IGNORED

Bristol Robins

Sodburyreds

4 hours ago, Sodburyreds said:

Is it inevitable that if City ever get promoted another rebrands on the cards?apparently years of history and a proper badge don't appeal to a new fan base. Bristol Robins? Or worse? 

If Steve thinks it will earn more money then he'll do it, it's as simple as that. History and tradition is no obstacle and no particular concern of his. 

Clearly, for now, he thinks its not worth the change.

Today he nailed his colours to the mast.

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That is not remotely “for sure”.

For me it is. Red has been on the rugby kit for a little while now and there's no doubt he wants to do the reverse on the football kit. If he did it now the backlash would be huge, immediately after promotion to the Premier League? Not so much.

6 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

For me it is. Red has been on the rugby kit for a little while now and there's no doubt he wants to do the reverse on the football kit. If he did it now the backlash would be huge, immediately after promotion to the Premier League? Not so much.

“there’s no doubt”. Please justify your certainty.

7 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

While your suggestion would have seemed ludicrous to me not long ago, I'd suggest nothing is off the table now. 

The club name is more important than the colours to me, so there you have it. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

How would it benefit Bristol Sport to put blue on our kit?

Its not like we would be struggling to fill AG in the Premier League. Even after promotion the backlash would be huge, why piss off a fan base that would already be willing to buy all the available season tickets?

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Its not like we would be struggling to fill AG in the Premier League. Even after promotion the backlash would be huge, why piss off a fan base that would already be willing to buy all the available season tickets?

Marketing, sales, worldwide branding. Just look at Hull City. OK, The Tigers name branding didn't happen but the issue will resurface. 

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Why would it benefit Bristol sport to put red on the rugby kit?

In response to your second point, why would he care about pissing off the current fanbase when there would be thousands of Premier-League-hungry plastics ready to take our place?

6 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

In response to your second point, why would he care about pissing off the current fanbase when there would be thousands of Premier-League-hungry plastics ready to take our place?

Unfortunately, it appears that Bristol Sport couldn't give a flying **** about fans' opinions (sorry...customers)

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Marketing, sales, worldwide branding. Just look at Hull City. OK, The Tigers name branding didn't happen but the issue will resurface. 

With respect CR, none of those things are dependent on changing the colour of our kit. I see your point about Hull but I think that the ‘tiger’ brand their owners wanted to project has more marketing benefits (especially in the Far East) than simply wearing the same kit as a Rugby club that shares your stadium.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

....and when we get relegated from the Premier League?

What happens then?

I’m not saying that what you suggest is impossible, just that it’s far from certain and I’m struggling to see an actual financial benefit to Bristol Sport in doing it.

If the board thought being called the West Country ringworms and play in orange would attract more investment for their shareholding they’d do it. 

There no consideration for historical names or ties to colour , that pretty much goes for all 92 league clubs sadly 

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

With respect CR, none of those things are dependent on changing the colour of our kit. I see your point about Hull but I think that the ‘tiger’ brand their owners wanted to project has more marketing benefits (especially in the Far East) than simply wearing the same kit as a Rugby club that shares your stadium.

....and when we get relegated from the Premier League?

What happens then?

I’m not saying that what you suggest is impossible, just that it’s far from certain and I’m struggling to see an actual financial benefit to Bristol Sport in doing it.

Fair point. I was more alluding to the idea that all changes are on the table if it means increasing revenue. If consolidating the brand across sports means consolidating colour scheme who knows. 

I don't think any change is beyond the pale in the eyes of those running the club. 

Slowly but surely its only moving one way. 

Maybe League 1 wasn't so bad after all. 

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fair point. I was more alluding to the idea that all changes are on the table if it means increasing revenue. If consolidating the brand across sports means consolidating colour scheme who knows. 

I don't think any change is beyond the pale in the eyes of those running the club. 

Slowly but surely its only moving one way. 

Maybe League 1 wasn't so bad after all. 

I agree mate and sadly as someone else posted above, that’s something that all football clubs should be worried about in the modern game....even the Sags. 

The Hull City thing is just an example of how some owners think and I’m sure many of these people don’t give a toss about history and identity, just look at what Vincent Tan did at Cardiff.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the people running the club do want change, they seem to be business people not football people. Actually implementing that change and forcing it on a larger, more hostile crowd than the Rugby supporters seem to be...Im not so sure. 

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Well if he did it on one with no regard to the fans, why would he not want to on the other? 

That’s your theory only, leaves plenty of room for doubt and is far from a certainty. If he wanted to do that with our kit why wait until we’re in the PL? Bristol have been playing second tier rugby this year with red on their kit.

18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That’s your theory only, leaves plenty of room for doubt and is far from a certainty. If he wanted to do that with our kit why wait until we’re in the PL? Bristol have been playing second tier rugby this year with red on their kit.

Because he knows the backlash would be more fierce from us. However if we've just been promoted to the prem, he knows full well there'd be less of it, and people (unfortunately) wouldn't stay away with Premier League football awaiting them.

It's no shock that they waited until promotion to immediately announce the rebranding of Bristol Rugby, because this is a bigger issue than "just" putting red on the kit. And the backlash, although bad, is less than it would've been this time 12 months ago following relegation.

Archived