IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

krxs97

Couldn't fault this guy for the first half of the season, getting in between midfield and defense and popping up with the odd goal. Also believe he created the most chances in the league towards the end of last year. 

But has yet to turn up in a league game this calendar year. Consistently bottled challenges, giving 50%, might as well be playing with 10 men.

How is he getting picked week in, week out?

53 minutes ago, krxs97 said:

Couldn't fault this guy for the first half of the season, getting in between midfield and defense and popping up with the odd goal. Also believe he created the most chances in the league towards the end of last year. 

But has yet to turn up in a league game this calendar year. Consistently bottled challenges, giving 50%, might as well be playing with 10 men.

Same could be said for half the squad. Also he hasn't been picked week in week out.

1 hour ago, krxs97 said:

There was talk that he picked up a virus that kept him out for a bit , he was on a drip at the hospital.

I wonder if he is still suffering from it . 

I have friends who had the virus this winter and they are still not at 100% . They complain of constant fatigue.

Now , imagine that you're a highly paid and valuable member of a promotion chasing Championship side and your coach names you in the team.

Sorry boss , I'm tired  ! 

I can't see it .

So he plays on but lacks energy and force. Then gets criticized and performances don't reach the level pre- illness. 

David Clarkson was never the same player again after he caught a virus . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There was talk that he picked up a virus that kept him out for a bit , he was on a drip at the hospital.

I wonder if he is still suffering from it . 

I have friends who had the virus this winter and they are still not at 100% . They complain of constant fatigue.

Now , imagine that you're a highly paid and valuable member of a promotion chasing Championship side and your coach names you in the team.

I can't see it .

So he plays on but lacks energy and force. Then gets criticized and performances don't reach the level pre- illness. 

David Clarkson was never the same player again after he caught a virus . 

But LJ relies heavily on performance analytics. The analysts would tell him Paterson is tired and shouldn’t play. So your theory is irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I can't see it .

Yes but at a pro football club we have top physios with doctor like knowledge of all conditions that affect athletes. He will be telling the coaches the expected limitations or not.

Whether the coaching team choose to listen or think a 75% Paterson is still a better starting option than other choices is a different issue - but - if I was a player on the bench or in the stand watching his efforts I would be wondering why !!

2 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

But LJ relies heavily on performance analytics. The analysts would tell him Paterson is tired and shouldn’t play. So your theory is irrelevant. 

Thank you for that .

I am fully aware that we have teams of analysts however perhaps the gamble is to play the guy at less than 100% because he's so important to the way we play ? 

Not every thing can be accurately measured or evaluated.

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am fully aware that we have teams of analysts however perhaps the gamble is to play the guy at less than 100% because he's so important to the way we play ? 

Maybe take the gamble for a couple of games. But I can't remember the last time he played well, really competed, and looked up for it.
To be fair, he's not been played in his strongest position lately. But even so, his performances since January have been pretty dire for the most part.

Just now, Dylan said:

Thought he was good Saturday although he wasted at least one chance.

I didn't think he turned up until the last 10 minutes on Saturday. Couple of decent runs then. Other than that, he was the same 'absent' player we have seen since January in my book.

38 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Thank you for that .

Wasn’t a dig at you, squire. Just that the theory of a pro player crying off with tiredness is just not probable these days as the analysts are all over it. 

43 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

More likely he pulled a groin or a hamstring or something and these things can niggle for months afterwards.

Didn't he have a hamstring problem that was being managed before the virus?   That would affect his ability to accelerate with pace either to get a away from a man or to press.   

1 hour ago, Enter Sandman said:

Wasn’t a dig at you, squire. Just that the theory of a pro player crying off with tiredness is just not probable these days as the analysts are all over it. 

I don't think for one moment that a player could absent himself through tiredness .

I believe that sometimes , even us mortals, don't realise how diminished we are after a bout of viral illness . The virus rarely dies out completely but rests dormant in the body until such time that it can break out again.

Moments of over stress or tiredness can lower the bodies resistance and favours the proliferation of the virus .

Someone joked about measles but Shingles are painful and debilitating in an adult and are viral.

As I previously stated , not everything can be measured.

On 08/04/2018 at 10:08, BobBobSuperBob said:

It may be the virus

But JP has been the same throughout his career to date , great ability , but at previous clubs and seasonally ,hits purple patches but also looks awful and dissapears for long periods 

Actually ..... he’s perfect for us 

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

He was unbelievably good in Dec. His goal away at Sheffield Utd was brilliant, and his performances that month against Boro and Reading at home (scored in both) were top drawer. 

Yep agree, but he has been consistently poor in the league in 2018, and it says all you need to know about LJ that despite this he keeps getting picked whilst Eliasson has been frozen out.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

As I previously stated , not everything can be measured.

In this case, I don't think any measurement is necessary. Just watching the games is enough. He's been little more than a passenger in this team for several months. Whether that's down to illness, confidence, lack of adaptability, missing desire is of no import, IMO. I don't think he deserves to be in the team. 

He seems to be the new OTIB whipping boy at the moment. Personally I can’t see that he’s been any worse than almost everyone else. Not many coming out of the last couple of months in any real credit. 

Our performance has dipped as a team. I’m not sure anyone still looks like the same player they did before Christmas, even the more consistent such as Reid/Smith/Flint look off their game. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Our performance has dipped as a team. I’m not sure anyone still looks like the same player they did before Christmas, even the more consistent such as Reid/Smith/Flint look off their game. 

That's certainly true that we have fallen away as a team. But I don't sense any lack of desire and willingness to get involved on the part of Reid, Smith or Flint. Pato just seems to want to hide away. Other players have to shoulder some of the responsibility for the dip in form, but for me Pato sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Red7 said:

That's certainly true that we have fallen away as a team. But I don't sense any lack of desire and willingness to get involved on the part of Reid, Smith or Flint. Pato just seems to want to hide away. Other players have to shoulder some of the responsibility for the dip in form, but for me Pato sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment.

Fair shout. I honestly haven’t picked up on a lack of desire, though I’m not great at watching individual players when not on the ball. 

I do wonder if it’s just where he was so good for the first half of the season that it’s more noticeable with him how different it is.  

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He seems to be the new OTIB whipping boy at the moment. Personally I can’t see that he’s been any worse than almost everyone else. Not many coming out of the last couple of months in any real credit. 

Think it's just because it has been quite an obvious slump in form and his place in the team hasn't been considered in the slightest, it seems.

Wright's has. Diedhiou's has. Play Eliasson ffs, he must have pissed in LJ's cornflakes.

Archived