IGNORED

Bristol Robins

Sodburyreds

Seems the rugby teams all have their nicknames as part of their full names. Leicester Tigers, Exeter Chiefs, Sale Sharks, Newcastle Falcons, Northampton Saints, Worcester Warriors. 

So it’s not unusual. I suppose the name is questionable. Don’t know why, if they wanna be in touch with Bristol’s history, they didn’t just go the whole hog and rebrand as Bristol Slavers! 

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Im not sure ‘Bristol Sport’ are to blame for the Rugby name branding

SL On  radio tonight stated it was his own idea 

Ashton Gate upgrade was "not an option" re SL, at one stage; Ashton Vale was the only way forward; fans were not involved

As were they not in any price ST rise/manager/staff appointment; so don't expect any involvement in shirt/badge or name change or any other clubs that may or may not be brought under the Bristol Sport/SL empire.

AshtonGate has changed forever Bristol City fans were never asked about anything to do with it, so don't expect to be in the future; His way or the highway it is.

15 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Seems the rugby teams all have their nicknames as part of their full names. Leicester Tigers, Exeter Chiefs, Sale Sharks, Newcastle Falcons, Northampton Saints, Worcester Warriors. 

So it’s not unusual. I suppose the name is questionable. Don’t know why, if they wanna be in touch with Bristol’s history, they didn’t just go the whole hog and rebrand as Bristol Slavers! 

Indeed looking at that list Bristol would stand out as looking a little odd in comparison. I know this has been brought over from American sport but I am sure the TV love it so they can get their graphics  going and make their "match up puns" when advertising the games. 
Football teams have always had their nicknames and Sky etc are always trying to make something out of them.

As far as Bristol Rugby is concerned, perhaps they should be grateful no-one went back to the days when we used to produce the Sopwith Camel! :)  

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Im not sure ‘Bristol Sport’ are to blame for the Rugby name branding

SL On  radio tonight stated it was his own idea 

.....& surprise surprise.

When he floated HIS idea and HIS suggestion of Bears as a good name for Bristol Rugby ... everyone he mentioned it to at the club thought it was a great idea! 

( well, would you be honest with the Billionaire owner of your company if he asked you what you think of HIS ideas and favoured suggestions, ...if you really thought shit WTF is the old man on? ) 

I can think of a couple of Billion reasons to 'agree' with the boss, and the same amount of reasons why it perhaps wouldn't be a good idea, in the long run, to risk openly voicing your true thoughts on what you really think is a bloody stupid suggestion. 

I wonder what the true consensus of opinion among the BS 'suits' really is in this issue... BRISTOL BEARS ffs... why give your rugby club a name with no local association to anything other than coincidentally to the established name of a nearby gay bar and club. ? 

Sometimes, for the greater good, YES men need to grow a pair and say NO!

28 minutes ago, the frampton balti said:

wholly ridiculous . I really hope this doesnt happen to the football club!

I didnt think we were the babes  I think we were the bristol babe. ....great name!!!

The Rugby Premiership already has Falcons, Chiefs, Warriors etc, it’s not that ridiculous. 

It wont happen to the football club. 

I love Robins but I don’t think there’s much marketing appeal in small, fluffy, generally bad tempered birds either here or abroad.

Pirates on the other hand....for some reason people (children in particular) get quite excited about Pirates. If I supported a club with that nickname and newish, foriegn owners I might be slightly concerned that a name change could be on the cards if top flight football ever happened.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The Rugby Premiership already has Falcons, Chiefs, Warriors etc, it’s not that ridiculous. 

I love Robins but I don’t think there’s much marketing appeal in small, fluffy, generally bad tempered birds either here or abroad.

Pirates on the other hand....for some reason people (children in particular) get quite excited about Pirates. If I supported a club with that nickname and newish, foriegn owners I might be slightly concerned that a name change could be on the cards if top flight football ever happened.

No need to worry on either score it would seem. Never going to happen!

As for renaming at Bristol Sport, I would have thought "Bristol Mugs" would be just about right at the moment. Interchangeable between football and rugby teams and their respective supporters...

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

No need to worry on either score it would seem. Never going to happen!

As for renaming at Bristol Sport, I would have thought "Bristol Mugs" would be just about right at the moment. Interchangeable between football and rugby teams and their respective supporters...

In what sense would that be “just about right for us” then?

On 16/04/2018 at 14:35, cidercity1987 said:

Always found Robins to be a totally crap nickname. No different to Bears in that what has the name to do with us?

My problem with Robins is all the red teams in the South West use it. I've always assumed our uses precedes Swindon and Cheltenham doing so - though never looked it up so I could be wrong - but it is still a shame that our nickname is a bit generic. 

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My problem with Robins is all the red teams in the South West use it. I've always assumed our uses precedes Swindon and Cheltenham doing so - though never looked it up so I could be wrong - but it is still a shame that our nickname is a bit generic. 

Perhaps we should change our nickname to ' The Reds ' ? 

:yes:

l have been working on this since the announcement of the Bristol Bare Arse Rugby Club .

On 17 April 2018 at 23:57, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

In what sense would that be “just about right for us” then?

Mugs? Us?

How about the season ticketing fiasco?

How about the fact that Bristol City is slowly but surely bring downplayed at Ashton Gate (it only appears in the Atyeo seats now and under the South Stand whereas under the West stand it's all about Bristol Rugby, sorry Bears - oh dear!). 

How about that we thought that we would really give promotion a go, when obviously certain people high up in Bristol Sport weren't so bothered?

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Mugs? Us?

How about the season ticketing fiasco?

How about the fact that Bristol City is slowly but surely bring downplayed at Ashton Gate (it only appears in the Atyeo seats now and under the South Stand whereas under the West stand it's all about Bristol Rugby, sorry Bears - oh dear!). 

How about that we thought that we would really give promotion a go, when obviously certain people high up in Bristol Sport weren't so bothered?

Not sure how any of that makes us mugs.

Its not like the ST fiasco or the worrying drop in form has just been ignored by the fans? Certainly not on here...

Im not sure your ‘weren’t so bothered’ description is that accurate either...wrong decisions definitely.

I also want to see more of our identity at Ashton Gate, certainly inside the stands as well as the exterior. I’m glad the seats were red and not a neutral colour (or worse...blue) but I would like to see more ‘City’ in the ground. 

We arent mugs, we try to make our voices heard unlike other clubs fans who just blindly accept any old shit their owners come out with. Just because some of us refuse to panic about a change of name for the F.C. that is highly unlikely for various reasons, that doesnt make us mugs either.

On 17/04/2018 at 18:14, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Always think pie rats to be more apt.

Archived