IGNORED

City Tour to Marbella (Merged)

Redshorts

It's £7k plus VAT = £8400 BUT, that's for 4 people [geared towards golfers] so just over £2k per head which whilst expensive includes food, accommodation, player access and a golf tournament. This is only what I've been told by someone I know who I thought might have been on the invite list but doesn't play golf but, knowing him,  might just go to do some brown nosing!!!

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

It's £7k plus VAT = £8400 BUT, that's for 4 people [geared towards golfers] so just over £2k per head which whilst expensive includes food, accommodation, player access and a golf tournament. This is only what I've been told by someone I know who I thought might have been on the invite list but doesn't play golf but, knowing him,  might just go to do some brown nosing!!!

That makes me chuckle.

Without the "player access" 4 people staying in a 5 star hotel for 3 nights, with a round of golf and a bit of fine dining could do that for around a grand each or less.

Interesting - Warnock on TSport this morning

Brazil asked him about his pre season plans and whether they were going abroad

No

Premiership bound Cardiff are going to Cornwall

Warno k explained he doesn’t like going whereits too hot or humid as it effects the levels they can train at, which seems sensible

and

Because the Cardiff fans can get their tents and caravans out !! and at low cost and easy access can come down (as they did last season ) and make a trip / break of it and get lots of chances to interact with players at training and at some local games they have a run out in 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No

Warno k explained he doesn’t like going whereits too hot or humid as it effects the levels they can train at, which seems sensible

and

Because the Cardiff fans can get their tents and caravans out !! and at low cost and easy access can come down (as they did last season ) and make a trip / break of it and get lots of chances to interact with players at training and at some local games they have a run out in 

Poles (and now a division) apart!

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No

and

55 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Poles (and now a division) apart!

Hang on a second, is this the same Cardiff Malaysia Reds, who we love to say sold their soul for the premier league, now a beacon of fans/club relations?

This is a Warnock thing, not Cardiff BTW. Something he has done with Sheffield United, Palace, QPR and Leeds. He has a house down there and quote: "I think I do a great job for the Cornish tourist board every year. Hundreds of Sheffield United fans must have been staying in the county."

Either way, warm weather training works, it's universally done and across many sports. You train in the cooler, but consistently warm mornings, and reap the benefits of the stretching, relaxing and recovering, golfing and sleeping for the rest of the day in a comfortable environment. You come back refreshed, having broken up the UK routine, and more likely to be mentally re-charged for the new season.

I doubt you'll find many players who would prefer to train in wind and rain than in the sun? And the fact is anyone who has been on holiday to Cornwall knows you can easily have a week of wind and rain in the summer.

Miserable for the players training, miserable for the fans stood in the open watching it. But I guess Cardiff may as well let their pre-season reflect what will likely be a miserable season.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Hang on a second, is this the same Cardiff Malaysia Reds, who we love to say sold their soul for the premier league, now a beacon of fans/club relations?

This is a Warnock thing, not Cardiff BTW. Something he has done with Sheffield United, Palace, QPR and Leeds. He has a house down there.

Either way, warm weather training works, it's universally done and across many sports. You train in the cooler, but consistently warm mornings, and reap the benefits of the stretching, relaxing and recovering, golfing and sleeping for the rest of the day in a comfortable environment. You come back refreshed, having broken up the UK routine, and more likely to be mentally re-charged for the new season.

I doubt you'll find many players who would prefer to train in wind and rain than in the sun? And the fact is anyone who has been on holiday to Cornwall knows you can easily have a week of wind and rain in the summer.

Miserable for the players training, miserable for the fans stood in the open watching it. But I guess Cardiff may as well let their pre-season reflect what will likely be a miserable season.

All those away days at Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge new Spurs ground etc. And millions and millions in their back pocket for further development whatever happens. Terrible indeed. 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

All those away days at Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge new Spurs ground etc. And millions and millions in their back pocket for further development whatever happens. Terrible indeed. 

Well as I read the other day on here, it depends what you want from your football club isn't?

If you're happy to be beaten week in week out, (spending £1000's) going to these nice grounds, take the TV money and improve the bottom-line....all good!

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well as I read the other day on here, it depends what you want from your football club isn't?

If you're happy to be beaten week in week out, (spending £1000's) going to these nice grounds, take the TV money and improve the bottom-line....all good!

Personally I'd like the opportunity at least once in my lifetime to go to these places. They've had the opportunity twice in the space of a couple of years. Similar size club, stadium and fan base but have made some key decisions that have allowed them to be where they are.  As much as I dislike them you have to say they must be doing something right! 

No

and

And Warnock lives where?

Would that be Cornwall by any chance...

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Personally I'd like the opportunity at least once in my lifetime to go to these places. They've had the opportunity twice in the space of a couple of years. Similar size club, stadium and fan base but have made some key decisions that have allowed them to be where they are.  As much as I dislike them you have to say they must be doing something right! 

I do agree with you mate - absolutely I’d love to see City in the premier league. 

But for all the success, I’m not sure I’d want what Cardiff went through to get it - change of kit for example and throwing loads of Malaysian cash at it.

But more importantly sat on debts of over £100m - meaning they may be OK for another season, but desperately need to address the debt in the long term. Maybe a sensible season in the premier league will do wonders, we’ll see.

Anyway, we were talking about pre-season! 

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I do agree with you mate - absolutely I’d love to see City in the premier league. 

But for all the success, I’m not sure I’d want what Cardiff went through to get it - change of kit for example and throwing loads of Malaysian cash at it.

But more importantly sat on debts of over £100m - meaning they may be OK for another season, but desperately need to address the debt in the long term. Maybe a sensible season in the premier league will do wonders, we’ll see.

Indeed! Africa (forgotten the actual country) seems to have been our most successful destination in the last few years iirc. Wonder why we've never been back there again.  

27 minutes ago, lenred said:

Indeed! Africa (forgotten the actual country) seems to have been our most successful destination in the last few years iirc. Wonder why we've never been back there again.  

I heard somewhere that either the players or management at the time did not enjoy that trip at all. The management thought it was an unnecessary risk, and this concern was justified by Karleigh Osbourne's injury.

It was partly for SL's business interests out there and the idea was mainly pushed by him.

Might have been good for team spirit though, even if the players didn't realise it at the time.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Interesting that Warnock also heavily praised Tan saying he had no interference in anything and also was under no pressure to go out to Malaysia to play etc

I know that doesn’t fit somes stance 

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

And Warnock lives where?

Would that be Cornwall by any chance...

Deflection from you to avoid or excuse  the issue

How unusual

I’m sure Warnock decision was based purely on convenience to home

Did them ok last season didn’t it .....

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting that Warnock also heavily praised Tan saying he had no interference in anything and also was under no pressure to go out to Malaysia to play etc

I know that doesn’t fit somes stance 

Just as, I suppose, some are now holding Cardiff up as a suggestion of how we’re doing it all wrong at City - but it seems it could be anything, so long as it fits in with their stance. 

And come on mate, you of all people would say you shouldn’t treat the offical lines coming out of a club as gospel! 

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No

and

I heard that whilst driving this morning, i'm no real fan of Colin but admire his ability to get teams promoted, he's obviously got something about him.

I thought he spoke well, particuarly interesting when asked about being favourites for relegation, stating that it would be no shame to getting relegated in first season, if you use the money wisely to bounce back. Held up Burnley as example, not panicking and keeping Sean Dyche, allowing him to rebuild, oversee some of the infrastructure improvements (training ground etc) and now they're established PL team.

15 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Just as, I suppose, some are now holding Cardiff up as a suggestion of how we’re doing it all wrong at City - but it seems it could be anything, so long as it fits in with their stance. 

And come on mate, you of all people would say you shouldn’t treat the offical lines coming out of a club as gospel! 

Warnock doesn’t in my experience tow any party line

Tan has clearly learnt some lessons in his tenure

And Warnock simplifies everything , and is extremely successful 

Not suggesting that we should operate like Cardiff

Warnock was extremely complimentary about the Stadium using words like superb , which was nice to hear

Interestingly despite attempts to poke by Brazil he completely avoided talking about us as a side

But like it or lump it they are far more successful than we are right now and some need to get over the jealousy and grasp the above two things 

The superior belief amongst some , even with some sort of bizarre snigger in some cases , that we are doing it the ‘right way’ is quite bizarre 

If they act sensibly in the Division of riches any debt they have will soon dissapear

Btw    What’s our total ‘debt’  (albeit ours is to SL ) ? Anyone got an accurate total .A lot more than £100 million I’d suggest

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I heard somewhere that either the players or management at the time did not enjoy that trip at all. The management thought it was an unnecessary risk, and this concern was justified by Karleigh Osbourne's injury.

It was partly for SL's business interests out there and the idea was mainly pushed by him.

Might have been good for team spirit though, even if the players didn't realise it at the time.

Thanks PF. Your last points a good one as well - sometimes a bit of adversity or hardship (in comparison with 6* luxury of Marbella at least) does a team a world of good. Certainly stood us in good stead that year.  

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Thanks PF. Your last points a good one as well - sometimes a bit of adversity or hardship (in comparison with 6* luxury of Marbella at least) does a team a world of good. Certainly stood us in good stead that year.  

Yeah exactly, obviously players would rather be in Portugal or Spain but that sort of thing might’ve been great for the spirit in the camp.

Actually come to think of it, i’m pretty sure JET said live on Radio Bristol or to BCFC.co.uk that he hated that trip!

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah exactly, obviously players would rather be in Portugal or Spain but that sort of thing might’ve been great for the spirit in the camp.

Actually come to think of it, i’m pretty sure JET said live on Radio Bristol or to BCFC.co.uk that he hated that trip!

And then he played a blinder that season. Following year after a preseason in ‘Marbs’ or wherever it was and he dropped off of the cliff. Case closed :)

Deflection from you to avoid or excuse  the issue

How unusual

I’m sure Warnock decision was based purely on convenience to home

Did them ok last season didn’t it .....

I'm not deflecting the issue or excusing it.

Not being a Cardiff fan or a fan of the style of football Warnock sides tend to play, I don't care where they have their pre season.

Just pointing out that Warnock lives in Cornwall.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Prob as simple as saying they have a good manager and we don't.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Warnock doesn’t in my experience tow any party line

Tan has clearly learnt some lessons in his tenure

And Warnock simplifies everything , and is extremely successful 

Not suggesting that we should operate like Cardiff

Warnock was extremely complimentary about the Stadium using words like superb , which was nice to hear

Interestingly despite attempts to poke by Brazil he completely avoided talking about us as a side

But like it or lump it they are far more successful than we are right now and some need to get over the jealousy and grasp the above two things 

The superior belief amongst some , even with some sort of bizarre snigger in some cases , that we are doing it the ‘right way’ is quite bizarre 

If they act sensibly in the Division of riches any debt they have will soon dissapear

Btw    What’s our total ‘debt’  (albeit ours is to SL ) ? Anyone got an accurate total .A lot more than £100 million I’d suggest

This post is confusing me a fair bit because a lot of it’s content has little to do with what I’ve been posting. I’m not sure if you’re aiming some of the comments at me, or at other people?

Eitherway, I have no problem with Warnock or Cardiff, far from it, if you actually knew me, you’d know why. No jealousy from me. What they’ve done this season is remarkable and largely down to Warnock. 

But I'm sorry, if we are going to stick it to our club at every opportunity for it’s corporate anti-fan behaviour (which is what this thread is actually doing) - I think it’s extremely, laughably hypocritical to compare us to Cardiff (which is what you did) where their owner changed the colour of their kit amongst other things (god only knows what you’d say if SL did that to us) and chucked money at getting up the first time, so much so that the club are over £100m in debt and relying on, gambling on Warnock to get the club back up and potentially save it from serious financial issues this year, given their parachute payments stopped this summer (and yet they still had over £100m in debt...interesting that)

It worked for them this time, but it very nearly could not have. Cue Derby, let’s see what happens to them next season.

EDIT - oh and about £30m when last published. 

It wasn’t aimed at you oersonally @Alessandro

I thought Warnocks obvious enthusiasm about the fans was good to hear 

(In fairness to LJ he always appears to have plenty of time for fans himself so it’s not a dig at LJ at all)

I can’t stand Cardiff but I still think the sneers across the bridge are ill judged 

On 24/05/2018 at 14:01, lenred said:

sometimes a bit of adversity or hardship (in comparison with 6* luxury of Marbella at least) does a team a world of good

I was thinking exactly this as I caught up with City news today (as well as the Instagram feed chock full of players at various holiday resorts).

Presumably everyone has at least concluded that our biggest "need" is to learn fortitude and survival -  the ingredients that breed leadership.

I know it's primarily for fitness, but what part of a luxury resort in Marbella will provide the environment for learning about handling adversity?

I can't even see how it will be sufficiently different from the weather and comfort the players are currently associating with being on holiday.

Besides fitness, the going-to-a-luxury-resort-to-work-on-patterns-of-play was used in February (Dubai) and had **** all effect on most of them.

They need taking out of their comfort zone and if LJ is so innovative, he'd want something more than training ground exercises to achieve it.

(I'm not having a moan here, training camp is necessary - but if LJ is serious about leadership, something more challenging was needed too).

On 24/05/2018 at 14:15, lenred said:

And then he played a blinder that season. Following year after a preseason in ‘Marbs’ or wherever it was and he dropped off of the cliff. Case closed :)

He didn’t particularly play a blinder that season. The season before hand he was unplayable. 

Archived