IGNORED

The Rising Sun- up for sale?

Mr Popodopolous

Apologies if this already covered, or old news or generally heard on the grapevine, yet incorrect.

Reading the rugby forum, as I occasionally do, I noticed a thread about the Rising Sun. Apparently, it is up for sale, unfortunately. Was shut and locked up before and after Bristol rugby game a few days ago, according to the poster on there. Surprising, thought it was very popular on matchdays.

Steve Lansdown should buy it. At least then the bar/food takings could be pumped back into the club.

It would make my blood boil if I was him, to see how many of my "customers" were spending a fortune in there.

33 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

If its that lot then maybe they are ramping up the rent in an attempt to sit on an unlettable building for a few years, then seek an alternative (residential) planning use.

Always a possibilty, they own the Robins as well I believe.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Steve Lansdown should buy it. At least then the bar/food takings could be pumped back into the club.

That boat sailed years ago when Wedlocks was allowed to be knocked down - would have been the ideal venue

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

That boat sailed years ago when Wedlocks was allowed to be knocked down - would have been the ideal venue

Why?

It's only along the road from the ground so is likely to be heavily used on match days. The same goes for The Robins if that's up for sale. Could buy them both, close down the sports bar, make the shop bigger? All sorts of  options, but another couple of revenue streams.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

It would make my blood boil if I was him, to see how many of my "customers" were spending a fortune in there.

The problem is the Pub needs to be profitable 7 days a week and not just on matchdays

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The problem is the Pub needs to be profitable 7 days a week and not just on matchdays

Exactly this. Matchday takings, even including Bris home games, will far from sustain a boozer nowadays. As I've pointed out on the Bris forum, the Coopers is much better anyway. 

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Not if it's owned by Bristol Sport. I can't imagine it's own sports bar or coffee shop turns a profit 7 days per week.

Anyway, get the right people running it and smarten it up a bit, there's no reason why it couldn't. Food, Live music, skittles, darts & pool teams.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

I like what you’ve done there.

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Not if it's owned by Bristol Sport. I can't imagine it's own sports bar or coffee shop turns a profit 7 days per week.

Anyway, get the right people running it and smarten it up a bit, there's no reason why it couldn't. Food, Live music, skittles, darts & pool teams.

Agreed, but is our main focus running a stadium and football club or buying up pubs that are obviously struggling ?

Agreed, but is our main focus running a stadium and football club or buying up pubs that are obviously struggling ?

It is a strange one - but it is also a intriguing idea, buying up a few popular places close to the ground to monopolise on your product that is attracting people in the vicinity. If the facilities are good enough then encouraging people also 7 days a week to frequent, with subtle marketing of your main products  (Bristol Sports football/rugby/basketball etc). They already run coffee shop, bars, hospitality restaurant etc would it be to far out of their ability.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I wasn't the one who said it needed to be profitable 7 days per week.

I merely stated that I'd buy it if I was Steve Lansdown. Even If I only opened the pub when there was an event at the stadium, I'd rather people were spending money in my gaff then someone elses. We've spoken on here before how much money people spend in local pubs on a match day, that could all be going into the club coffers.

26 minutes ago, Fiale said:

It is a strange one - but it is also a intriguing idea, buying up a few popular places close to the ground to monopolise on your product that is attracting people in the vicinity. If the facilities are good enough then encouraging people also 7 days a week to frequent, with subtle marketing of your main products  (Bristol Sports football/rugby/basketball etc). They already run coffee shop, bars, hospitality restaurant etc would it be to far out of their ability.

The problem is that Pubs all over the UK are closing down due to lack of support no matter what. It's a very sad fact of the times we live in.  People these days tend to drink at home.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The problem is that Pubs all over the UK are closing down due to lack of support no matter what. It's a very sad fact of the times we live in.  People these days tend to drink at home.

Possibly a lack of money about too, in places.

Much more affordable to drink at home, with the possible exception of Wetherspoons. However, pubs are great.

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I merely stated that I'd buy it if I was Steve Lansdown. Even If I only opened the pub when there was an event at the stadium, I'd rather people were spending money in my gaff then someone elses. We've spoken on here before how much money people spend in local pubs on a match day, that could all be going into the club coffers.

But you won't make a huge profit if you are busy 1 day every fortnight. If I was SL and saw if it was profitable then yes I would think about buying it. If not then I would quickly walk away. I looked at buying a pub when I returned from living in Australia. Believe me when I say it isn't the pot of gold many think it is.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly a lack of money about too, in places.

Much more affordable to drink at home, with the possible exception of Wetherspoons. However, pubs are great.

They are indeed but money talks. How many on here drink down the pub every night ?  Conversely, how many drink at home ?  It's a sad reflection of the times we live in regrettably.

31 minutes ago, glynriley said:

With respect, that seems to ignore the capital cost of buying it and the overheads for running it. There’s no point in chasing match day revenue if you can’t make  the place pay overall, so that you have a worthwhile return on your capital.

They are indeed but money talks. How many on here drink down the pub every night ?  Conversely, how many drink at home ?  It's a sad reflection of the times we live in regrettably.

Agreed, yeah. On both counts- for me the decline of the pub a mix of lack of cash and changing culture, basically.

It's a shame this one seems to be going though, surprised to see.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But you won't make a huge profit if you are busy 1 day every fortnight. If I was SL and saw if it was profitable then yes I would think about buying it. If not then I would quickly walk away. I looked at buying a pub when I returned from living in Australia. Believe me when I say it isn't the pot of gold many think it is.

I think were looking at this from totally different angles. I'm not talking about SL buying it as a going concern, merely as an extension of the stadium facilities for supporters. (Football & Rugby)

We have a sports bar at the ground which is wholly inadequate. Nowhere where the average fan get go in sit down for a pint and a pie and chips. Having a pub within spitting distance of the ground would make sense, to me at least, even if it was only open 2 or 3 days per week.

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

With respect, that seems to ignore the capital cost of buying it and the overheads for running it. There’s no point in chasing match day revenue if you can’t make  the place pay overall, so that you have a worthwhile return on your capital.

When I looked at buying a pub I had a mate who was a training manager for Bass Breweries.  He explained that as a general rule the costs are split as a third for product, a third for overheads and a third for profit. You are actually better off just selling soft drinks as the margins are much higher.

Archived