IGNORED

SL Radio Bristol interview

Jacki

On 07/05/2018 at 08:26, cidercity1987 said:

How does your 3rd 4th division theory explain the fact old Johnson and now young Johnson have achieved our highest league placings in the last 40 years?

With the most money spent in the last 100 years...............

I would really love it if someone could add up the total amount of players signed by father and son, and the total cost. must be astronomical in BCFC terms.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nothing surprising about Cardiff’s promotion....they were languishing in 23rd position in the championship, so they brought in a proven, successful, experienced championship manager and he took them from relegation fodder to promotion to the premier league in no time at all....take a bow Mr Warnock.....an 8th promotion....a record in this country....not surprising at all....

Also worth noting that Warnock spent £9M on two strikers this season. 

One is already on loan at Nottingham Forest (unlikely to return) and the other hasn't scored for Cardiff despite scoring 10 goals for Bolton before his January transfer.

Cardiff deserve to be promoted because they finished 2nd.  But plenty of their fans were questioning Warnock and his style of play when they lost most of their games over Christmas and New Year.  As unpalatable as it might be, luck plays a part in any team's success.  Had they not got promoted, the Madine transfer could have been a very expensive mistake.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nothing surprising about Cardiff’s promotion....they were languishing in 23rd position in the championship, so they brought in a proven, successful, experienced championship manager and he took them from relegation fodder to promotion to the premier league in no time at all....take a bow Mr Warnock.....an 8th promotion....a record in this country....not surprising at all....

Been saying it myself for a few years. Unless you get lucky with an up and coming manager, then in all likelihood you're going to need to bring in someone who's proven they know how to get a team up i.e. Warnock, Allardyce, Bruce, Keegan, Chris Hughes.

At the time, I was quite looking forward to the Coppell rein, unfortunately that went pear shaped, but at least we had the right intentions. 

Just now, beaverface said:

Been saying it myself for a few years. Unless you get lucky with an up and coming manager, then in all likelihood you're going to need to bring in someone who's proven they know how to get a team up i.e. Warnock, Allardyce, Bruce, Keegan, Chris Hughes.

At the time, I was quite looking forward to the Coppell rein, unfortunately that went pear shaped, but at least we had the right intentions. 

The question is where the next batch of ‘been there done it’s will come from if you don’t give young managers time to learn their trade. 

Its like buying proven vs nurturing academy. Buying proven is all well and good until they’re all too old and retire. What then? No ready made replacements because no one has had the guts to ride the storm and stick by a young manager. 

14 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Good job Fulham never gave that Sessegnon a go, he only had a handful of appearances at the start of the season.

Where did I say not to give Kelly a go. 

But  Kelly is not at the same level has Bryan , if he was he would be attracting the interest of Premier League clubs. 

So that is my point , IF Bryan goes he would big a massive miss to the team.

Hopefully Kelly can develop into a player who could play at the top level but at the moment he need to develop that is why he is not a straight replacement for Bryan.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

Cardiff deserve to be promoted because they finished 2nd.  But plenty of their fans were questioning Warnock and his style of play when they lost most of their games over Christmas and New Year.  As unpalatable as it might be, luck plays a part in any team's success.  Had they not got promoted, the Madine transfer could have been a very expensive mistake.

Plenty of our fans questioned LJ and his style of play in 2018 - 4 wins in 22 league games - and we signed a striker for around the same price as Madine....our guy scored some goals and we didn’t get promoted....so why isn’t our signing an expensive mistake? Madine only took part in 13 games for Cardiff this season due to injuries...Warnock gets the job done...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Plenty of our fans questioned LJ and his style of play in 2018 - 4 wins in 22 league games - and we signed a striker for around the same price as Madine....our guy scored some goals and we didn’t get promoted....so why isn’t our signing an expensive mistake? Madine only took part in 13 games for Cardiff this season due to injuries...Warnock gets the job done...

Is anyone suggesting that buying Famara Diedhiou for £5.3M was bad business?  13 goals in his first season was a significant contribution even if we were a long way off promotion.  Across the season, he played 10 hours less football than Madine and scored 3 more goals.

I'm no expert on Cardiff's finances (!) but I think this season was their last year of parachute payments.  They aren't well backed by their bizarre owner and have debts of at least £100M.  Therefore shelling out £6M on Madine was a gamble.  From what I've read, his contribution came in the form of pushing other players to perform (and get them over the line into second place).  I don't think even Warnock would claim he bought a £6M player to get the best out of his existing strikers!  I'm not questioning their 2nd place eligibility but if they had lost one more game, Fulham could have taken second spot.

I'm not trying to discredit Warnock or Cardiff's achievement but luck plays a part and their promotion was on a fairly fine margin.  Similarly I'm not defending LJ and the poor results since Christmas.

10 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The question is where the next batch of ‘been there done it’s will come from if you don’t give young managers time to learn their trade. 

Its like buying proven vs nurturing academy. Buying proven is all well and good until they’re all too old and retire. What then? No ready made replacements because no one has had the guts to ride the storm and stick by a young manager. 

That's a fair point, but where did the Millens, ODriscoll, McInnes, appointments get us?

Sometimes you need to get a proven manager in rather than continually think we're bringing through the next amazing manager when in reality we're drifting along.

I think we're a club with enough stature that can watch an upcoming manager prove themselves at another club before making an approach, and if we just so happen to be in the premier league via an older experienced manager that may make us all the more attractive.

7 hours ago, beaverface said:

That's a fair point, but where did the Millens, ODriscoll, McInnes, appointments get us?

Sometimes you need to get a proven manager in rather than continually think we're bringing through the next amazing manager when in reality we're drifting along.

I think we're a club with enough stature that can watch an upcoming manager prove themselves at another club before making an approach, and if we just so happen to be in the premier league via an older experienced manager that may make us all the more attractive.

Absolutely - not saying you should stick with any old dross just to make the point. But Johnson’s win rate is as good as or better than many ‘bigger’ or ‘more experienced’ managers in the league. 

I’m neutral on LJ right now - I can’t ignore the negatives but also can’t deny the positives - but taking the individual manager out of the equation, i actually quite like that we’re a club that’s bucking the modern trend of getting through 3 managers a season and having a firm commitment to a longer term view of what success looks like. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Kelly has been getting premier league interest according to Johnson

I do enjoy the absurd opinions on here that because Kelly struggled in one isolated game vs Leon Clarke that no Premier League team would want him.

Obviously prem clubs have their eyes everywhere, u23 games, youth games.. England youth.. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I do enjoy the absurd opinions on here that because Kelly struggled in one isolated game vs Leon Clarke that no Premier League team would want him.

Obviously prem clubs have their eyes everywhere, u23 games, youth games.. England youth.. 

I'm sure they'll take note that he looked uncomfortable at CB in the Championship on Sunday (obviously with time on his side) but will also have noted his competent apps. at LB.

Does he play as a CB for England youth?

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely - not saying you should stick with any old dross just to make the point. But Johnson’s win rate is as good as or better than many ‘bigger’ or ‘more experienced’ managers in the league. 

I’m neutral on LJ right now - I can’t ignore the negatives but also can’t deny the positives - but taking the individual manager out of the equation, i actually quite like that we’re a club that’s bucking the modern trend of getting through 3 managers a season and having a firm commitment to a longer term view of what success looks like. 

Completely agree. Some of the football we've played this season has been the best I've ever seen (from 1990 onwards), and likewise, some of the football in the second half of this season has been woeful. You need to be objective with both the praise and criticism.

Before LJ came along, I wanted a proven manager, and I stand by that. With next season, if we demonstrate the same pattern of results, LJ seriously does need to be questioned about his role simply because other experienced managers have shown that they can achieve more in a shorter period of time.

In some ways I agree with what you're saying about bucking the trend for the long term - Charlton did it for years with Alan Curbishly, and Ipswich with George Burley - but  hey were making the playoffs in the Championship and they weren't going on bad runs for months at a time, which unfortunately LJ seems to be doing.

Like I say, next season will be very interesting to see if the same bad run happens, or whether LJ can avert it. City will be his longest managerial appointment, so we should know for sure if he's learnt from his mistakes.

Archived