IGNORED

Shots on target

harvey54

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Exactly. Millwall saw gaps and went for it. Direct without playing hoof ball. We are content to pass and pass, which can look good at times but with no end product its pretty meaningless. Millwall didnt mind us having the ball as we werent doing anything with it. 

There are teams in this division making far more passes than Bristol City. Fulham make a hundred passes a game more.

Fulham and Wolves play less long balls from more possession. Bristol City play more long balls (from more possession) than Millwall do. Bristol City is a team that has lost its way and the way it played. Bristol City are not this passing team people think they are. 

The way forward could be to pass even more. Be more patient. Be content to pass and move and probe then if necessary start again.

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Such a shame. 

I recall your OSIB feature not so long ago - convinced this was a very different team from the shambles of 2016/7.

Unfortunately the similarities are reappearing.

Reappearing is the understatement of the season. They reappeared a few weeks ago and are now are firmly the status quo. I've said it on here before, but for me Forest away last season (0-1) not Preston away (0-5) was as bad a game of football as you will ever see, simply because we had literally zero idea what to do, produced zero chances, and the lack of coherent strategy was depressing. I'm afraid for the past month we have reproduced that level of football. Not simply poor but alarmingly so. I see all the same traits as the very worst of last season - slow, narrow, players unable to pass forward with any conviction, trying to go through the middle and failing.

I actually cringe at that OSIB feature now. I was so excited and with reason. I was happy clapper #1. The football, more than the results, made me a believer. But the bit that does it for me, and the bit that sours all this progress stuff, is that for everyone who talks about progress, I would simply ask - if we have actually made any progress (as current league position in 1 month disappears completely - it is not a permanent platform) why is it that the manager and players are not only unable to reproduce that form now after at the VERY least a month against average sides, but not even able to produce even halfway basic competitive football against these average sides.

Sorry to say, but when you produce zero shots on goal and have no idea how to break down or even play against mid table / lower table teams, I laugh at the suggestion we have made any progress. There's been enough time in the past 1-2 months now to show that what we all consider progress, is reproduceable. And we not only can't reproduce it (and managers tactics are top of the list here), but we can't even produce the consolation of credible Championship football. I mean seriously, we're barely in these games, certainly not enough to be called competitive. We're just getting rolled over and doing little in return. What Millwall fans said about us was embarrassing.

8 hours ago, Spoons said:

We try to walk it in the net..... Just shoot!!

Not yesterday we didn't. @Esmond Million's Bung son has absolutely nailed it, we were taking aimless pot shots from 35 yards - sadly I'm not sure if it was because we remembered how effective shooting from distance was, it looked more like that was as far upfield (bar the last five minutes) we had any confidence of getting. :blink:

4 hours ago, Olé said:

Not yesterday we didn't. @Esmond Million's Bung son has absolutely nailed it, we were taking aimless pot shots from 35 yards - sadly I'm not sure if it was because we remembered how effective shooting from distance was, it looked more like that was as far upfield (bar the last five minutes) we had any confidence of getting. :blink:

I’m a great fan of both, but Baker and Pack should be ashamed to call themselves professionals after their long range efforts.

Ok maybe ashamed maybe a bit strong, but I can’t think of a better word now. 

Archived