IGNORED

I've just been googling Sean Dyche.....

Jack Dawe

11 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

To be fair he wasn’t much better anywhere else. Spent the majority of his career in the bottom two divisions.

Surprised he only played 20 games for us though. I thought it was much more than that.

Think Chesterfield fans might disagree.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think Chesterfield fans might disagree.

I’m sure they would as he played there for years and was part of their famous cup run. I’m sure he has club legend status there.

But that was all still in the bottom two divisions which was my point. That was his level as a player. 

58 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Talking about badges, interesting fact about the much-maligned Tony Pulis - he obtained his FA coaching badges at the age of 19 and he then got his UEFA ‘A’ Licence at the age of 21....one of the youngest people ever to gain that qualification...seems he decided at a very young age that he was going to be a football manager...

Probably a huge generalisation, but sometimes the "Limited footballer" but who has a "football intelligence", might see their longer term future in the game, (and better chance of scaling the heights to a higher level than their playing ability allows) in the domain of football management....and start that journey early.  Eddie Howe another.  Some embark due to injury, e.g. Roy Evans.

I don’t think many would argue that Lee made the best of his ability and playing regularly in the Champ was a peak, that was probably ‘above met" in terms of expectation once he became a pro.

Another generalisation but true in a lot of cases is that the top player struggles to hope in management because players can’t do what he did effortlessly.  Plenty of exception, Zidane ain’t done too bad, Dalglish, etc.  Hoddle I think was better suited to international management, e.g. mixing with the best England players, than club management.  I think it was McManaman who said he was often the best player (still) when they trained.  Hateley, when Hull Manager, just couldn’t get his head around the fact that they couldn’t trap a ball (probably a bit of an exaggeration), or handle the concept of blocking run-routines for throw-ins.  He thought every pro could understand that basic element.  In fact City don’t even do it.  I remember Tomlin being frustrated by exactly that, and shouting at players to block off, so he could get on the ball.

Watch this video of Hoddle with John Moncur, who many thought was a decent technician.

https://www.scoopnest.com/user/FootballCliches/809488290898386944

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

He had them doing exactly that in the first half of the season but for whatever reasons wasn't able to get consistent performances in the second half.

Everyone involved at City will be aware of it and LJ and all the coaches and analysis boys will dissecting why it happened.

Are you convinced after dissecting they will be able to resolve it? Genuine question 

26 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Are you convinced after dissecting they will be able to resolve it? Genuine question 

Well......one poster in particular on here identified why it may have happened and if he can come up with a theory I'm sure LJ and his backroom boys will come up either with the same theory or a combination of theories and how to rectify the issue.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Probably a huge generalisation, but sometimes the "Limited footballer" but who has a "football intelligence", might see their longer term future in the game, (and better chance of scaling the heights to a higher level than their playing ability allows) in the domain of football management....and start that journey early.  Eddie Howe another.  Some embark due to injury, e.g. Roy Evans.

I don’t think many would argue that Lee made the best of his ability and playing regularly in the Champ was a peak, that was probably ‘above met" in terms of expectation once he became a pro.

Another generalisation but true in a lot of cases is that the top player struggles to hope in management because players can’t do what he did effortlessly.  Plenty of exception, Zidane ain’t done too bad, Dalglish, etc.  Hoddle I think was better suited to international management, e.g. mixing with the best England players, than club management.  I think it was McManaman who said he was often the best player (still) when they trained.  Hateley, when Hull Manager, just couldn’t get his head around the fact that they couldn’t trap a ball (probably a bit of an exaggeration), or handle the concept of blocking run-routines for throw-ins.  He thought every pro could understand that basic element.  In fact City don’t even do it.  I remember Tomlin being frustrated by exactly that, and shouting at players to block off, so he could get on the ball.

Watch this video of Hoddle with John Moncur, who many thought was a decent technician.

https://www.scoopnest.com/user/FootballCliches/809488290898386944

A certain Brian Clough was an excellent example of this.

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Certainly. 5 years into what could be a 40 year career? About the same level of experience as I have in my job...no way, no way, do I know everything in my field right now.  I still make plenty of mistakes!

Retiring at 31/32 isn't ludicrously young for a pro is it?

As an aside, when Sean Dyche was 36 he had been retired for a year or so and was U18's coach at Watford.  So you could say that LJ at 36 has vastly more experience of management that SD did.

Maybe Dyche is a quicker learner.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The difference here was that “old big ed” thought he was the best centre forward in England too!!! :P

And at that time, late 1950s/early 1960s, he probably was.

If his playing career hadn't been curtailed by a serious knee injury, he may well have gone on to be thought of in the same light as Sir Bobby Charlton, though they had somewhat different personalities :whistle:.

Archived