IGNORED

City Tour to Marbella (Merged)

Redshorts

16 hours ago, Olé said:

I was thinking exactly this as I caught up with City news today (as well as the Instagram feed chock full of players at various holiday resorts).

Presumably everyone has at least concluded that our biggest "need" is to learn fortitude and survival -  the ingredients that breed leadership.

I know it's primarily for fitness, but what part of a luxury resort in Marbella will provide the environment for learning about handling adversity?

I can't even see how it will be sufficiently different from the weather and comfort the players are currently associating with being on holiday.

Besides fitness, the going-to-a-luxury-resort-to-work-on-patterns-of-play was used in February (Dubai) and had **** all effect on most of them.

They need taking out of their comfort zone and if LJ is so innovative, he'd want something more than training ground exercises to achieve it.

(I'm not having a moan here, training camp is necessary - but if LJ is serious about leadership, something more challenging was needed too).

I agree with you totally, but players expect luxury and standards even when they are working. At Brentford last season I overheard two staff members chatting outside the ground about the hotel the players had stayed in the night before ‘Absolutely fantastic, never seen anything like that before’ were the quotes. They indicated they always stay in nice hotels but this one was particularly special. (They did name it, but I can’t remember, something with the name ‘Gardens’ perhaps). 

I have also been told that Agents will look at the facilities etc a club can offer his client, they do ask about training facilities, hotels for away games and yes pre-season venues the club have used before and are looking at. So if we said we were doing Margate rather than Marbella I expect a few would be unhappy. 

But as you say, does the luxury do them any good. Is it expected and taken for granted, everything is done for them and they are pampered to the max. But I think we have made a rod for our own backs unfortunately, treat them well and they underperform but if we were to take their hotel standard down a notch they would possibly underperform out of protest too, and instruct their Agents as they aren’t happy.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Such a shame. One of my favourite players to watch in recent years. When he’s on top form he’s tremendous and can almost be unplayable.

Agreed, loved him whilst he was here, the main reason you just didn't know what to expect from him, then bang.... does something straight from the top drawer.

On 25/05/2018 at 14:55, Olé said:

I was thinking exactly this as I caught up with City news today (as well as the Instagram feed chock full of players at various holiday resorts).

Presumably everyone has at least concluded that our biggest "need" is to learn fortitude and survival -  the ingredients that breed leadership.

I know it's primarily for fitness, but what part of a luxury resort in Marbella will provide the environment for learning about handling adversity?

I can't even see how it will be sufficiently different from the weather and comfort the players are currently associating with being on holiday.

Besides fitness, the going-to-a-luxury-resort-to-work-on-patterns-of-play was used in February (Dubai) and had **** all effect on most of them.

They need taking out of their comfort zone and if LJ is so innovative, he'd want something more than training ground exercises to achieve it.

(I'm not having a moan here, training camp is necessary - but if LJ is serious about leadership, something more challenging was needed too).

I completely agree mate. 

This time last year, me and a group of City mates spent a week in the slums of Nairobi in Kenya. We did various volunteering duties at schools, orphanages & street projects, as well as playing football against school teams and even vs Kenya’s 4th best ladies team. 

The experience was amazing, but also hugely bonding for us as a group (we were all close mates prior to going but felt even closer after the experiences). It’s humbling, whilst also hugely rewarding. 

We met some great people and also saw some very technically excellent footballers (kids who were 11-15 years old with amazing natural ability and superb movement and football ‘brains’). 

A trip there for a week would not only be an amazing thing for the locals, but would be a huge bonding experience for the team. Plus, the potential to spot kids with huge potential that will never have the opportunity to be realised in the areas they live (no Kenyan teams scout in the slums, only in the private schools, and only Barcelona have an annual tournament inviting a couple of teams from the slums to play).

If you want to spot the next great African footballer before having to pay a French or Belgian team £20m for the privilege, these are the places you need to go, build networks and relationships and help a fantastic bunch of people. 

Next years tour : 5 days in Waithaka, Nairobi. Plus 2 days safari in Masai Mara. I guarantee the team will be closer to each other when they return. 

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

We got promoted , our best season in  decades. So what are you on about ? He got kicked. Overall, it worked. So "yeah" lets talk to Osbourne. So ?

People only get injured when playing in Africa!! Haven’t you heard that one?

Archived