IGNORED

The Rising Sun- up for sale?

Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I always wondered how the Ship & Castle stayed open for so long considering there’s nothing really by it. Their non match day income must’ve been non existent.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

When did that close? 10 years ago or so?

Had many a great time in there, used to be some interesting after match events too with the opposition support

Was a real shame when the pub closed

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed, yeah. On both counts- for me the decline of the pub a mix of lack of cash and changing culture, basically.

It's a shame this one seems to be going though, surprised to see.

Ran a few bars and pubs in my time and simple fact is that times are a changing. Pubs like the Rising Sun will need to adapt and improvise to survive. Make the most of your busy days, ensure it's easy/quick for punters to get served, pack the bar with contactless paying readers etc.

26 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Yeah I reckon so, was too young to ever drink in there but always busy on a match day when I used to walk past from the car park 

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

Had many a great time in there, used to be some interesting after match events too with the opposition support

I remember it well as a local boozer but only ever went in there the once - first day of the season in glorious sunshine for (I think) the visit of Blackpool - possibly back in the days of Seal (not the singer) and Ago - but a lot of cider has flowed under the bridge since then so my memory is understandably not what it was 

2 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Ran a few bars and pubs in my time and simple fact is that times are a changing. Pubs like the Rising Sun will need to adapt and improvise to survive. Make the most of your busy days, ensure it's easy/quick for punters to get served, pack the bar with contactless paying readers etc.

Is this where Wetherspoons have got it spot on with an app & delivery to your table? Great idea. The tech must be there for pubs to do this fairly easily, surely? Order on your app when you're 2/3rds of the way through your drinks and get  them poured and brought over almost seamlessly as you finish. Pimps. 

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I always wondered how the Ship & Castle stayed open for so long considering there’s nothing really by it. Their non match day income must’ve been non existent.

My first job in 1975 was with HMSO (now the vehicle testing centre). The Ship was our lunchtime hangout. Used to be very popular. Sorry when I heard it closed.

35 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My first job in 1975 was with HMSO (now the vehicle testing centre). The Ship was our lunchtime hangout. Used to be very popular. Sorry when I heard it closed.

You seem to have a close connection with alcohol Tone. Nothing wrong with that mind!

9 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

A mate on here is a former landlord at The Ship. He told me it was always a fine line to keep regulars happy and to accomodate  football fans

• Admin
5 hours ago, phantom said:

Many a happy day and night spent in there, I was captain of the pool team for a while and played darts for them, the most difficult thing was that years ago, before cider got expensive and popular, not many pubs sold Blackthorn and even less sold rough.  I had one or two team members that wouldn’t go away to pubs that didn’t sell rough and a couple more that wouldn’t go to pubs that didn’t sell cider (when Blackthorn was pretty much the only keg cider - I’m not counting Strongbow as cider......).

21 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s a terrible thing that supermarkets sell beer cheaper than water, putting pubs out of business, I never even used to keep any drink in the house, would go out most nights, now I do have the odd drink at home, but still get out to pubs every week, it’s just not the same drinking at home.

I don't enjoy drinking at home so it's a rare occasion if I do it.

Nothing quite like a pint of real ale straight from the barrel in the atmosphere of a traditional English pub though. 

It might cost a bit more than super market stuff, but far better quality so well worth it imo.

Support your local pub. :yes:

On 10/04/2018 at 07:02, Carey 6 said:

Having run all 3 places in the past - Ship & Castle, Rising Sun/BS3 & The Robins, all had quite different trades. All did surprisingly ok out of matchdays. 

The Ship & BS3 had skittles, pool, Darts etc throughout the week. Both could get quite busy on Friday & Saturday nights for live music or Karaoke and both had reasonable trade for the big televised matches. 

The trouble is that being owned by Enterprise, or any other pub co. Means it’s very difficult to make a decent profit. Certainly one that reflects the hours and hard work needed to make them work. 

Pub co’s are a disgrace. They charge double for their beer that you can get it on the open market, meter the lines, so if you “buy out of tie” you face massive fines and the rents are high and only get increased at reviews, if you are doing well. Sky is essential in such pubs, but at around 3 grand PER MONTH! It takes a lot of trade to cover the costs of it. 

Had a great time running pubs, but glad to be out of it now! 

Anyway, the new land lady of the rising Sun has her opening night on Friday 20th, so it will be open for the Hull game.  

On 09/04/2018 at 20:40, publandlord said:

Assuming enterprise want to sell the price would be remarkably cheap. A building worth £1,000,000 as a house/office etc, would be lucky to fetch £400k as a pub.

Interesting as the telegraph article is above - its not accuarate. My first job was for a brewery (back in 1971) back then rents were not seen as an income stream, so a basic back street drinkers local would have a monthly rental of £5  (beer at the time was 12p a pint) when I left my back street village drinkers pub in 2009 the rental was £2500 a month   if beer had gone up at the same rate that 12p pint would be £60 now! so the idea that the pub companies are not profiteering b*stards is completely wrong - like a lot of other "news/analysis" in the telegraph.

I could still make a reasonable living from my pub, but others who followed me couldn't and its now shut.

If the club were to buy the Sun (again assuming Enterprise would sell) they would make sufficient money from match days (profit on a £3 pint is £1.50 - staff wages are not far off minimum wage) to make it support a tenant or manager on non match days.

Surely thats difficult to quantify unless you have seen their average matchday turnover over a period of time.

8 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I used to like going in their post match back then waiting for the crowd to die down for a hour or two before the mini bus picked us up.

How is Kerry these days, you still see her? 

I bump into her now and again. She’s fine. Married with a couple of kids now. 

We used to have some great times there, and at BS3. A lot of the old staff are still good friends and see a lot of each other. 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I bump into her now and again. She’s fine. Married with a couple of kids now. 

We used to have some great times there, and at BS3. A lot of the old staff are still good friends and see a lot of each other. 

That reminds me, if you ran 'The Robins', had an ex coworker named Row who worked there. 

Name ring a bell, or?

On 09/04/2018 at 15:22, BigTone said:

The problem is the Pub needs to be profitable 7 days a week and not just on matchdays

Not necessarily, all about overall takings and profit. Our village cricket club only opens its bar weekends in the Summer and for the occasional event the rest of the time.

Bet it makes more profit over the year than most local pubs.

23 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Not necessarily, all about overall takings and profit. Our village cricket club only opens its bar weekends in the Summer and for the occasional event the rest of the time.

Bet it makes more profit over the year than most local pubs.

That’s not a fair comparison, as a pub landlord has to pay substantial rent, which means the pub has to be open, and busy, 7 days per week. Once other overheads are included it means just opening weekends would be  suicidal

Happy times in the Riser.....seem to remember one particular home game, away coach pulled up outside after the game to get fish n chips from chippie down the road, didn't take long for a stream of pint glasses to fly through the air towards the coach, the sound of breaking glass and obscenities interrupted by the upstairs window sliding open and a very irate and tired landlord waving a rounders bat around, threatening us all below....anyone else remember that?

3 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Happy times in the Riser.....seem to remember one particular home game, away coach pulled up outside after the game to get fish n chips from chippie down the road, didn't take long for a stream of pint glasses to fly through the air towards the coach, the sound of breaking glass and obscenities interrupted by the upstairs window sliding open and a very irate and tired landlord waving a rounders bat around, threatening us all below....anyone else remember that?

That wasn’t me..! 

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

The good news is there is a new licensee in place ,not sure if it will be open in time for this Saturday but at least for the time being it will be re opening . 

Their opening night is this Friday, so why wouldn’t it be open for Saturday..?

4 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Happy times?

7 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

If those were happy times I’d hate to think what your bad times are like. 

Archived