IGNORED

Did not realise it was that bad!

coxyboy

League form since January 

LLDWLDDDLWLDWDLL

15 points from a possible 48

Not calling for LJ to go , that simply won’t happen but what has gone wrong ..me, I think tactics, inept team selection amd subs and players have not played for the shirt in my opinion..some need a kick up the ass ASAP 

Interestingly, after our 2-1 home victory against Cardiff back at the start of November, we had 30 points from 16 games. These 16 games above have yielded just 15 points.

Millwall had only taken 17 points from those first 16 games, just two better than our current run. Sheffield United were on 33 points, so since then they have been even worse than we have!

44 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

League form since January 

LLDWLDDDLWLDWDLL

15 points from a possible 48

Not calling for LJ to go , that simply won’t happen but what has gone wrong ..me, I think tactics, inept team selection amd subs and players have not played for the shirt in my opinion..some need a kick up the ass ASAP 

You should have started on 30 December which makes it even more impressive at 15 out of 51 points.

Derby - 1 more win than us in that period.

Preston - 2 more wins than us in that period.

Sheff Utd - 2 more wins than us in that period.

Question - people think Johnson should be judged on this poor run, and sacked because of it, rather than the balance of the whole season.

Same for these three teams, all within a few places of us in the top 10, Rowett, Neil and Wilder all for the sack then?

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Question - people think Johnson should be judged on this poor run, and sacked because of it, rather than the balance of the whole season.

Same for these three teams, all within a few places of us in the top 10, Rowett, Neil and Wilder all for the sack then?

Certainly don't think LJ should be sacked.

Arguably, the only one of those three under performing, is Rowett. Neil basically has Preston near where they should be, perhaps a bit higher. Wilder, well Sheff Utd are running out of steam a bit but they've done well this year.

Rowett otoh. Derby in recent years have spent a decent amount, have a lot of experience- but don't really play great football to show for it, nor will they get top 2. He's done okay but nothing great. I know it's only his first full season, but the truth is, Rowett teams are not set up or intended to play great football.

Johnson...doubt there's great clamour for his head but it's been very disappointing in 2018. Was watching some of our pre Christmas goals and build-up last night, focusing not just on the passing or the spectacular strikes, but the speed of thought and clever movement and it was far- a million miles- from what we've seen in recent weeks but particularly with the exception of the hammering of the injury wrecked Sheffield Wednesday- what we've seen from Cardiff away onwards. Until that point, there were still positive elements and the Fulham and QPR games were okay- Fulham because of their great form and them being formidable opposition, QPR because of 10 men. Elements v Sunderland and Leeds first half, touch unlucky to lose to Norwich and Bolton too.

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think the real concern is that Johnson's team are all or nothing & over a season inconsistent..

Were either carving sides open for fun for a considerable period of time-,then we switch to the polar opposite..

Maybe as a team we are bi-polar!!...

The trouble is if we start a season with the latter there is 'real pressure created...a worry.

14 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

The only person on this thread to mention the sack was you 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

4 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

The only person on this thread to mention the sack was you 

I was going to say exactly the same thing @coxyboy people keep writing things about people wanting LJ to be sacked on here, but people AREN'T actually saying that...                                                     

No offence to @Alessandro but I couldn't give a toss what other teams have done in the comparable period, all I know is that at the turn of the year we were flying in second place - unless we get something out of our next two games from that position we have thrown it away!!

Who is to say we will ever be in this great position again. . . 

41 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I think the real concern is that Johnson's team are all or nothing & over a season inconsistent..

Were either carving sides open for fun for a considerable period of time-,then we switch to the polar opposite..

Maybe as a team we are bi-polar!!...

The trouble is if we start a season with the latter there is 'real pressure created...a worry.

Yes there has been two seasons now of inconstancies, bi-polar nature as you put it.

This season isn’t anything like last in my opinion - as I’ve said before we’ve seen this season what a LJ team is capable of, IMO it’s a clear season of two half’s, where complacency may have creeped in and before we know it we’ve run out of steam, momentum and confidence. 

The reasons for that are multiple - but none IMO result in a sacked manager.

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was going to say exactly the same thing @coxyboy people keep writing things about people wanting LJ to be sacked on here, but people AREN'T actually saying that...                                                     

No offence to @Alessandro but I couldn't give a toss what other teams have done in the comparable period, all I know is that at the turn of the year we were flying in second place - unless we get something out of our next two games from that position we have thrown it away!!

Who is to say we will ever be in this great position again. . . 

No offence taken! 

But you highlight an important point for me - too many fans are thinking only about BCFC and are being insular.

People cherry pick success stories to compare is too - for example Huddersfield and say why can’t we do that - forgetting they spent more than us and had 5 seasons in the championship before promotion. Or Burnley - who flew pre Christmas and have won 2(?) since, yet having the brightest young manager in the country.

IMO you need to look around you at other teams. Because you can highlight Cardiff, Millwall and Fulham as teams flying and say why can’t we do that?

But at the same time you need to say while we’ve got 5 points in our last 5, what about Derby and Villa with a budget double ours (7 points in last 5), Sheff Utd (4 points) and Preston (3 points) and realise we are in a league with huge competition and are not the only team near the top struggling.

That said, I’m as frustrated, upset and disillusioned as the next fan, but it comes down to seeing the negatives or the positives. Both sides think they are the genuine realists. 

What I see is positives and progress.

Every football fan I talk to about BCFC says ‘you’ve had a great season and are going in the right direction’ and most called in Febuaury that we wouldn’t make the play offs. Only on OTIB are people calling for the managers head and everyone in football would be astonished if we sacked LJ.  

21 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

No offence taken! 

But you highlight an important point for me - too many fans are thinking only about BCFC and are being insular.

People cherry pick success stories to compare is too - for example Huddersfield and say why can’t we do that - forgetting they spent more than us and had 5 seasons in the championship before promotion. Or Burnley - who flew pre Christmas and have won 2(?) since, yet having the brightest young manager in the country.

IMO you need to look around you at other teams. Because you can highlight Cardiff, Millwall and Fulham as teams flying and say why can’t we do that?

But at the same time you need to say while we’ve got 5 points in our last 5, what about Derby and Villa with a budget double ours (7 points in last 5), Sheff Utd (4 points) and Preston (3 points) and realise we are in a league with huge competition and are not the only team near the top struggling.

That said, I’m as frustrated, upset and disillusioned as the next fan, but it comes down to seeing the negatives or the positives. Both sides think they are the genuine realists. 

What I see is positives and progress.

Every football fan I talk to about BCFC says ‘you’ve had a great season and are going in the right direction’ and most called in Febuaury that we wouldn’t make the play offs. Only on OTIB are people calling for the managers head and everyone in football would be astonished if we sacked LJ.  

Agreed broadly.

Such a tough League- even Wolves had a wobble. They are the best side and have been able to have a pretty good continuity of selection, not too many medium, let alone long term injuries etc.

Still at the same time, Norwich at home  (should have drawn but we lost), Bolton away (ditto) and Sunderland at home of course.

Three important games, not just in context of points but momentum- e.g. draw v Norwich, Derby, beat QPR with 10 for an hour, keep it ticking over with draw at Bolton then a strong win over Sunderland. Looks a lot better doesn't it, confidence rises a bit, suddenly you're 5 unbeaten and played really well over 2 games v Man City...suddenly you're in a decent place with a platform to go again and push on.

Firmly believe that period wrecked the season in terms of a sustained playoff push 

43 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Dire stats. Lose tonight and he should be getting Johnson out chants. Hope we win. Fans deserve better. 

I totally agree, such a poor show this year and not the for first time.. I blame our fans for excepting mediocrity over and over again being the reason why this club never progresses, after all we’re just poor old Bristol City, everyone’s bigger than us bla bla bla...

Boring as ****!!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed broadly.

Such a tough League- even Wolves had a wobble. They are the best side and have been able to have a pretty good continuity of selection, not too many medium, let alone long term injuries etc.

Still at the same time, Norwich at home  (should have drawn but we lost), Bolton away (ditto) and Sunderland at home of course.

Three important games, not just in context of points but momentum- e.g. draw v Norwich, Derby, beat QPR with 10 for an hour, keep it ticking over with draw at Bolton then a strong win over Sunderland. Looks a lot better doesn't it, confidence rises a bit, suddenly you're 5 unbeaten and played really well over 2 games v Man City...suddenly you're in a decent place with a platform to go again and push on.

Firmly believe that period wrecked the season.

Agreed - you can pinpoint several of these moments in the season. Sliding door moments, that’s why I talk a lot about momentum. Hard to find and harder to keep.

I’m not trying to brush over things or ignore problems. We clearly have issues and problems that need to be dealt with and areas to be improved on.

But it’s the blame culture that frustrates me. We need to have an excuse or reason for everything, then apportion blame and dish out discipline.

The only reason I compare us to other teams is because ultimately our success is based upon the competition -  so it is important to measure ourselves relative to that.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Agreed - you can pinpoint several of these moments in the season. Sliding door moments, that’s why I talk a lot about momentum. Hard to find and harder to keep.

I’m not trying to brush over things or ignore problems. We clearly have issues and problems that need to be dealt with and areas to be improved on.

But it’s the blame culture that frustrates me. We need to have an excuse or reason for everything, then apportion blame and dish out discipline.

The only reason I compare us to other teams is because ultimately our success is based upon the competition -  so it is important to measure ourselves relative to that.

Oh yeah- to look at us in isolation doesn't offer a full picture IMO. The competition play a big part in this too- and it is really competitive this division.

Blame culture? Tend to agree in general. Momentum? Tend to agree.

Where I diverge is that I pinpointed those 3 games- and there was bad luck too, for example a possible penalty at Bolton certainly and one at home to Norwich- but I pinpointed those 3 because I think LJ could have got those 4 points I refer to with different tactics, or a bit more pragmatism. He IMO deserved some blame for those 3 in particular.

Archived