IGNORED

steven gerrard.

pillred

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No-one was slagging him off Sandman

The accusation / comment comes from a poster jumping in with both feet when he hasn’t read or understood the above two posts properly 

Davefevs highlights his train8ng sessions and still being the best player

Xspence makes comment that ‘Merson’ Said the training sessions were ‘embarrassing’ (Not in a bad way - as in they were rubbish  - embarrassing for the players who realised they weren’t as good as Hoddle)

Thats how I understand it anyway

Nothing to see here

^this

Merson was saying how in international training sessions how incredible Hoddle was. You would have routines set up that only Hoddle could do whilst you had the group of current internationals unable to match him. I doubt the current squad with Southgate has quite the same issue! :P

17 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

“It was a disgrace he didn’t win European Footballer of the Year after Istanbul in 2005 and, for me, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders of all time when he finishes.” - Thierry Henry

"The highest compliment I can pay him is that he’s as creative as a Xavi at Barcelona, with something extra as well. When you add his energy, toughness, leadership and goal scoring ability and the result is a fantastic all-round player. He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything.” - Fernando Torres

“To me he is one of the super best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player.” - Pele

“There was a point when Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world. It is unusual to get complete midfield players who can do everything, but that is what he was.” - Zinedine Zidane

“In my opinion he’s in the top three midfielders in the world, maybe the best right now. I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right. Gerrard is England’s best player and he single-handedly got Liverpool into the Champions League." - Patrick Vieira

“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team. Gerrard is a complete player because he can play in every position and can do everything with a football at any time in a game. He’s a player who scores goals, who builds the play, he’s a sensational player.” - Francesco Totti
"For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt." - Kaka

There's loads more of those quotes out there but I genuinely think Gerrard is underrated by the general public, absolutely phenomenal player.

"Decent player, but I've won the league more times than him." - David May.

I have to admire the fact that Gerrard is putting his neck on the line to give management a go. It doesn't really matter which team, in which league, he's stepping up and making himself responsible for the side.

There are far too many ex professionals who have never managed or even coached teams and yet they are quite happy to sit on a sofa week in, week out and tell football managers precisely what they are doing wrong.

It may or may not work out for Gerrard but giving it a go deserves respect.

On 05/05/2018 at 00:00, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't think he's an ass at all, most teams would love him in their side.

Kyle Bartley? Are you talking about the attempted 'hard' tackle he made that Brown jumped straight up from and laughed at ( and was still laughing at the final whistle)

Well it wasn’t a soft tackle....

The fact Brown is so disliked is music to my ears, it means he's been doing something right.

In an era where you are barely allowed to touch an opponent, he makes and takes tackles regularly with little fuss. He's basically been straight out assaulted in recent games and carries on with little dramatics compared to 95% of other players I see.

In an era when players are almost boringly robotic, he plays the game with personality - humour, aggression, mockery, leadership all rolled into one.

It's little surprise Celtic (and Brown) regularly struggle in europe against much better teams, but to even get there they need to beat teams of a similar level in the nerve-shredding play-off games and, especially in recent years, his leadership has been pivotal.

Not to mention the guy is just as likely to put a simple 15 yard pass in the stands as he is a team-mate. :redcard:

With the amount of times we've seen City collapse pathetically in recent season, showing little spirit, fight or game management, how I wish we had a dominating leader like Scott Brown in the side.

I never thought the guy would recover when his career was stagnating as he dealt with the death of his sister whilst still trying to perform as a Celtic player, but he has cultivated his game and got rid of most of the recklessness that blighted him during that period.

On 05/05/2018 at 00:00, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't think he's an ass at all, most teams would love him in their side.

Kyle Bartley? Are you talking about the attempted 'hard' tackle he made that Brown jumped straight up from and laughed at ( and was still laughing at the final whistle)

When you hit a d.j.and get your mate to take the flack your an ass.

2 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

The fact Brown is so disliked is music to my ears, it means he's been doing something right.

In an era where you are barely allowed to touch an opponent, he makes and takes tackles regularly with little fuss. He's basically been straight out assaulted in recent games and carries on with little dramatics compared to 95% of other players I see.

In an era when players are almost boringly robotic, he plays the game with personality - humour, aggression, mockery, leadership all rolled into one.

It's little surprise Celtic (and Brown) regularly struggle in europe against much better teams, but to even get there they need to beat teams of a similar level in the nerve-shredding play-off games and, especially in recent years, his leadership has been pivotal.

Not to mention the guy is just as likely to put a simple 15 yard pass in the stands as he is a team-mate. :redcard:

With the amount of times we've seen City collapse pathetically in recent season, showing little spirit, fight or game management, how I wish we had a dominating leader like Scott Brown in the side.

I never thought the guy would recover when his career was stagnating as he dealt with the death of his sister whilst still trying to perform as a Celtic player, but he has cultivated his game and got rid of most of the recklessness that blighted him during that period.

You have pretty much summed up why I like him so much as a player. City, Rovers, ANY side would benefit from a player like him in their ranks.

I did meet him once, unfortunately I had just been released from Paisley hospital with kidney stones (which hurt like ****) so I pretty much blanked him while he was trying to talk to me!

If he has learrned from the managers he has worked under, he could do well.  However this appointment is a big gamble for both Gers and Gerrard himself.

I guess that they realise that he can't create a force to match Celtic in a season or two though, hence the 4 year contract.

He is a gutsy individual though and I hope he does well and maybe goes on to manage England to World Cup glory one day.

On 04/05/2018 at 20:01, Enter Sandman said:

Who’s slagged Hoddle off? All I can see is people saying what a superb player manager he was. 

Strange? 

Well if you read all the comments you might agree that I was right, besides I obviously nipped in the bud any further criticism of the great man.

I didn't really have any thoughts about the bloke one way or the other, but he is becoming increasingly dislikeable ! He seems to be doing everything he can to convince people that the world is against Rangers rather than concentrate on actually making them a better team. There has been an incessant whining since Aberdeen's last minute equaliser in the opening game from his complaining that they 'got done by the ref' yesterday. I was at the game and Rangers were outplayed from start to finish and now despite all the hype Rangers have had their worst start to a league season in 30 years. If Gerrard has got anything about him he would start working and stop whinging!

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I didn't really have any thoughts about the bloke one way or the other, but he is becoming increasingly dislikeable ! He seems to be doing everything he can to convince people that the world is against Rangers rather than concentrate on actually making them a better team. There has been an incessant whining since Aberdeen's last minute equaliser in the opening game from his complaining that they 'got done by the ref' yesterday. I was at the game and Rangers were outplayed from start to finish and now despite all the hype Rangers have had their worst start to a league season in 30 years. If Gerrard has got anything about him he would start working and stop whinging!

He did have a point it was a blatant foul. However from the highlights I saw Celtic battered them.

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

That's modern football management. Deflect criticism from your team, and they can play without as much pressure.

Fergie was a master at it. Mourinho used to be amazing at it. Gerrard brings a big name to scottish football, and even in Scotland most people won't give two shits about the team. It'll be all on Gerrard, and he'll either take it on himself or deflect it.

Besides, it was always commonly said of Gerrard that if he weren't such a fantastic football he'd be out on the rob. You don't deck a DJ for not playing a song you requested if you're a model citizen.

Archived