IGNORED

steven gerrard.

pillred

23 minutes ago, yardy said:

Would love Stevie to do well and get the better of Celtic in a couple of seasons.

Good luck 

Stevie G won't get two years, he has to deliver next season. Anyone who thinks that is not true doesn't know Scottish football. Second place is not acceptable to Rangers or their supporters. The fans that have given him a hero welcome today will quickly turn on him if the Gers are trailing Celtic next season. He needs serious money because at present Rangers may finish fourth behind Aberdeen and Hibs and are miles off seriously challenging Celtic.

1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

Stevie G won't get two years, he has to deliver next season. Anyone who thinks that is not true doesn't know Scottish football. Second place is not acceptable to Rangers or their supporters. The fans that have given him a hero welcome today will quickly turn on him if the Gers are trailing Celtic next season. He needs serious money because at present Rangers may finish fourth behind Aberdeen and Hibs and are miles off seriously challenging Celtic.

Have faith in Stevie the guy is a legend ;)

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Craig Bellamy was saying this the other night on the debate

He said they should be asking him to put the boots on

Geoff Shreeves  laughed,  and Bellamy said ‘

’No I’m serious , I saw him play the other day , he could still play I promise you, and he’d be their best player’

The player manager seems to a lost art these days at league level. Struggling to remember the last one.. could it even be Tins?

7 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I don't think that is necessarily true. Most Rangers fans I know would accept second place for another couple of years yet, what they won't accept is the utter capitulations they have witnessed this season. I have seen Rangers come close twice in the past couple of seasons with well deserved draws at Celtic Park. However, just when they seem to be getting their act together they start to believe their own hype and forget about actually turning up on the pitch. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

The player manager seems to a lost art these days at league level. Struggling to remember the last one.. could it even be Tins?

Your mention of player managers reminded me what a class act Hoddle was in that Swindon side - if ever a player ran a team , and took them to a different level with his class.....Hoddle

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Really cant see him doing well there. Fair play to him though, shows some drive to be up for that challenge. If it was me id sit on the millions and millions he no doubt has in the bank and suck as much as i can out of BT and Sky, whilst keeping all my hair and dignity in the process, but thats just me!...

Not well as in not challenging Celtic? Clearly. Or not well as in struggling to keep up with Aberdeen or Dundee or Motherwell? 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Your mention of player managers reminded me what a class act Hoddle was in that Swindon side - if ever a player ran a team , and took them to a different level with his class.....Hoddle

....and Kenny Dalglish - won the League and FA Cup in his first season as Liverpool’s player-manager...awesome player...him and Hoddle are two of the best I’ve ever seen play at Ashton Gate...

I may be looking with more hope than judgement , but I think there must be something in the manager being sacked then 2 board members leaving and then Gerrard joining. Heard that a lot of investors were put of by some of the board, maybe new money coming in? As it stands the club are in debt and I can't see Gerrard taking a job where he's struggling day to day financially .

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Good luck with that :)

Scott Brown is all mouth, comes up against someone who’s up for the fight and he’s gone into hiding. Likes to think he’s something special, if he was he wouldn’t be playing in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....and Kenny Dalglish - won the League and FA Cup in his first season as Liverpool’s player-manager...awesome player...him and Hoddle are two of the best I’ve ever seen play at Ashton Gate...

The class player Dalglish was the other that crossed my mind but he had very good side to manage and play in , and I thought Hoddle took Swindon up several levels ;)

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The class player Dalglish was the other that crossed my mind but he had very good side to manage and play in , and I thought Hoddle took Swindon up several levels ;)

I think Ruud Gullit was player manager at Chelsea for a bit

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not just Swindon

Heard stories about him as manager of England demonstrating diagonal passes by throwing the ball down and repeatedly pinging a 50 yard diagonal to feet with players stood around just looking at each other almost intimidated by his ability

Theres another account of how he was working with (a young) Beckham on free kicks showing him techniques and completely outfired Beckham , in itself no mean feat

He is well respected as a coach and of course a player, probably would have even won something if he stayed as England manager, he got Swindon promoted and got them playing some fantastic football...Oh! but wait this is OTIB let's all diss him, for no other reason than Merson (hic) and Swindon is it? :facepalm:

Posted without the need to edit..

4 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

He is well respected as a coach and of course a player, probably would have even won something if he stayed as England manager, he got Swindon promoted and got them playing some fantastic football...Oh! but wait this is OTIB let's all diss him, for no other reason than Merson (hic) and Swindon is it? :facepalm:

Posted without the need to edit..

Who’s slagged Hoddle off? All I can see is people saying what a superb player manager he was. 

Strange? 

25 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

One of the best midfielders of his generation, without a doubt. Still puzzling to this day how our 'Golden Generation' never came to anything. 

“It was a disgrace he didn’t win European Footballer of the Year after Istanbul in 2005 and, for me, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders of all time when he finishes.” - Thierry Henry

"The highest compliment I can pay him is that he’s as creative as a Xavi at Barcelona, with something extra as well. When you add his energy, toughness, leadership and goal scoring ability and the result is a fantastic all-round player. He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything.” - Fernando Torres

“To me he is one of the super best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player.” - Pele

“There was a point when Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world. It is unusual to get complete midfield players who can do everything, but that is what he was.” - Zinedine Zidane

“In my opinion he’s in the top three midfielders in the world, maybe the best right now. I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right. Gerrard is England’s best player and he single-handedly got Liverpool into the Champions League." - Patrick Vieira

“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team. Gerrard is a complete player because he can play in every position and can do everything with a football at any time in a game. He’s a player who scores goals, who builds the play, he’s a sensational player.” - Francesco Totti
"For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt." - Kaka

There's loads more of those quotes out there but I genuinely think Gerrard is underrated by the general public, absolutely phenomenal player.

My opinion of Gerrard as a player is that he is the best England midfielder since Duncan Edwards. 

I know that will mean little to many but Edwards was top quality whether he played as a defensive midfield, centre back, attacking midfield and striker. I've used modern positions but Busby played him in so many different roles before his tragic death at Munich. 

It's very difficult to compare players from different generations but Gerrard stood out for me as one who could put in world quality performances in defence, midfield and attack. 

I'll bet he makes a good manager and may be Klopp's successor in a few years. 

And he will definitely be able to get advice from his mate, King Kenny. 

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Yes, every European game they play for a start. Hope Gerrard dons his boots and puts Brown where he belongs, on his ass. Horrible character.

I get it, you don't like him. 

My guess is I have seen him play in far more European games than you, he's a decent player. As for Gerrard getting his boots on for the next Old Firm game, I would love to see it.

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I get it, you don't like him. 

My guess is I have seen him play in far more European games than you, he's a decent player. As for Gerrard getting his boots on for the next Old Firm game, I would love to see it.

You’ve got to admit the bloke is clearly an ass. You may well of seen him more times than I have but from what I’ve seen he thinks he’s a big tough man winding up all the young uns he’s up against but when he’s up against someone with experience it suddenly disappears from his game, something Kyle Bartley didn’t stand for :laughcont:

Would love to see SG playing again but don’t think we will sadly, he’s put himself under an enormous amount of pressure as it is.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Glenn Hoddle for Swindon (player-manager though) and England.  At England training camps, it was often said that he was the best player out there!

8 hours ago, Xspence said:

I heard Merson talk about this. He said training sessions were embarrassing 

2 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Who’s slagged Hoddle off? All I can see is people saying what a superb player manager he was. 

Strange? 

No-one was slagging him off Sandman

The accusation / comment comes from a poster jumping in with both feet when he hasn’t read or understood the above two posts properly 

Davefevs highlights his train8ng sessions and still being the best player

Xspence makes comment that ‘Merson’ Said the training sessions were ‘embarrassing’ (Not in a bad way - as in they were rubbish  - embarrassing for the players who realised they weren’t as good as Hoddle)

Thats how I understand it anyway

Nothing to see here

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

My opinion of Gerrard as a player is that he is the best England midfielder since Duncan Edwards. 

I know that will mean little to many but Edwards was top quality whether he played as a defensive midfield, centre back, attacking midfield and striker. I've used modern positions but Busby played him in so many different roles before his tragic death at Munich. 

It's very difficult to compare players from different generations but Gerrard stood out for me as one who could put in world quality performances in defence, midfield and attack. 

I'll bet he makes a good manager and may be Klopp's successor in a few years. 

And he will definitely be able to get advice from his mate, King Kenny. 

Gerrard better than Charlton? Gerrard did nowt on the international stage, Bobby Charlton was the most important player in England's world cup win.

7 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Gerrard better than Charlton? Gerrard did nowt on the international stage, Bobby Charlton was the most important player in England's world cup win.

Hard to compare different sorts of players from different eras though BC has a World Cuo winners medal to show

Hes mentioned on this thread but Hoddle was never fully utilised by England but one of the most talented players we’ve ever produced

All about opinions and some who part follow one of Liverpool’s rivals will strongly disagree but IMHO Gerrard was one of the best ‘all round footballers’ we’ve ever produced (In so much I struggle to identify any weakness - IMHO he could perform at the top level in any position out on the pitch (Play him up , RB , CH , wide , wherever you wanted , played front and he would have scored 20+ goals IMHO

He could tackle , head , shoot , decent pace, great engine , scored important and spectacular goals and most importantly drove Liverpool as a side almost single handedly at times (His influence to drag Liverpool back in Istanbul was simply incredible)

Listening to those who knew him and his game well its clear that Liverpool built around him letting him roam around and dominate games , as Spurs allowed Hoddle to run the game

WithEngland we had to try and fit Gerrard and others into a ‘slot’ role and for several I think it was difficult to become just a cog in the International side

We almost had too many good ‘dominant’ players (Star turns for their clubs) at the same time (I realise initially that sounds crazy)

To maximise and get the best out of Gerrard we might actually have been better with a very ordinary team to support andcover him , in a Liverpool way , allowing him to perform his action man role 

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

You’ve got to admit the bloke is clearly an ass. You may well of seen him more times than I have but from what I’ve seen he thinks he’s a big tough man winding up all the young uns he’s up against but when he’s up against someone with experience it suddenly disappears from his game, something Kyle Bartley didn’t stand for :laughcont:

Would love to see SG playing again but don’t think we will sadly, he’s put himself under an enormous amount of pressure as it is.

I don't think he's an ass at all, most teams would love him in their side.

Kyle Bartley? Are you talking about the attempted 'hard' tackle he made that Brown jumped straight up from and laughed at ( and was still laughing at the final whistle)

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't think that is necessarily true. Most Rangers fans I know would accept second place for another couple of years yet, what they won't accept is the utter capitulations they have witnessed this season. I have seen Rangers come close twice in the past couple of seasons with well deserved draws at Celtic Park. However, just when they seem to be getting their act together they start to believe their own hype and forget about actually turning up on the pitch. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Have to agree to disagree, football fans are far more fickle than you think. Pre season if you had offered City fans top ten and a national semi final they would have bitten your hand off. Now some are calling for Johnson's head. If Gerrard only gets closer to Celtic but wins nothing they will turn on him in less than 12 months, despite saying they will give him 2 years at the moment.

Archived