IGNORED

Bought this on Ebay

Was 16 years old , first time going to a London match.Went on the football special from Temple Meads with my Dad and two older brothers (Sadly all passed on  to a higher division ) and what seemed like  10,000  other City fans 

No segregation  so we stood on the famous shelf 2nd level up. See photo to get an idea of what a great place to watch a match . Held 20,000 fans very close to the pitch . Twice taken penalty still lingers in my mind which would surely have given us a replay at the gate . Greaves second goal ,put clean through 1 on 1 as we pressed for an equaliser was taken so calmly and efficiently by the master. One of my all time favourite players.

The noise was deafening, colour and atmosphere amazing., fans surging behind both goals and on the shelf and the photograph has brought it all back. Thanks Ciderhead abroad. 

The Shelf towers over the White Hart Lane pitch

13 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Was 16 years old , first time going to a London match.Went on the football special from Temple Meads with my Dad and two older brothers (Sadly all passed on  to a higher division ) and what seemed like  10,000  other City fans 

No segregation  so we stood on the famous shelf 2nd level up. See photo to get an idea of what a great place to watch a match . Held 20,000 fans very close to the pitch . Twice taken penalty still lingers in my mind which would surely have given us a replay at the gate . Greaves second goal ,put clean through 1 on 1 as we pressed for an equaliser was taken so calmly and efficiently by the master. One of my all time favourite players.

The noise was deafening, colour and atmosphere amazing., fans surging behind both goals and on the shelf and the photograph has brought it all back. Thanks Ciderhead abroad. 

The Shelf towers over the White Hart Lane pitch

4 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Edit - should have said  thanks to Esmond Million's Bung .not Ciderhead abroad . Apologies.

Your'e welcome, although the Greaves penalty was the 2nd goal, that was the final irony.

Pat Jennings was required to save a Bristol penalty in the second half. The penalty was retaken because Jennings moved too soon and the re-take was hit wide. To add insult to injury Greaves scored Spurs’ second goal from the penalty spot in the final minute.

Seeing these old pictures of proper football grounds stirs memories.

Compared to the plastic atmosphere of todays grounds - the roar, the human waves when we scored, the smell of cigars coming out the East End, the smell of hot dogs and bovril, the smell of piss in the bogs, the sound of football rattlers, noise, noise, noise.

Where has it all gone? Give me the old skool football grounds any day.

Great pictures of Mike Gibson!

Probably my first away game.

Certainly the first I remember.

Went with a school-mate (Mike Green) and remember being stood on tiptoe in the crowd......then it surged forward..... feet were off the ground and we just got carried forward, totally out of control.

Remember the penalty incidents well. Tony Ford had never missed.....till then!!!

Retake!!!.............Chris Crowe! (he blasts them apparently!)...............Did he f**k.....................Side footed it miles wide!!!

Then later Greavesie showed them both how to do it.

I lost touch with that school-mate, but incredibly bumped into him for the first time in fifty years at Bradford on our promotion night (he's lived in Manchester for years and apparently now only sees City when they are up north).

Woke up the following morning not sure whether it had all been a dream............

...........we won 6-0 away???...........we're promoted???................No it must have been a dream, Mike Green was in it and I haven't seen him for fifty years!!!!

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

This was the published teams in the programme, but i'm sure there were a few changes.

s-l1600-1.jpg

Proper old school Left half, inside left and outside left! :clap:

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yep 6 trains, they reckon we took about 12k there (all over the ground ) I was on the Shelf..........but we did take the Park Lane End !

I was there aged 12 in the Paxton Road end down the front , there were a lot of City fans by me ,my recollection was that it was about half and half in the Park Lane end to my knowledge the only teams  to have full control of the Park Lane were Millwall and Arsenal. 

29 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I was there aged 12 in the Paxton Road end down the front , there were a lot of City fans by me ,my recollection was that it was about half and half in the Park Lane end to my knowledge the only teams  to have full control of the Park Lane were Millwall and Arsenal. 

Well, depends what you count as "took" They were all in there and they didn't get moved !:cool:

My dad took 11 year old me to the match by supporters club coach. Having been stuck in horrendous traffic on the North Circular, we got into the ground about 10 minutes before HT. Dad somehow got us a space by a floodlight pylon from where I could see some, but not all of the pitch. I remember the goals and the missed penalties. Afterwards, he bought us sandwiches from a nearby cafe then purchased me a poster picture of the Spurs team before we got back onto the coach for the long trip home. I've still got the programme!

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My dad took 11 year old me to the match by supporters club coach. Having been stuck in horrendous traffic on the North Circular, we got into the ground about 10 minutes before HT. Dad somehow got us a space by a floodlight pylon from where I could see some, but not all of the pitch. I remember the goals and the missed penalties. Afterwards, he bought us sandwiches from a nearby cafe then purchased me a poster picture of the Spurs team before we got back onto the coach for the long trip home. I've still got the programme!

and me

15 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I remember on the station in London, city had hired the old blue Pullman that people could travel in what was the luxury of the day at a price.

The cockney train guard was walking along the platform saying "ok, stand back, this is yer actual Pullman not for the likes of you lot, this for the posh people".

I loved this old ad back in the day.I think there was one with Bowler hatted geezers.

Archived