IGNORED

That substitution

MC RISK77

1 hour ago, ciderrider said:

I don't think  O'Dowda was at fault for that goal. He didn't keep up with the right back because he's not quite match fit,  but Joe Bryan had a mare at left today like he did against Brentford. JB just very quickly deflected his shortcomings by patting  Callum on the shoulder to put the blame on him. 

I'm a huge JB fan,  but he's played in so many positions this season I sometimes think he loses track of where he's meant to be playing. 

Joe Bryan is not good enough at LB, just because he is one of our own doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticised. He has been very very poor since the new year.

8 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Putting the leagues leading scorer at left wing is fucking ridiculous. 

Even more ridiculous was leaving him there when he stuck 2 centre backs up front!! 

Ridiculous. 

Completely agree. What was even more odd was Brownhill wasn't playing in the middle alongside Smith and Pack he played a lot further forward in a number 10 role...crazy. Surely with the same players put Paterson left, Brownhill right and keep Bobby where he was? An astonishing error and a catalyst to the turnaround from Hull. 

O'Dowda was tiring as he's clearly not fully fit yet. But the switch he made was odd to say the least.

6 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Completely agree. What was even more odd was Brownhill wasn't playing in the middle alongside Smith and Pack he played a lot further forward in a number 10 role...crazy. Surely with the same players put Paterson left, Brownhill right and keep Bobby where he was? An astonishing error and a catalyst to the turnaround from Hull. 

O'Dowda was tiring as he's clearly not fully fit yet. But the switch he made was odd to say the least.

Exactly. Reid should’ve been the advanced midfielder. It’s was just baffling 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Cmon @Chivs instead of textIng  Lee with your undying love

Lets hear your explanations and football based nous instead of hiding behind snakes and rubbish icons

Dont be a keyboard child

Lets debate your football opinions and observations

:yawn:

7B8854D0-A0DF-4E65-8882-5895E9718952.png

You are good at unsubstantiated rumour and innuendo.  I prefer the facts:

First win at Ipswich for 39 years

First win over Birmingham for 25 years

First win over Man Red for 43 years

First semi-final of a major Cup for 28 years

Highest league position for a decade

What a rudderless shambles Johnson is providing

:laughcont:

10 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Yes it absolutely is a rudderless shambles atm

As for your list

Is that it ?

Your footballing debate and explanations of what’s actually the state right now. ??

Genius

Ill give you some starters

£30m spent 

worst losing run in our history 

more capitulations under one manager  than I can recall in 40 odd years 

etc etc

open your blinkered eyes and see what’s unravelling - Mr Corporate and LJ will have to deliver in the summer at a level they’ve yet attained to have us not facing a dogfight next year

Maybe you’d like to answer the question I posed about Pisanos antics today and any reaction from LJ , and the possible three explanations

- Probably a bit difficult for you to answer so I won’t hold my breath 

What actual reasons , (not lists) do you base your blinkered optimism on ? 

(won’t hold my breath - not sure I’ve ever seen you manage to explain or debate a point with your football based  explanations  )

4 hours ago, joeyb said:

People crying about the fact that Johnson doesn't know how to see a game out. 4-2 up, he brings on an extra midfielder and puts Reid LM.

Seems to me like he tried to do exactly that - see the game out. The players let him and the club down today.

Wanker!!!

2 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Putting the leagues leading scorer at left wing is fucking ridiculous. 

Even more ridiculous was leaving him there when he stuck 2 centre backs up front!! 

Ridiculous. 

needs more ridiculousness,' doesn't do him justice!! 

I posted on another’s thread that the obvious change was to take Callum off bring on Kelly and push joe to left midfield. Left hand side strengthened without disrupting the team. Totally bonkers to shift your top scorer onto the left and seemingly play brownhil in a no.10. IMO Johnson is tactical inept, he has been since he has been here and unfortunately he shows no sign of improving. Sunderland and today’s capitulationions against teams threatened with relegation have cost us a play offs place and should cost Johnson his job. 

11 hours ago, Chivs said:

You and Sean O'Driscoll would make a great double act !

9 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

I was wondering why he didn't take piss poor Pisano off and put on Bailey Wright on

Even Johnson is smart enough to know changing like for like ability is pointless? :dunno:

9 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I posted on another’s thread that the obvious change was to take Callum off bring on Kelly and push joe to left midfield. Left hand side strengthened without disrupting the team. Totally bonkers to shift your top scorer onto the left and seemingly play brownhil in a no.10. IMO Johnson is tactical inept, he has been since he has been here and unfortunately he shows no sign of improving. Sunderland and today’s capitulationions against teams threatened with relegation have cost us a play offs place and should cost Johnson his job. 

A shortened version; A mirror image of his Dad and destined for lower league greatness. In the convening 22 years he is gonna keep trying for us. 

14 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ultimately it doesn't matter whose fault it is. The manager is ultimately accountable. That's at least the third time we've thrown away a significant lead. Whether that's LJ's decisions tactically or LJ's decision to keep picking players who throw leads away is splitting hairs really. 

Agree but it's more than three.

Wolves away and home (4pts)

Sunderland (2), Leeds (2) and now Hull (2).

Ten more points would put a significantly different slant on our season.

14 hours ago, joeyb said:

Fielding seems like a top bloke and obviously loves the club but he just isn't good enough to be a number 1 for a club aiming to compete at the top in this league.

I agree completely about Frankie. Has behaved with impeccable professionalism when his position in the side has been under threat, but you don’t win trophies without a really good keeper and I’m afraid in the final analysis he just isn’t.

15 hours ago, joeyb said:

People crying about the fact that Johnson doesn't know how to see a game out. 4-2 up, he brings on an extra midfielder and puts Reid LM.

Seems to me like he tried to do exactly that - see the game out. The players let him and the club down today.

Rubbish - Defending starts from the front and nobody in the whole division does that better than Bobby Reid, chasing down the ball and forcing hurried passes, put him out at LM (which LJ has tried several times during our ShIte run), and he becomes half as effective and we don't defend as a team anywhere near as well.  Another totally crass decision by LJ  yesterday which cost us the win. 

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Agree but it's more than three.

Wolves away and home (4pts)

Sunderland (2), Leeds (2) and now Hull (2).

Ten more points would put a significantly different slant on our season.

And capitulations last season ........

Not a new trend is it

Learning ????

Wheres the evidence of learning 2 yrs in 

15 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well we won 2 1 in the time O'Dowda was on the pitch 2nd half and lost 3-1 after so thankfully Johnson didn't do it at HT.

What’s his love-in with O’Dowda? Most overrated player at the club in my opinion. He’s a winger who hardly ever beats his marker and I can’t remember the last time he put in a decent cross. Harry Wilson of Hull yesterday was a class act and I would love him and city. 

14 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The lost points

3-0 up to Sunderland = draw

2-0 up to Leeds = draw

4 - 2 up V Hull = Draw

1-0 up to 10 man Wolves at home = Loss

The nine points that would see us in the playoffs.

Embarrassing, inept, enough. Out. 

You forgot to add in the following

1 up against Man City and lost 2 1 in injury time

2 nil down Hull and won 3 - 2

Unifying the club from the academy to the first team. Something Cotterill never achieved.

The last minute winner vs Sheff Utd.

Its clear that a number of fans dislike LJ and what ever he does some fans will focus on the negatives. Totally agree performances have been below par but calling for the managers head are embarrassing.

There will always be lots of Ifs and buts across the course of the season. Some of these are down to poor management (Sunderland), some of these are down to individual errors (Hull) and some down to the opposition being better than us (Wolves)

Just need some perspective and expectation management in what we are up against in the Championship. 

Definitely odd to move Reid out to the left but he had to bolster the midfield to see the game out. Of course it didn't work but at the time it was the right decision. The wrong decision in my opinion was to not use one of the midfield three as a holding midfielder. We don't really tend to play with an anchor man or defensive mid to protect the defence in these situations, and out of the three playing at the time Pack was probably most suited to that role.

I personally would have gone with the midfield 5, but brought on someone like Eliasson to go on the wing with Paterson on the other, and stick Reid, Smith and Pack in the midfield three (maybe even replace Reid with Brownhill). Harsh on Bobby but would have helped see the game out.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes it absolutely is a rudderless shambles atm

As for your list

Is that it ?

Your footballing debate and explanations of what’s actually the state right now. ??

Genius

Ill give you some starters

£30m spent 

worst losing run in our history 

more capitulations under one manager  than I can recall in 40 odd years 

etc etc

open your blinkered eyes and see what’s unravelling - Mr Corporate and LJ will have to deliver in the summer at a level they’ve yet attained to have us not facing a dogfight next year

Maybe you’d like to answer the question I posed about Pisanos antics today and any reaction from LJ , and the possible three explanations

- Probably a bit difficult for you to answer so I won’t hold my breath 

What actual reasons , (not lists) do you base your blinkered optimism on ? 

(won’t hold my breath - not sure I’ve ever seen you manage to explain or debate a point with your football based  explanations  )

Using transfermrkt.com (which uses Euro's), LJ's spend by season is:

16/17: 12.6m spent / 14.12 received (roughly £10m spent / £11.5m received)

17/18: 13.4m spent / 3.3m received (roughly £11m spent / £2.5m received)

That gives a net transfer spend of £7m. Note this excludes any Bolasie money.

And before you say he never bought Kodjia etc, that is correct, but he is the man who had to deal with losing one of the divisions top strikers. Coupled with the fact the squad was threadbare on numbers so needed boosting (Cotts to blame), our squad is now much better in strength and depth with a net spend of £7m. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

On top, we now have a few players coming through the academy with a pathway - thanks to LJ. 

Our players squad values are now much greater - for example, we could feasibly receive (and I'm being cautious here) £5m for each of Reid, Bryan and Flint.

Of course, if we lose these players, we have a rebuilding job to do. But looking at the significant buys (over 1m euros) under LJ:

• 2.1m euros for Mags - I think he will be a good player and has shown glimpses and at 25 has his best years to come despite not playing a huge amount since he arrived. Hit
  • 3.5m euros for Tomlin but got 3.3m euros back - poor season for us but who wouldn't have signed him after the spell. Have to give him a miss though.
  • 1.8m euros for Djuric - he offers us a plan B and if/when he can get over his recent injury problems (a full pre-season should help) he can be useful player for us. Hit
  • 1.75m for Moore - needs to improve but still only 21 and jury is still out as to whether he ever makes it with City. Miss
  • 1.6m euros for Engvall - I admit I can't see it ever working for him here. Miss
  • 1.2m euros for O'Dowda - looks a good buy for the price and believe he will be a good player for us next season. Hit
  • 6m euros for Diedhou - a lot of money but he's scored 12 goals in an injury hit season with us. No proven championship strikers go for below £8m these days, so hit.
  • 4.3m euros for Baker - again a big purchase. Shown in the 1st half of the season and when on loan what a good defender he is at this level. What's happened recently formwise I don't know but again I'd say hit.
  • 2m euros for Eliasson - not seen enough to gauge an opinion yet but he looks talented. I think LJ has made errors in that he's not given Eliasson a chance to prove his worth in the Championship yet. Hoping to see more next season. Neither hit or miss.
  • 1.1m euros for Walsh - see Eliasson.

By amount paid, I put 16.3m euros in hit / 7m euros in miss (make it 4m after removing LT received) with 3.1m euros in judge next season camp.

Doesn't seem that bad to me and you'll find clubs with a lot worse ratios than that in this division.

LJ has been tasked with upgrading a squad whilst bringing in young players who improve and to then make a profit. Which he is doing, the above speaks for that as only Djuric Moore and Engvall having values below what we bought them at.

LJ might have made some tactical decisions that haven't worked (hindsight or not). But he's still one of the youngest coaches in the league and on a relatively small budget - the above proves this. Fans are willing to give players the time to learn - why not managers? I've seen so many posters on here say they are disillusioned with the modern game, throwing money around, Sky, the premier league, you name it. But when a club and Board try to do things slightly differently and actually try and build something and perhaps take a more "old-school" approach to developing the club (and despite the year on year improvements since LJ came in) they and the manager get ridiculed.

On 22/04/2018 at 08:52, swanker said:

What’s his love-in with O’Dowda? Most overrated player at the club in my opinion. He’s a winger who hardly ever beats his marker and I can’t remember the last time he put in a decent cross. Harry Wilson of Hull yesterday was a class act and I would love him and city. 

Can't agree with that I'm afraid, up until his injury O'Dowda was beginning to look one of the best wide players in the league and one of the first names on the teamsheet, he was getting into great form with the final ball, whether a shot, pass or cross too. He also gives balance with his workrate and defensive capabilities.

Archived