.  We don’t need a big un !!

we could go back to the formation without Diedhou but it will only work on two conditions;

1) other teams still havent worked out how to combat that winning foirmula and  2) all midfielders play as well as they did pre-New Year and this is a huge IF when you look at how Patto's confidence has gone to make him the lightweight in our team over the past few weeks (albeit Kent and Walsh took that title today

A big ask to drop the £5m man who scored a cracker at Barnsley when no-one else look capable of scoring (not sure Brownhill's equaliser was that well planned!)

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Paterson has to play at 10. That's when we played our best football. 

Who he leaves out is the  million dollar question. 

Totally agree about Paterson. He has to play in behind Reid or not at all. 

I’ve been saying it for several weeks now, Diedhiou must make way. I like the guy but think he’d have more of an impact off the bench (especially if LJ made changes earlier). 

For me, our XI (plan A, 4-4-1-1) picks itself: Fiedling; Pisano, Baker, Flint, Kelly; Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Bryan; Paterson; Reid. 

Plan B (3-5-2, wingbacks): Fielding; Baker, Flint, Kelly; Pisano, Smith, Brownhill, Pack, Bryan; Diedhiou/Djuric, Reid.

Plan C (4-3-3, reliant on O’Dowda being fit again): Fielding; Pisano, Baker, Flint, Kelly/Bryan; Pack, Smith, Paterson; Brownhill, Reid, O’Dowda. 

11 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Diedhiou I'm afraid but we need to get back to our previous form

6 or 7  of the current players could pass a ball 5 yards and kick a ball straight back then,  removing Diedhiou is not the answer, him and brownhill  actually did one or 2 things ok today, on todays performance if a front player needs to go its reid, imho its midfield were the bigger issues are, smith out for me, been awful for weeks, pak and browney in the middle, stop playing pato on left he does nothing there, Kelly left back, bryan left midfield, give elliason a run out cant do any worse than todays utter shite.

We need to get midfield sorted. Korey hasn't been at his best since Christmas while Paterson's form is nowhere near what it was before he was out sick. Pack has been the most consistent and has to play if fit, while GO'N has the experience & Brownhill has the energy. Bryan needs to play at left midfield rather than left back where Kelly needs to come in. Baker needs to replace Wright in central defence.

With the right formation behind them Diedhiou & Reid can play together, or alternatively bring Diedhiou in as an impact substitute & play another no. 10 with Reid. Unfortunately Paterson out of form, Engvall sent back to Sweden, Taylor injured, and no one else is obvious in that position, unless you try CO'D or Eliasson.

One thing we can all agree on is that we never want to see that starting XI again.

Whether by lack of resource or by pure accident why played our best football in that 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 formation

Pack the holding midfielder, Smith & Brownhill the engine room, then 2 creative players plus Bobby up top

We dominated midfield and possession, not just passing sideways in our own half, but proper possession and created more chances

I agree with OP the main difference between pre-Christmas and post-Christmas has been the change in formation. (add to that injuries and suspensions)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but let's go back to playing one up front, which worked when done properly.

11 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Marry Taylor, when’s e back?

100 % agree. Taylor is the best no.10 at the club ! In his absence we must drop Fammy and go back to Bobby on his own with Pato as no.10. We’ve totally changed our style and shape to accommodate Fammy and it’s no coincidence that our form has dropped of a cliff since he’s been back.  Re Taylor : how long can it ******* take to get over a hernia op ???

I was thinking about this earlier , we were forced through injuries to play Reid up top and Pato fitted in behind brilliantly. The passing was crisp and quick , because the movement was good. Also , something that stood out Monday , the pressing was poor and laboured if we pressed at all. During our good run the press started with Reid , if he went others followed and it worked. With FD up front we try , but he is not as mobile or nippy and if he went with Bobby then Kent didn't and the midfield stood off. At our peak the press was high and we won the ball back often and in good positions, not only that our MF bombed on and Reid's ability to hold the ball and see a pass really stood out.
I would try a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 or at least try Reid as the false 9 as LJ like to call it , and have Patterson behind. His twisting and turning is far more effective in a centre role so he room to go both ways.
Thing is , I agree with @havanatopia we are very unlikely to change formation. It's just as unlikely that we will go to a Reid/Pato forward line, but something has to change soon or else we could well carry this form over to next year. That or we lose a large chunk of the squad in the summer.

Hope LJ shifts Reid back to lone striker, with Paterson behind.

On that note, I really think- and I don't blame people for this- that hooking Paterson v Wolves when we went down to 10, though a tactically understandable decision, didn't do anything at all for his confidence. That was a rich vein of form he was in- scored goals, created chances and him and the whole side were at optimum. I sometimes look back to that decision, secondary to the Fielding red and think 'What could have been.'

Let’s also consider that Millwall play the most straightforward 442 you can get.

Morison and Gregory up top.  Marshall (always liked him) and Wallace on the wings.  Savile and Williams in the middle.  Nothing clever about their formation.

20 hours ago, tin said:

Totally agree about Paterson. He has to play in behind Reid or not at all. 

I’ve been saying it for several weeks now, Diedhiou must make way. I like the guy but think he’d have more of an impact off the bench (especially if LJ made changes earlier). 

For me, our XI (plan A, 4-4-1-1) picks itself: Fiedling; Pisano, Baker, Flint, Kelly; Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Bryan; Paterson; Reid. 

Plan B (3-5-2, wingbacks): Fielding; Baker, Flint, Kelly; Pisano, Smith, Brownhill, Pack, Bryan; Diedhiou/Djuric, Reid.

Plan C (4-3-3, reliant on O’Dowda being fit again): Fielding; Pisano, Baker, Flint, Kelly/Bryan; Pack, Smith, Paterson; Brownhill, Reid, O’Dowda. 

Big fan of Kelly aren't you.

A mate of mine is by knows in the Johnson out camp but has been saying for months and months that he is maybe the worst in game manager he’s seen.

Whilst setting teams up well, He rarely has the nounce to effect the game once started. 

The longer the season has gone on the more apparent that has become 

58 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Looks the best man to fill the LB slot to me at the moment.

You've got him playing CB over our club captain in one of your line ups and ahead of both of our two players that will be representing their countries at the World Cup... 

1 minute ago, Robin TBW said:

You've got him playing CB over our club captain in one of your line ups and ahead of both of our two players that will be representing their countries at the World Cup

No, I haven't. You're confusing me with @tin.

Archived