IGNORED

Away atmosphere yesterday...

Mr Popodopolous

I understand and fully appreciate the slump would have a big impact on this.

Given the numbers however and given the fact Millwall away isn't a family day as out as such as per Reading for example, and the fact that away fans tend to be part of a harder core. (Not my personal opinion, just a general perception in football).

The point is, what a poor atmosphere, apart of maybe 10 mins of chanting 'Red Army' from about 30 mins into the first half. I honestly hoped for a bit more, I keep on hearing how great our away atmosphere is but all the away games I've been to, not great in that regard.

Also found it interesting (was in Block 25) how many sat down persistently!

Like I say, was hoping for a bit more. Millwall away, big away following, 7th v 8th, big game, huge in the context of the season.

13 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Fans have thrown the towel in this season just loge the team

Atmosphere has been average for months at home tbh by and large. 2nd half v Sunderland, 3 up at halftime, place I thought would have been good, noisy. Home to Norwich, chance to get back on track, just after the great display at Man City, 2 pts off 2nd? Very average atmosphere. Whole ground. QPR at home was good and so too was Fulham IMO, but generally 2nd half of season it's been poor even when we had a fair bit to play for IMO. Sorry to say.

Yesterday it spilt over into away.

I was towards the front in Block 22 and in the first half everyone around me stood (mainly due to late arrivals blocking the aisle) and the atmosphere was, whilst not roaring,  OK. Come the second half though most were sat and the atmosphere died. I am not necessarily linking the two in this instance as what was occurring (or not) on the pitch had a greater impact. It was also very subdued on the train back to London Bridge.Tend to agree with @city1983 I think most just gave up and I suspect this will be reflected in the away attendances at Middlesbrough and Forest.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given the numbers however and given the fact Millwall away isn't a family day as out as such as per Reading for example, and the fact that away fans tend to be part of a harder core. (Not my personal opinion, just a general perception in football).

The point is, what a poor atmosphere, apart of maybe 10 mins of chanting 'Red Army' from about 30 mins into the first half. I honestly hoped for a bit more, I keep on hearing how great our away atmosphere is but all the away games I've been to, not great in that regard.

Like I say, was hoping for a bit more. Millwall away, big away following, 7th v 8th, big game, huge in the context of the season.

It was a good atmosphere to start with. But again our players were absolutely useless and gave us nothing to cheer. Some fans go to sing all game even if they lose 5.0. It's their release. Others cant be bothered and some aren't able to stand all game. No right or wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Most of the Millwall fans where I was sitting were very complimentary at the size of our away support.  In fairness we didn't have much to sing about either.

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Most of the Millwall fans where I was sitting were very complimentary at the size of our away support.  In fairness we didn't have much to sing about either.

Numbers were great. Frequently are at home too.

Chicken and egg though..do players get crowd going or vice versa? Or is it somewhere in the middle?

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair enough,  no right or wrong of course not. Maybe my ideas bit outdated just that I- and tbh I missed the first 15-20 mins as a ******* Southern train was cancelled so maybe that part was great, can't say- had higher hopes for it.

Did start off very lively from all ends of the ground. Was big potential in that away end if the team would've showed anything of note.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Atmosphere has been average for months at home tbh by and large. 2nd half v Sunderland, 3 up at halftime, place I thought would have been good, noisy. Home to Norwich, chance to get back on track, just after the great display at Man City, 2 pts off 2nd? Very average atmosphere. Whole ground. QPR at home was good and so too was Fulham IMO, but generally 2nd half of season it's been poor even when we had a fair bit to play for IMO. Sorry to say.

Yesterday it spilt over into away.

There you have it. You've posted about a poor atmosphere and missed 20 mins! 

22 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

There you have it. You've posted about a poor atmosphere and missed 20 mins! 

Was between 15 to 20 mins I missed.

Well, must have imagined the other 70-75 minutes then. :thumbsup:

Face it, was average at best yesterday. I do recall in Block 25 for about 10 minutes, from half hour in some persistent chanting of 'Red Army' but that was roughly it for that timespan.

I will add on a side note, I noticed quite a lot of Millwall fans in the 2 side stands, stood up quite persistently.

Now, maybe that's their designated relaxed attitude to standing, singing and the like but it's very big as a proportion of the ground if so, and especially when set against our one!

I felt the City fans were up for loud support on arrival but after the first goal went in it got tougher and tougher.  Crowd continued to sing but as almost every ball was given away it was difficult to maintain that momentum.  Just felt like many of the team weren’t responding.  Singing gradually replaced by frustration or silence after the second goal.   As others have said - very little to sing about.  But we tried. 

It went sometime before 2nd goal tbh.

May have been different in other blocks but in Block 25...

Maybe it's the case that save for glamour games (the Cup run, particularly v 2 Manchester sides), top of table clashes (the Wolves home game) or backs to the wall (Baker red card v QPR) our atmosphere just isn't what it was even 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I will add on a side note, I noticed quite a lot of Millwall fans in the 2 side stands, stood up quite persistently.

Now, maybe that's their designated relaxed attitude to standing, singing and the like but it's very big as a proportion of the ground if so, and especially when set against our one!

I highly doubt there is or needs to be a designated "relaxed" area. In a big game the majority will stand, as they also all do at every away game. Similar culture at clubs like Leeds, Birmingham, Wednesday. Entirely different to us.

34 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I highly doubt there is or needs to be a designated "relaxed" area. In a big game the majority will stand, as they also all do at every away game. Similar culture at clubs like Leeds, Birmingham, Wednesday. Entirely different to us.

They were home fans though, in the 2 side stands.

However I fully agree with and get what you're saying. Different culture for sure.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have actually seen someone on facebook blame the fans for yesterdays loss ....

Mental 

Was ok to start but rubbish after. Lots of fans in the concourse, I also know some who went but stayed in the pub! Also, a few of our boys put up a good fight in a Bermondsey pub, before getting outgunned, so a good 30 or so were a bit subdued! 

Generally though, atmos has been shit home and away for a while now as most of us can see that the shit being served up ain’t worth getting hoarse about. 

So how about this for 'fanatical' (or even moderately keen) support; big numbers sold and hundreds drinking p*** poor beer during the first half ( at 30 mins coz i needed a pee) at MFC prices with no intention of watching the game. The New Den used to have tvs with the game being shown live but no longer yet these people bought tickets and clearly had no intention of supporting the players nor even being able to talk about the match. Just pathetic yesterday as our support has been most of the season. For anyone who regularly reads the emotion (however misguided) on this forum they must wonder how 'their own' can go to games in numbers but not even be bothered to watch. I hope the players dont read this!

9 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Was ok to start but rubbish after. Lots of fans in the concourse, I also know some who went but stayed in the pub! Also, a few of our boys put up a good fight in a Bermondsey pub, before getting outgunned, so a good 30 or so were a bit subdued! 

Generally though, atmos has been shit home and away for a while now as most of us can see that the shit being served up ain’t worth getting hoarse about. 

Funny how last year in the relegation run-in...those three home wins which saved our season, it was better.

Norwich at home January? Poor atmosphere- FFS we were 4th in League a few points off 2nd and had taken Man City to the wire...place should have been bouncing!

Sunderland at home 3 up at Half time. I know Sunderland are poor but it was a golden chance to get back on track, still in playoff places... Very quiet to say we were 3 up. 

Just 2 examples.

Must have been 95% male backing for us yesterday and you have to say such a waste as it really never got fired up after the 1st goal. Also looking around the Millwall demographic is mostly male - might explain why they generate a good atmosphere for a smallish ground. They even got worked up to a man over where our guys took the throw-ins - passion or slightly small minded? who knows but they were definitely involved and seem to play into the 'no one likes us' mould.

1 minute ago, hantsred said:

Must have been 95% male backing for us yesterday and you have to say such a waste as it really never got fired up after the 1st goal. Also looking around the Millwall demographic is mostly male - might explain why they generate a good atmosphere for a smallish ground. They even got worked up to a man over where our guys took the throw-ins - passion or slightly small minded? who knows but they were definitely involved and seem to play into the 'no one likes us' mould.

By the way this is 2018. Not sure my daughter would agree with this post.

A good atmosphere can only be created if it's male dominated?

Seriously mate are you a caveman?

Just now, Spoons said:

By the way this is 2018. Not sure my daughter would agree with this post.

A good atmosphere can only be created if it's male dominated?

Seriously mate are you a caveman?

not at all - take my 12 year old daughter to most city games and also took her to the England Women's game the night before where it was a good atmosphre but definately a different experience to Millwall. My experience over the years is that family support is great but doesn't necessarily add to a passionate atmosphere of the ground. Not sexist and not meant to be and no dont leave in a cave last time I looked:P

Just now, hantsred said:

not at all - take my 12 year old daughter to most city games and also took her to the England Women's game the night before where it was a good atmosphre but definately a different experience to Millwall. My experience over the years is that family support is great but doesn't necessarily add to a passionate atmosphere of the ground. Not sexist and not meant to be and no dont leave in a cave last time I looked:P

Even more worrying post considering like me you have a daughter who follows city.

Archived