IGNORED

Match Report: An epic battle of two attacking sides

Olé

I lied.

This was every bit the end of season dead rubber, characterised by two average teams who each did just enough to look like they wanted to win the game, without ever doing anything close to enough to actually win the game. It wasn't half hearted, but it was that standard aimless pre-summer kickabout.

City barely turned up in the first half and it was only wayward Forest finishing - both at close range and Tomlin getting on the ball and testing Fielding from range - that looked likely to decide the game, but after half time City were actually far better going forward, until Johnson hauled off Diedhiou, who had been involved in most of our things of note.

Which left us with the awkward conclusion - what was this game? If it was not a serious game worth winning, evidenced by taking off Famara and certainly us not going for it, why was it not then an experimental squad game, also evidenced by Eliasson getting nowhere near the pitch. Not for the first time, Lee Johnson's intentions were lost on everyone. 

It was one way traffic for the first quarter of the game, Forest getting in behind our midfield and Tomlin in particular wasting no invitation to twice drive dipping shots in on goal that Fielding had to be secure to hold. In between Baker crumpled outside the box as Forest ran at him - reminiscent of attacks at Barnsley and Millwall - but this time not getting up and stretched off for O'Dowda.

Forest would fire over several more times - most criminally their player meeting a cross in front of goal just yards out - but after 25 minutes City would contrive 2 rare chances. Walsh, who looked classy on the ball (less so without the ball), collected Diedhiou's cut back at the edge of the box, found no other option but slipping Famara in again to the left of goal, and his low inviting ball across the face of goal was nearly turned home by Reid. Minutes later Pack would flash a shot just past the post from outside the box. This was as good as it would get in the first half.

By half time a largely non event for City was  remarkable only for the parity of the scores, despite Forest peppering City's goal from all around the box. It was refreshing therefore that after half time City came out with a little more purpose attacking their own fans - but not before Tomlin, and others, again made light work of City's midfielders, to keep firing at the overworked Fielding from between the lines. City were still clearly second best.

But our best chance of the game arrived just inside the hour as our increasing purpose on the break sprang O'Dowda in on goal and his  attempt at a backheel for the overlapping Diedhiou was misplaced direct to the Forest defender, but not to be deterred, O'Dowda ran the player into his own corner, forced the mistake from which Diedhiou collected the ball on the left and swung it deep to the on-running Bobby Reid on the other side, who slammed his rising shot just over the bar.

In truth despite some smart touches from Walsh with the ball, without it City were far too easy for Forest and Johnson addressed this by switching Walsh for Pisano so that Korey Smith could return to central midfield. Unfortunately Pisano has been a bombscare for weeks now and with his first action he'd be yards off his man from a square through ball, forcing Fielding to race out and chop down Osborn for the penalty. Frankie would at least make amends by saving smartly from Tomlin's scripted spot kick opportunity.

Within minutes it was City who could have stolen into the lead. Reid forced an error and set the busy Famara clear on goal, in front of away fans he rounded the keeper and fired in from the most acute angle. The away fans erupted but Jeremy Simpson the referee - Jeremy I guess an alias for Homer such was his fussiness - whistled it back for a much earlier infringement (if it was offside it was a bloody late call). Parity at least protected.

The final quarter of the match was actually more even with both sides having chances, albeit it started with Brownhill on for a clearly unhappy Famara who exchanged words with Johnson and reluctantly took a place on the bench, rightly so having been so central to anything of use we did going forward, and in a match we could and should've risked more  for the win - what else were we hoping for? 

But in any case a bias to small busy players for the remainder of the game at least saw us share the remaining possession, albeit Paterson reminding us how frustrating he can be to City's football, crossing weakly in space with Flint well placed, and twice giving possession away around the box in the midst of well worked attacks. But we had chances, Flint nodded down from Smith's cross, just past the post, Smith fired a rising shot over the bar from outside the box with no options ahead of him, and just before the end space would open up 25 yards out for Brownhill to repeat his Hull heroics but this time his shot was miscued.

In truth Forest had far far more chances and looked marginally more interested in winning a nothing match, with Tomlin at the heart of most they tried, though as we will remember,  quality and energy ultimately in short supply. For City a quiet end to the season still full of inexplicable team selections and changes - if not Eliasson now then when? - and again we finished the match with Flint up front, an odd testament to the wider squad of players  Johnson has built up over the past 2 years.

Two ways to look at today's game - terrified at what City will look like once the stand out players like Reid (who was again imperious on the ball when he got the chance) have gone, tempered by the hope that the cameo from Walsh and the obvious class of Kelly at both full back and then centre back. City as always are full of idiosyncrasies - plenty of promise and reason to be cheerful, but also evidence ad always that LJs intervention is not always helping this team win games.

Fielding 8 Says a lot about this season that his kicking can be a disaster and he's still among our best players. Bombarded.
Smith 6 Didn't really get into the game with the ball until he moved up into central midfield - where we missed his energy
Kelly 7 Impressive in both positions that he was asked to play - you can see the class
Flint 7 As always the only one who fights for everything at both ends of the pitch
Baker 5 Injured too early to be involved
Pack 7 As recently our only true midfielder
Walsh 6 Some lovely touches with the ball, can see what we've scouted, I just worry at the moment that he also has those traits without the ball of being rabbit in headlights
Bryan 6 Nothing spectacular and not enough to justify his time further forward
Paterson 5 Largely wasteful and for my money rarely got in the game
Reid 7 Always looked class and worked hard with very little service and little ambition
Diedhiou 6 Plenty of endeavour in all our best moves, very unlucky to go off

O'Dowda 6 Lots of purpose but not always the right decision with the ball
Pisano 4 Badly positioned for the penalty and added nothing else besides
Brownhill 5 Didn't really get in the game when he got on

As you say @Olé hard to know exactly what he is trying to do.

Although I remain to be convinced by Walsh, picking him & Kelly today are obvious attempts to plan for next season, but not using Eliasson at the very least as a sub, is not.

My guess is although Reid & Bryan will play for us once more, we’ve seen the last of Steele in a city shirt, but the spat with Diedhiou is worrying, as I’d be amazed if Reid is still here in August.

Also ending the game with Flint up front and Djuric (who scored our last goal away from home) as an unused sub defies logic.

Thanks Ole. Yep what I saw. 

Diedhiou only six. Completely unfair. As you say had been involved in everything we did of note and in my book our best outfield player today......Then Johnson takes him off!

:grr::grr::grr::grr:

Half wit decision from a coaching team are either completely unable to see what's in front of them or more just more nonsense! 

Good report as usual.

My thoughts for what they are worth, for some reason our build up play is so ponderously slow at the moment, there is little wonder that most of our possession is either with the ball going sideways or back. Things improved a little when Fam went off in terms of tempo which allowed some of the quicker passing and movement that we saw at the start of the season. 

Fielding - 7 Had lots to do, a bit rash for the penalty, easy save.

Baker - 5 started off ok, took a proper whack

Flint - 6 battled throughout, solid as usual, does not seem to be the threat he was from set pieces now

Smith - 6 wasted a full back and sometimes a liability with positioning. Much better when put into midfield

Kelly - 8 the kid is class, he always has time which is definitely the sign of a good player. Think I prefer him at LB but seems very versatile. My choice over Bryan every time.

Bryan - 5 ok going forward, a liability at full back. Did make some good runs down the left flank in the 2nd half but ignored by players preferring to bring the ball into midfield. Set pieces largely a waste of time

Pack - 7 Always available, kept the ball moving. Sometimes too slow to release the ball.

Paterson - 4 lots of nice touches, but no end product and forget asking him to track back and tackle

Walsh - 6 seems to have great vision and does not mind a tackle. I think he’d be more effective as a no. 10

Fam - 7 battled throughout. His first touch and control were good today. Does need players close to him to be more effective.

Reid - 7 did not stop trying, personally I think he needs the ball being played to him quicker

O Dowda - 5 too much cutting in and passing backwards. 

Brownhill - 5 would prefer to see him starting in a midfield 3. Had a go, but couldn’t really add anything to the game

Pisano - 3 there’s me thinking Italians could defend. Shame Wright was injured.

Johnson - 3 Obviously injuries affected the game plan early doors. Still can’t see why Elliason is not getting a game, he can’t be any less effective than Paterson. Taking off Fam was puzzling. Plan B other than sticking Flint up front does not exist. 

Another game where we nicked a point. Should have been out of it by half time.

Pato was poor today - our right side was under so much threat in the 1st half due to his 'lack of interest to battle back and tackle' - not good enough at this level, can be great at times in an attacking sense, but no defensive midfield quality - shame as he can offer so much but only 30% of the time!

Just back from the game too, looked like we're hanging on to mid table by the skin of our teeth. 

Ok, it's disappointing we didn't make playoffs but I would definitely take this position at the start of the season. Call me a happy clapper if ya like but this season has been amazing.  

Perhaps it's best Pato doesn't track back; the one time he tried it, last 10 minutes, he presented them with one of their best chances of the game!

Pisano's 3 was for last week? Not that bad today, and his score both games has to be mindful of playing with Pato in front of him. 

Otherwise agree as usual!! Kelly was superb, he's been the real highlight of the past 3 months, looks hugely impressive and moved comfortably into the middle today. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Just back from the game too, looked like we're hanging on to mid table by the skin of our teeth. 

Ok, it's disappointing we didn't make playoffs but I would definitely take this position at the start of the season. Call me a happy clapper if ya like but this season has been amazing.  

AMAZING?!

2nd at Christmas was amazing. Reaching the semi finals of the league cup was amazing. Beating Man Utd with a 93rd minute winner was amazing.

But I don’t see how anyone can call the whole season as amazing when you’ve ended up 10th in the league, not won an away game since the end of the Second World War (or thereabouts), and meekly surrendered a wonderful opportunity to actually achieve something.

Overall it’s passable, half decent maybe, a fraction ahead of where we might have expected to finish - but the decline has been inexcusable, the January recruitment woeful, and we have comprehensively failed to capitalise on all that momentum and confidence built up over the winter. Not my idea of amazing.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

AMAZING?!

2nd at Christmas was amazing. Reaching the semi finals of the league cup was amazing. Beating Man Utd with a 93rd minute winner was amazing.

But I don’t see how anyone can call the whole season as amazing when you’ve ended up 10th in the league, not won an away game since the end of the Second World War (or thereabouts), and meekly surrendered a wonderful opportunity to actually achieve something.

Overall it’s passable, half decent maybe, a fraction ahead of where we might have expected to finish - but the decline has been inexcusable, the January recruitment woeful, and we have comprehensively failed to capitalise on all that momentum and confidence built up over the winter. Not my idea of amazing.

nor mine.

Just stopped by to say sorry your team didn't make the top six / came so close to a play-off opportunity.     Seriously you should proud of the players, must have exceeded a lot of pre-season expectations and not only that, a run in the League Cup that garnered a lot of attention.

Would have liked to have seen City in the play-offs and add something to an already commendable season but don't feel too hard on yourselves.    Made something that was able to last a while and produced something over time that a number of other Championship teams can only admire or envy.      

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

This season has been amazing.

Other amazing things include my current position hunched over the toilet retching and the thought of a children’s party at 10am. Amazing.  

Clean sheet, nice. FF saved a pen and was good in goal, as Ole says, one of our best players. Paterson have not been good for a long while, really cant understand why not Eliasson is starting. Taking Famara of?  Looked like Forest was better and we were happy to take a point. Pack, one of ours most important players. Kelly is getting better and better. It must be frustrating for Eliasson not be allowed to play. Last game vs SU home, he will start?

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The same Fielding who got us another point yesterday? 

You are joking right? The Same fielding who tried to lose us the game for the second week running. Another rash descion.

Look at Marlon pack his reaction says it all. Just shrugs his shoulder and says ' why'.

FF is a complete liability.

8 minutes ago, Spoons said:

You are joking right? The Same fielding who tried to lose us the game for the second week running. Another rash descion.

Look at Marlon pack his reaction says it all. Just shrugs his shoulder and says ' why'.

FF is a complete liability.

No, not joking, he's saved us on multiple occasions this season, such as yesterday, not just the penalty save but the other 5 saves he made as well.

Yes he does have his rash moments but he also has his moments of brilliance. There must be a reason that we've signed 5 keepers to try and replace him but none have... 

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Also ending the game with Flint up front and Djuric (who scored our last goal away from home) as an unused sub defies logic.

I was at the game yesterday and totally agree with this. Flint is not a striker. He is a goal scoring center half.

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

There must be a reason that we've signed 5 keepers to try and replace him but none have... 

I think that says more about the standard of the keepers that we've signed than FF's right to wear the no.1 shirt. Did we pay a fee for any of them?

Heaton was the last keeper who was really worthy of football at higher than mid-table Championship.

Frankie has been an excellent character and made some memorable saves over the years but every player knows they will be replaced in the end. I think we're at that point now.

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

AMAZING?!

Based on the definition of amazing - “ causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing” -  I would describe the season as amazing. I was surprised at City’s position at Christmas and astonished by the cup run. Post Christmas I was surprised by the January signings, left wondering at the loss of form and astonished by LJ’s strange team selections and substitutions. Overall,  an amazing season, but not necessarily for the right reasons 

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Other amazing things include my current position hunched over the toilet retching and  at the thought of a children’s party at 10am. Amazing.  

seems to make sense now ;)

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Other amazing things include my current position hunched over the toilet retching and the thought of a children’s party at 10am. Amazing.  

To paraphrase Bill Bailey; "and yet somehow still typing"?

Archived