IGNORED

Women's FA Cup final

Port Said Red

2 cracking goals for Chelsea, the football is really good too. I know they will always receive criticism from some quarters ( I resisted the cheap joke there) but I think the ladies game has developed really quickly in the last 5 years.

44 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

2 cracking goals for Chelsea, the football is really good too. I know they will always receive criticism from some quarters ( I resisted the cheap joke there) but I think the ladies game has developed really quickly in the last 5 years.

Yep, but you score a goal in the cup final and keep your shirt on - so disappointing!

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, watched it and was surprised at the skill of a lot of players and the pace of the game. When hard tackles went in no player was rolling around in agony,  they just got up and got on with the game,  a lot of players in the Men's game should take note.  All in all a very entertaining game to watch and the best team did win. Over 45,000 there too and  lot's of men in attendance.

There are those who point out that the price of entry was a lot less for the Women's Cup Final than the Men's - kids were free for example - and that an all-London game was obviously a more attractive proposition, but the obvious fact is clear that the game is drawing bigger crowds and getting players involved. It's a testament to the way a high profile is creating momentum at all levels. And despite the heat and a big Wembley pitch, the game lived up to many people's expectations. There is more to come.

Perhaps the Women's game is really getting up to speed now and will develop its own culture - after all, there must be plenty of girls aged around 5-7 who do not know anything else than a professional approach. Many more young players will see an opportunity for a career at the top level if they are good enough. And that's something that would have been impossible only a few years ago.

Archived