IGNORED

Fined for pitch invasion...

BS4 on Tour...

Wigan have been fined £12,500 for their fans invading the pitch after they beat Man City in the FA Cup....must have missed our fine for the same after trouncing Man Utd...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43910122

I know our invasion was in a different cup run by a different organisation...but surely this is an inconsistent ruling?

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wigan have been fined £12,500 for their fans invading the pitch after they beat Man City in the FA Cup....must have missed our fine for the same after trouncing Man Utd...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43910122

I know our invasion was in a different cup run by a different organisation...but surely this is an inconsistent ruling?

I think the difference is the fact one of the fans got into an altercation with an opposition player. Ultimately nobody is allowed to invade the pitch in any competition but I think the authorities will turn a blind eye to it if everyone behaves and it is conducted in a friendly spirit. But, as soon as that does not happen, there is no option but to enforce the rules. Wigan fans forced the FA's hand here by not respecting the rules.

This is why the club made such a big deal about the fans who did head toward the Man Utd fans during the pitch invasion. Nobody wants mindless idiots ruining it for those who just want to celebrate. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the difference is the fact one of the fans got into an altercation with an opposition player. Ultimately nobody is allowed to invade the pitch in any competition but I think the authorities will turn a blind eye to it if everyone behaves and it is conducted in a friendly spirit. But, as soon as that does not happen, there is no option but to enforce the rules. Wigan fans forced the FA's hand here by not respecting the rules.

This is why the club made such a big deal about the fans who did head toward the Man Utd fans during the pitch invasion. Nobody wants mindless idiots ruining it for those who just want to celebrate. 

Spot on. Didn't notice our fans goading away support or players - just a moment of jubilation!

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Fair point - although Wigan were officially fined for “failing to ensure that no spectators or unauthorised persons encroached onto the pitch” - but as you say, theirs got a bit more lairy than ours, so the real reason for the fine is hidden behind the official ruling. Having said that, a pitch invasion is a pitch invasion....it’s either within the rules or outside of them...not much grey area...

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

But by us invading the pitch itv then led to an altercation with Utd supporters so what’s the difference?

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Surely those running at the away end should be fined, can't really blame the club.

All clubs are responsible for the fans within their stadium which precisely why City make announcements about not invading the pitch.

1 hour ago, Super said:

There were quite a few that ran straight for the away fans.

And that's one of the reasons that clubs make announcements about not invading the pitch.

Once a pitch invasion occurs anything unsavoury can and frequently does happen, as at Wigan and most of us can remember the shocking pitch invasion against the Gas 20 odd years ago.

Every club has an element of idiotic fans who thinks is cool and clever to invade the pitch.............:facepalm:

6 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

If that was the case then yes, we should be fined.

Its like being fined for your cat crapping on next door's lawn. Or Tesco being fined for a customer misbehaving in store. 

How can the club be held directly responsible for the actions of fans who have already been told not to enter the field? 

Just a mechanism to pay for the expenses of FA staff. 

3 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Think it was more than an element as the pitch was covered in City fans. Apparently the players loved it and there didn’t appear be any trouble. But your right, fans shouldn’t run onto the pitch.

Apart from Flint, told one fan to **** off. Can see his point in a way, wanting to enjoy the moment with his team mates etc but once in a lifetime experience for most of our supporters, can’t see that being topped in my lifetime.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

And that's one of the reasons that clubs make announcements about not invading the pitch.

Once a pitch invasion occurs anything unsavoury can and frequently does happen, as at Wigan and most of us can remember the shocking pitch invasion against the Gas 20 odd years ago.

Every club has an element of idiotic fans who thinks is cool and clever to invade the pitch.............:facepalm:

Quite right, the rules are indeed that.  However, personally provided it's celebratory in nature I don't have a problem with it really.

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Its like being fined for your cat crapping on next door's lawn. Or Tesco being fined for a customer misbehaving in store. 

How can the club be held directly responsible for the actions of fans who have already been told not to enter the field? 

Just a mechanism to pay for the expenses of FA staff. 

Unsure. Clubs often get charged when there's trouble let's say with 'Failure to control their fans' or words to that effect. It's definitely all there in the regulations etc.

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

If there’s trouble any club will be fined and rightly so, just celebrating they won’t have a problem with it.

I understand your point, but if you entered the pitch and struck a player at the next home game, would you think it OK for BCFC to cough up to cover your antics? 

Agree entirely, club shouldn’t pay anyone’s fine who’s intent is to cause trouble on the pitch.

What the FA look into when deciding on these things is, did the club do enough to prevent a pitch invasion, tannoy announcement, stewards prevention etc.

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Apart from Flint, told one fan to **** off. Can see his point in a way, wanting to enjoy the moment with his team mates etc but once in a lifetime experience for most of our supporters, can’t see that being topped in my lifetime.

That’s the spirit, a one off win against Man U.  If we expect that to be the best thing to happen in a life of supporting City then we may as well shut up shop now.

Archived