IGNORED

Vyner - positive news!

ollywhyte

On 4/8/2018 at 09:06, GrahamC said:

I really like him, think he will be a good player but it is League One where three of the top four were relegated last year.

As for this myth that the spell at Plymouth improved Reid, they played him at the base of their midfield.

The positional switch and his own strength work improved Bobby, not Plymouth.

Really good point. A move which, despite all the criticism at the moment, can be directly attributed to LJ. I bet none of us could have seen that working.

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve said plenty of times on here in the last few weeks that we should make LJ work with with a smaller first team squad, getting rid of the dead wood and let the youngsters such as Vyner, Moore, Kelly, Morrell, etc be given the carrot to force their way in, or provide backup. They’ve had their men’s football, prove you’re worth a contract at Championship level. No need for further loans for these boys. If they haven’t learned the rough and tumble from League 2 then they won’t cope in the Champ. 

Didn't LJ say recently he wanted to do just that or is my memory playing tricks on me? Again. :facepalm:

39 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Didn't LJ say recently he wanted to do just that or is my memory playing tricks on me? Again. :facepalm:

Possibly, in which case he needs to be more selective about who he recruits then.

You all know I’m a Cotts fan, but he set his stall out to have a small squad of quality players.  Karl Robinson used to moan about our budget....but he had a squad of 30+ players....almost twice as big a squad as us.  If he’d trimmed it, he might have been able to bring in better players.  In LJ’s defence the loan / emergency loan system supported Cotts’s policy.

He must address squad size this summer....but it’s not easy to offload players (you don’t want) in contract.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly, in which case he needs to be more selective about who he recruits then.

You all know I’m a Cotts fan, but he set his stall out to have a small squad of quality players.  Karl Robinson used to moan about our budget....but he had a squad of 30+ players....almost twice as big a squad as us.  If he’d trimmed it, he might have been able to bring in better players.  In LJ’s defence the loan / emergency loan system supported Cotts’s policy.

He must address squad size this summer....but it’s not easy to offload players (you don’t want) in contract.

You're right on your last point of course. Nevertheless we know Engval will leave as will the players we have on loan.

Maggers' position is far from clear also, though I'm convinced he can come good. Who knows about Taylor also? In both cases there has been interest certainly.

If for instance Flint and Bryan were to leave they should be replaced by Vyner and Kelly imo.

On that basis a net reduction of 6 players could happen relatively easily.

Another interesting summer ahead.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It should be everyone’s policy(the Cotts one). There is no need for our squad to be as big as it is. Our young players aren’t even that young compared to the rest of Europe. Eliasson, Engvall, Moore, McCoulskey, Vyner and Morrell are all in their 20s. Should be featuring more for the club that pays them. Not saying 46 game starters but some starts in the league and cups with regular appearances off the bench. 

It won’t be easy to offload but with the 3 loans leaving, GON expiring and possible interest in a few that could be 6-7 gone with no need to replace any because we have replacements. Of course not saying don’t recruit but should be top quality in england players. We have enough projects to work on and sometimes feels we have too many and some may be missing out on some individual training. 

24 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It should be everyone’s policy(the Cotts one). There is no need for our squad to be as big as it is. Our young players aren’t even that young compared to the rest of Europe. Eliasson, Engvall, Moore, McCoulskey, Vyner and Morrell are all in their 20s. Should be featuring more for the club that pays them. Not saying 46 game starters but some starts in the league and cups with regular appearances off the bench. 

It won’t be easy to offload but with the 3 loans leaving, GON expiring and possible interest in a few that could be 6-7 gone with no need to replace any because we have replacements. Of course not saying don’t recruit but should be top quality in england players. We have enough projects to work on and sometimes feels we have too many and some may be missing out on some individual training. 

A combination of SC and LJ imo, given the former's disdain for bringing through young players. His refusal to sign up to the club's strategy cost him his job at least as much as results. 

I'm willing to bet Bobby Reid would not still be here under Steve and Vyner and Kelly would not be on the radar. Nor would he have been interested in signing the likes of O'Dowda and Brownhill I suspect.

A great shame he couldn't have been more open minded and flexible and less old school. Otherwise he could really have built on his achievements.

11 hours ago, fatchers said:

If anyone offers 12 million for Bryan they must be mad. His performances since the turn of the year have exposed his limitations. We'd be lucky to get 5 million. 

Completely agree, I think he is much better on the left of midfield. I can't see why we don't go for a LB in the summer and play a 4-5-1 next season with Fammy up front, Reid (or his replacement) in the hole, Pack/Smith/Brownhill in the middle and Bryan and O'Dowda on the wings. We'd also probably need a back up RB to Pisano (maybe buy someone young who could take his place in 18 months?). 

Suspect Flint and Mags (would rather Flint and Wright but ho hum) go, Baker, Wright, Vyner, Moore and Kelly all competing for places will mean our defence will be solid and have excellent depth.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In LJ’s defence the loan / emergency loan system supported Cotts’s policy.

Isn’t this the issue now? Not sure why the loan rule change was made as can’t see who it benefits. Certainly doesn’t help the youngsters; it’s a lower risk to fill out your squad with untested youngsters if you know that, if it turns out they aren’t ready, you can go into the loan market at that point.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

A combination of SC and LJ imo, given the former's disdain for bringing through young players. His refusal to sign up to the club's strategy cost him his job at least as much as results. 

I'm willing to bet Bobby Reid would not still be here under Steve and Vyner and Kelly would not be on the radar. Nor would he have been interested in signing the likes of O'Dowda and Brownhill I suspect.

A great shame he couldn't have been more open minded and flexible and less old school. Otherwise he could really have built on his achievements.

I really liked Cotts, but have to agree 100%.

On two occasions in The Championship we didn’t even fill our subs bench under him.

As soon as he was sacked Pembo immediately put Zak Vyner on the bench..

Even as a midfielder Reid was good in the limited chances that Cotts gave him during our first season up, but like you I don’t think he really ever trusted him.

11 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes I should have specified that. Obviously SC would at times name 6 subs instead of using a Vyner or Kelly. Definitely should be a mix of policies. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes I should have specified that. Obviously SC would at times name 6 subs instead of using a Vyner or Kelly. Definitely should be a mix of policies. 

I've no doubt that Cotterill was making a point to Lansdown about the club's failure to recruit in the summer by not fielding a full bench.  That's not a defence of him, by the way - although what he did in the promotion year was fantastic, he did appear to be clueless once we were in the Championship and completely unable to find a way out of our difficulties.  I find it amusing that people sometimes accuse Lee of not having a Plan B.  If ever there was a man without a Plan B it was Cotterill!

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I've no doubt that Cotterill was making a point to Lansdown about the club's failure to recruit in the summer by not fielding a full bench.  That's not a defence of him, by the way - although what he did in the promotion year was fantastic, he did appear to be clueless once we were in the Championship and completely unable to find a way out of our difficulties.  I find it amusing that people sometimes accuse Lee of not having a Plan B.  If ever there was a man without a Plan B it was Cotterill!

Can’t argue with any of that. Though my biggest gripe with LJ is he does have more assets at his disposal(that he has recruited!) and still uses as much of the squad as SC did(ok he made many changes in the early rounds of cups). A manager will never satisfy everyone I guess. 

On 08/04/2018 at 21:26, chinapig said:

Yes, he completely messed up Bobby Reid's career after all.

He was not responsuble for bobby’s breakthrough but did change his roll for the better,

My point is that despite poor performance in the league during January and the thrilling performance of our young players in the cup run against premiership teams, he still shipped the best of them out on loan! stripping the first team of the backup and any competition for places, had they been here we could have had some rotation if only by substitution, and relieved the pressure on some of the seniors.

The u23’s are not exactly on a winning streak either! This is what lead me to my comment about his ambition toward the young players, Kelly being the only one given a fair crack recently.

None of us know the reason for the slump if we did then perhaps we would be working back stage with the team!

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Superb performance by Zak against Portsmouth today by all accounts.  Plymouth fans on their forum saying that he is a Premiership centre half in the making.  Looking forward to seeing more of him next season.  Exciting times.

Presumably he`d have been up against Brett Pitman who is probably one of the most difficult strikers to play against at that level.

Just read the match report and he got one off the line in the last minute too, well done lad.

Archived