IGNORED

Zeebrugge

Mike Hunt-Hertz

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought this thread was about the Spirit of Free Enterprise.

Herald of Free Enterprise, Spirit was her sistership which I had travelled on only a couple of weeks earlier. No idea at the time the dangerous practices that were in place. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Herald of Free Enterprise, Spirit was her sistership which I had travelled on only a couple of weeks earlier. No idea at the time the dangerous practices that were in place. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

31 years ago she tipped over with the loss of almost 200 lives. Desperately tragic caused by negligence.

My Great Grandfather's younger brother was on that raid. He was a stoker on the Vindictive. We only discovered this bit of family history when we were researching some war records.

Such was the level of heroism displayed by so many on the raid that all those who took part were given ballot papers to vote on who they felt most deserved a Victoria Cross. The fact they voted in the ballot was stamped on their service records.

More bizarrely, my Dad found a small paperback book on the raid and there on the back cover is a picture of some of the surviving HMS Vindictive crew and my Great Grandfather's brother is right in the middle of the picture.

6 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

My Great Grandfather's younger brother was on that raid. He was a stoker on the Vindictive. We only discovered this bit of family history when we were researching some war records.

Such was the level of heroism displayed by so many on the raid that all those who took part were given ballot papers to vote on who they felt most deserved a Victoria Cross. The fact they voted in the ballot was stamped on their service records.

More bizarrely, my Dad found a small paperback book on the raid and there on the back cover is a picture of some of the surviving HMS Vindictive crew and my Great Grandfather's brother is right in the middle of the picture.

The bow section of the Vindictive is in Ostend as a memorial (it was used on a later raid on Ostend)

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:38, Midlands Robin said:

Vindictive.png

Archived