IGNORED

If you'd had the choice...

BlueDredd

13 minutes ago, bris red said:

Was there? I cant recall many people saying that. If anything I remember a lot of concern around the fanbase at the time of the scenario that we have seen played out, taking our eye off the league. Many myself included thought January came at the perfect time, how wrong we were.. probably the worst transfer window in quite some years.

That’s my recollection also. The cup run was fantastic however League is the bread and butter.  In retrospect people were right to raise those concerns and how we played against QPR the following Saturday after the Man U game should’ve started to ring the alarm bells there and then. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!

I'd have taken 2nd place over everything. Cup run hype has caused our bloody downfall imo. 

Concentration on promotion must be targeted ffs. 

So really the option is:

2nd place (auto promotion) 

Or

Falling away after a cup run with a few highs, not being able to beat shite like Burton, Sunderland, Hull etc etc and finishing mid table after so much hype and promise? Oh and the possibility of a rebuilding programme with so many exits looming? 

I know which l would prefer... And if its not obvious just look at the Premier league fixture list!!! 

Fans aren't to blame for dreaming, club are to blame for failing. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to say, really.

The League Cup WOULD have meant we had knocked out, beaten half the modern English elite (2 Manchester clubs and one of Chelsea/Arsenal). Plus first major trophy in history and a totally unexpected European tour. Who knows when we'll get that chance again?

Same could be said about the playoffs though and the chance for promotion- about being 2nd approaching the last game of the year.

Impossible to split them tbh.

In the league cup rules it states that if a non prem team wins the thing the euro place goes to the highest finishing prem team not qualified for European competition.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah really??

Wow, that's a bit poor- quite unfair IMO.

Quite unfair!?

The league cup not catering for it's own 72 clubs but bowing and scraping to the Prem. That, quite frankly if true, is disgraceful.

10 minutes ago, grubby said:

In the league cup rules it states that if a non prem team wins the thing the euro place goes to the highest finishing prem team not qualified for European competition.

Hmm, modern football.... 

Sport vs Money  ..... Only one winner....

Money, Money, Money (football) It's A Rich Mans World! :sad26:

24 minutes ago, grubby said:

No. It does not.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

Everyone saying “I’d rather win the league cup than finish 6th” - that wasn’t the question, he said getting to the final!

Final or 6th is a tough call because neither actually guarantees you anything, although the final does give you the trip to Wembley.

I’d probably take the final as I believe we’d have a better chance in a one-off game than we would getting through three play off games to achieve promotion.

If it’s winning the league cup v 6th spot, league cup every time. Promotion at some other point in my lifetime seems more likely than winning an actual trophy.

Finishing in the playoffs all day long for me. Can you imagine the buzz around the club if we had stayed in the top six? We would have been selling out every game! Stuff the league cup, it’s a Mickey Mouse competition. Who won it last season? I don’t know because I don’t care!

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Everyone saying “I’d rather win the league cup than finish 6th” - that wasn’t the question, he said getting to the final!

Final or 6th is a tough call because neither actually guarantees you anything, although the final does give you the trip to Wembley.

I’d probably take the final as I believe we’d have a better chance in a one-off game than we would getting through three play off games to achieve promotion.

If it’s winning the league cup v 6th spot, league cup every time. Promotion at some other point in my lifetime seems more likely than winning an actual trophy.

Even if it were a top two premier league side..

As opposed to two teams in the play offs that are in and around you?

10 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

Probably better to look at more recent times.. As they seem to be more relevant.

Have you finished above Cardiff in the last 15 years?

Finished above you last year. If you wanna choose a defined period of betterness then I’ll choose last year! 

Go and gob on your mother. Oh, sorry, that’s not gob, it’s your national language. 

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Cardiff over two legs ? 

Id be confidant of getting to the play off final , 

fulham over two legs not a hope in hell of progressing .

Cardiff would stuff us over 2 legs. 

2 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Finished above you last year. If you wanna choose a defined period of betterness then I’ll choose last year! 

Go and gob on your mother. Oh, sorry, that’s not gob, it’s your national language. 

Er did we?!

1 minute ago, Enter Sandman said:

I think you'll find we finished 12th... You finished 17th.

You were almost relegated mate  :facepalm:

What a knob end :disapointed2se:

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Er did we?!

6 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

I think you'll find we finished 12th... You finished 17th.

You were almost relegated mate  :facepalm:

What a knob end :disapointed2se:

My error. Duly acknowledged. 

I may be a knob end but at least I’m not a Welsh knob end. And for that I’ll be forever thankful. 

Archived