IGNORED

Attendances over 20,000

Nongazeuse

Including last night against Birmingham, that makes the 11th City Home league match in  row with an attendance of over 20,000  (or 13th in a row if you include the two Manc games). 

There were also, prior to December, another three league games plus one (Palace) cup in excess of 20,000 crowd.

That is really impressive and fair play to everyone involved. 

This augers well for the long term future - you can't even say that the team performances encouraged the floaters after mid January. 

11 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

Yeah you would’ve been, the attendance is the amount of tickets sold for the game.

No it's not.  They are 2 different things. The attendance is by definition the number of people who have attended.  However, the club makes a declaration of the number of tickets sold but describes it as the attendance when it's not. Idiotic if you ask me.  They should declare both.  Would be hilarious hearing Arsenal's recent attendances vs the number of tickets sold.

3 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Including last night against Birmingham, that makes the 11th City Home league match in  row with an attendance of over 20,000  (or 13th in a row if you include the two Manc games). 

There were also, prior to December, another three league games plus one (Palace) cup in excess of 20,000 crowd.

That is really impressive and fair play to everyone involved. 

This augers well for the long term future - you can't even say that the team performances encouraged the floaters after mid January. 

encouraged the floaters, is that your way of saying we've been sh*t.

5 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Fantastic effort. Shows how far we've come in a realtively short period. :clapping:

The support has always been there, any match worth anything in the last 30 years will show that. The problem is we've had too many matches that weren't really worth anything at all in that time. Top end of the championship (and a ground big enough) and they will come. Make it to the PL and Ashton Gate will be bursting at the seams.  

8 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

The support has always been there, any match worth anything in the last 30 years will show that. The problem is we've had too many matches that weren't really worth anything at all in that time. Top end of the championship (and a ground big enough) and they will come. Make it to the PL and Ashton Gate will be bursting at the seams.  

The fact it's growth in season ticket sale and lots of young supporters is great too. (Leaving aside the screw up on the prices for a moment). 

Onceyou get the bug, it's difficult to find the cure!!!

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Looked nearer 16k actually present to me.

Agreed, a bit less than 16k imo, and that's including the 1.4k Brummies of course.

Couldn't see the Upper Dolman (behind me) but apart from the reasonably full block by S82 I can't remember seeing so many empty seats in the SS , and swathes of empty seats in the Lansdown too.

Loads of regulars around me missing in the LD, including half the row behind me..

Good atmosphere from the City fans who did turn up though.

I really don't like this business of announcing the attendance ( by definition that means the number of people present at a particular place or event) as the number of tickets sold whether the purchasers actually turned up or not

I want to know how many people were actually in the ground to watch the game, what the 'gate' was. 

For me, from a child, part of the fascination of studying the football results in the Sunday paper, and scrutinising the tables etc. always used to include checking the crowd at every fixture in the League to see which clubs' gates were increasing week by week or otherwise.

How a few bad results, it being a local derby, or a new signing could have quite a dramatic effect one way or another..

I found it fascinating - they even used to give a figure for the total attendance at all weekend matches.

Just not the same now with club's publishing and shouting about these totally false crowd numbers - I bet it's a bloody American innovation. :angry:

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I really don't like this business of announcing the attendance ( by definition that means the number of people present at a particular place or event) as the number of tickets sold whether the purchasers actually turned up or not

I want to know how many people were actually in the ground to watch the game, what the 'gate' was. 

For me, from a child, part of the fascination of studying the football results in the Sunday paper, and scrutinising the tables etc. always used to include checking the crowd at every fixture in the League to see which clubs' gates were increasing week by week or otherwise.

How a few bad results, it being a local derby, or a new signing could have quite a dramatic effect one way or another..

I found it fascinating - they even used to give a figure for the total attendance at all weekend matches.

Just not the same now with club's publishing and shouting about these totally false crowd numbers - I bet it's a bloody American innovation. :angry:

It's a declaration for tax purposes.  Remember the old Les and Des fantasy crowds in the early 90s?  Declaring 13,000 when the ground was rammed with about 4,000 away fans there.  Those were the days..

It's a bit pathetic really. What are they afraid of? Having a few less numbers to print out at the end of the season? Surely they must be able to work out how many actually went through a turnstile.

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's a bit pathetic really. What are they afraid of? Having a few less numbers to print out at the end of the season? Surely they must be able to work out how many actually went through a turnstile.

Especially with electronic turnstiles it should be almost instantaneous.

Would have thought that the total number is required for insurance purposes anyway so the actual value should be obtainable.

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Could make interesting reading if they declared actual people in the ground going back a few years, very interesting indeed.

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's a declaration for tax purposes.  Remember the old Les and Des fantasy crowds in the early 90s?  Declaring 13,000 when the ground was rammed with about 4,000 away fans there.  Those were the days..

As you said earlier, they should declare both figures.

Number of tickets sold to whoever needs to know it, but the announced attendance should be the number of people actually in the ground. 

Don't shout about attendances being so great when we can all look around us at AG and see on nights like last night that the figure being bellowed over the tannoy is absolute nonsense.

Archived