IGNORED

SL Radio Bristol interview

Jacki

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Someone I know saw him in Cabot Circus 10 days ago,( shopping). They asked him what his plans were in the future, he said he had nothing more planned than a holiday in Dubai in a couple of weeks, so probably about now. 

Does he still live round this way then?

15 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Always a good idea telling complete strangers when you'll be travelling abroad. 

Assuming he was telling the truth! Yes I was surprised he was in CC, dressed very casually, shorts and flip flops!

Before anyone goes out or anyone comes in, I'd guess a good hard look at our current scouting network/recruitment process is in order. Clubs like Brentford and Millwall and Preston all finished above us with a  fraction of our resources and several excellent players recruited for a fraction of the cost of some of our 'less successful' signings. When we are looking to push on and establish our club as top end  Championship/realistic promotion contenders, we HAVE to do better. January was a disaster in terms of recruitment. In terms of 'added value', the club would have been better off keeping the padlock on the cash tin! No transfer is a cert. I can't imagine that the hierarchy at Old Trafford are thrilled with the lack of impact the horrendously expensive Sanchez has had, but Diony, Kent and Walsh have all been ineffective. ( And that's me being on my best behaviour!) Football fans are not the most patient and more than once in recent years the rhetoric about lofty expectations and objectives at the club has helped inflate expectations even more. I'm not for a minute suggesting that the club suggest that they're looking forward to a mediocre season in 2018/19, but an incremental improvement, with the further development and introduction of  a few more 'homegrown' youngsters, may be a better starting point than the 'fanfares' of recent years. Whatever happens, if the club don't address the scouting and recruitment processes, Mr Lansdown will not see much of a return on his outlay in terms of balancing the player budgets.

PS Asset stripping is a slippery slope too, ask the long suffering fans of Barnsley FC!!

11 hours ago, spudski said:

That's how it works fella...not spin...but a fact.

Do you're own research as to Mitrovic and how he went to Fulham. The process, who had to be sold to move on, who paid what, where he was going etc, etc.

It's not like shopping in the supermarket.

Lets also see how a Serb and a Bosnian get on together shall we. :thumbsup:

Come back when you understand the inner workings of a football club instead of seeing it like a shopping list your missus might have given you.

Even if SL had sanctioned what you want...if we had the budget to do so...what makes you think he'd come here?

Again...so many permutations...which you seem to ignore.

Happy shopping ;-)

Most of your posts on here are a micro defence of specific actions by the club and its management.

How about the big one - since sacking Danny Wilson 14 years ago, during which time there have been about 7 different strategies, and 5 pillars, why is it that about 20 clubs including the likes of Bournemouth and tin pot towns like Burnley, have overtaken us to the Premiership?

If every decision that the club and its management makes is so right, and SL, MA and LJ are so ******* brilliant, why for example can Cardiff rocket above us from a standing start?

You can defend all these little decisions as much as you like, but the reality is that, looking at the big picture, our "progress" is snail paced.

8 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Most of your posts on here are a micro defence of specific actions by the club and its management.

How about the big one - since sacking Danny Wilson 14 years ago, during which time there have been about 7 different strategies, and 5 pillars, why is it that about 20 clubs including the likes of Bournemouth and tin pot towns like Burnley, have overtaken us to the Premiership?

If every decision that the club and its management makes is so right, and SL, MA and LJ are so ******* brilliant, why for example can Cardiff rocket above us from a standing start?

You can defend all these little decisions as much as you like, but the reality is that, looking at the big picture, our "progress" is snail paced.

No more likes left for today, so I'll give this post a gert big love.

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What also struck me was that SL implies that we will need to cash in on the ‘value of the squad ‘ (And my reading recoup some money for reinvestment) Which most of us agree will involve selling two or more of our most sought after / better players , 

(And very few if any of us have got much faith in recruitment and hence the reinvestment

At the same time he wants us to finish higher than we did this season and makes noises about top six

Now , I have little confidence in LJ but that’s a big ask from the owner 

Sell your better players ,’reinvest’ in players that can be developed , but finish higher than last season .....

How does that work ?

Its a big ask at least

It certainly is!  I think it shows that SL thinks we’ve under-performed against expectations.  I do think that although we’ve made progress, up to 11th from last season, I speculate that in January, we had some offers and we turned them down under the mantra of “we are on the cusp of something here, just keep the squad together and 1 or 2 more we could reach our target ahead of time”.  I’m not saying that it’s all LJ’s fault, MA (partial to a bit of self praise too) would have to backed it to, and finally SL bought it

Sell your better players for good prices and then buy hidden gems , at least as good (Or will become very quickly) at a lower price , that no one else has latched onto and integrate them into your side / ethos

Good Luck with that, as everything stands on evidence of last 2 years

It doesn’t follow our ethos but possibly the most efficient way to do that could be the Cardiff type method of picking up OOC players for free or next to nothing but pay the signing on fee and wages (A la Junior Hoillett) 

A lot to be said for this.  Even my much written likely cost of the JT free transfer for a year is circa £6-8m.  We paid £5.3m for Diedhiou plus wages, plus agent fee, plus signing on fee....albeit over the length of his contract.  I don’t want to go down the JT short term route, but Hoilett is a good example of someone young, who you get in for a smaller (agent ‘ signing on) fee than a Famara.  Hoilett though only came in on a year, then extended until this summer, so has probably done very nicely.  Probably knows he’s in demand so can play itbto his advantage too.  I guess no policy is fail safe.  The better freebies financially are the likes of Brownhill, Small tribunal fee, can’t demsnd the earth in wages.  Those are the types we should be looking at...and other strategies too.

Also interesting that SL indicates that we are ‘up there’ in the wages we pay

IIRC  Stated that we are not top four wage wise and cannot compete with Villa or the top four / six but we are ‘up there’

That seems to dispel , unless he’s lying that we are hampered by finances in the way some of the apologists on here claim we are 

We are paying decent fees , including multi million pound fees on development players (Which few if any Clubs in this league are doing)

and SL infers we are certainly top half wages wise if I understand correctly

The reasons suggested by some , how we are pushing up a mountain trying to compete against the vast majority of the Championship are losing weight....

That was the big point for me.  I’ve done the analysis on the 16/17 accounts and we are a bottom 7/8 club, kept in line with FFP by Kodjia, Bolassie and Adomah.  That to me suggests SL has allowed the proverbial boat to be pushed out this season, which causes me more concern that without any sales (Tomlin at a loss), there will be a big hole in the Finances.  I wish Gavin Marshall was at the basketball yesterday, would love to quiz him Finances.  A month or so back he told me we are still a bottom 8 side in terms of turnover....so if the wage bill has increased and no transfer profit, we are looking at a big minus figure in the accounts.  Add into that a £300k (rumoured) penalty for Kent...that’s the equivalent of £15k per week ON TOP of the wages we were already paying LFC.  That would probably equate to him being the highest paid player on our books....unless Diony has a worse deal financially.  imagine SL allowed us to keep a Joe or Aden in January sacrificing £5-8m on the promise of playoffs at least.  SL sounded a bit narked!

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes - exactly what I understood

So some Clubs wage budgets are higher because they pay , let’s say 25 players £20k a week whereas only a few of our might be getting that

As above, perhaps a few more of our players are NOW on bigger money than last season, our increased wage will isn’t gonna be offset by £3m from the cup run....but bloody hell, a godsend for SL against what he seems to be inferring we’ve shelled out!

ie we have to slice up our smaller wage budget more efficiently 

I get that

But I’m no financial expert and SL is , but I’d suggest packing your squad out with million pound plus (With associated wages)  ‘punts’ who to date IMHO look very ‘questionable investments’ is actually draining that budget and preventing us competing for players that directly effect the quality of the match day squad 

Agree.  Wasteful use of resources.

SL wants to finish top 6 and get promoted yet  makes it clear that the income gap has to be closed and the Club must be run as an efficient business

SL made no bones that is his aim.  I sensed in the interview that LJ (and MA) will not make him look a fool.  Cotts did (in a roundabout way) and quickly lost his job.

Certainly with the current set up , I just can’t see those two correlating 

IMHO ....said it a few times , after SC lost the plot he actually left us with a very slim squad with some very decent players , very little ‘dead wood’ , and players with talent , and almost a perfect / dream scenario for the man coming in ...... a perfect base to add too and supplement

It was an efficient squad, albeit a tad too thin for the Champ.  Just imagine it ‘padded’ with Maguire (England international), Fredericks (Champ team of the year) and Gray (promoted with Burnley), and one or two loans like Liam Moore (Reading POTY this season)?  

We didn’t need to dismantle that squad so drastically or need to sign 30 odd  players to be in better shape on the pitch than we are now

We f****^d up big style at that point IMHO

and IMHO went ‘wayward’  recruiting for the business model rather than the match day squad players / quality

We did have to pad the squad to a degree, but not well enough.

What makes that worse, on top of that is IMHO the actual quality of our recruitment is generally flawed and the investments are eating money and likely to negatively effect the overall budgets

Kodjia was a financial sucessv and that success may have convinced SL further that this was the way to go

I think SL sees the need for one Kodjia a season, to some extent he’s fortunate that the 3 or 4 (Flint, Bryan, Reid and Pack) that are of interest to other clubs are virtually all ‘profit’.  Selling Diedhiou for £7m doesn’t net us much when you compare.

Profit on Academy graduates BR and JB will help balance the books further Tbf

The question is ,

(a)can you produce enough of these successes yearly , year in year out ,

(b) whilst replacing them , adequately, and

(c) whilst hoping to compete in this league , or in fact as SL wants top six / promotion at some point

You can but when looking at current evidence and indicators I personally don’t see the current set up delivering all  three , putting it mildly 

You old cynic!

It’s all gonna be fine!! 

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's if we believe SL.

I will have a look for it later but the excellent Swiss Ramble twitter account did a review of our last set of accounts and concluded we still had one of the lower wage budgets in the division.

See above Kid....there’s is based a lot on 16/17 figures, as per the published accounts.  You’ve probably seen my table before.  I’ll post again if you would like to see it.  The worry for me is that 17/18 has seen us spend more than we ought to have.

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

One thing that comes out of it is Geoff Twentyman is far and away by the best local sports journalist.

Like he did when we were on our previous awful run under LJ, he doesn’t shy away from asking awkward questions.

Really think it helps that he played the game at pro level too.

We’re lucky to have GT at Radio Bristol, it’s a shame he doesn’t do the interviews of the manager after the games

22 hours ago, spudski said:

Lets also see how a Serb and a Bosnian get on together shall we. :thumbsup:

Bosnia is really complicated.

Milan Djuric is ethnically a Bosnian Serb, if he wasn’t , he’d be a Muslim (like Edin Dzeko) so I’d suggest that he would have got on absolutely fine with Mitrovic, though that point is now pretty moot.

My view is Mitrovic was always going to join Jokanovic no matter what we did, but that doesn’t mean the signings we made in January were anything other than shambolic, though I’ll give Walsh more time, even if the first impressions worry me.

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

And you can look at all the other clubs that are far bigger than us that have failed miserably and continue to do so. It's swings and roundabouts.

In this instance I'm not 'defending' the club...I'm just stating facts.

At the moment...this forum is just full of people nit picking everything about the club, presuming things, making things up, then the next minute it's gospel.

It's all a bit sad really.

The Club aren't perfect...I'm not so sure about MA myself. But imo, they are trying to do things the right way and improve and have a long term plan. They may not get it right, and mistakes will be made. We are still massively playing catch up with others.

Considering how crap our infra structure was in the past, our constant short term strategy, and being only a few seasons up, I'm struggling to understand how so many supposedly knowledgeable people expect us to be Promoted to the Prem so quickly.

When you say our progress is snail paced...how else do you expect it to be faster? We bought Brownhill and Odowda....they took a whole season to 'develop'.

The loan system is now a season....so any players developing on loan, will take a season.

So it is a slow process.

I'm not sure how anyone could expect any manager to come in, save us from relegation, then buy players in within our blueprint and remit, and expect top 6 or promotion within 2 seasons.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bosnia is really complicated.

Milan Djuric is ethnically a Bosnian Serb, if he wasn’t , he’d be a Muslim (like Edin Dzeko) so I’d suggest that he would have got on absolutely fine with Mitrovic, though that point is now pretty moot.

My view is Mitrovic was always going to join Jokanovic no matter what we did, but that doesn’t mean the signings we made in January were anything other than shambolic, though I’ll give Walsh more time, even if the first impressions worry me.

It is really complicated over there...all of that area. I was surprised at how feelings still bubble under the surface. It came out even more at the footy.

Is Famara the only Muslim we have in the team?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It is really complicated over there...all of that area. I was surprised at how feelings still bubble under the surface. It came out even more at the footy.

Is Famara the only Muslim we have in the team?

Not even sure he is, Senegal is split pretty evenly between Christians and Muslims and I don’t know about him at all.

In Bosnia the names are a huge indicator.

23 hours ago, Olé said:

For anyone who hasn't or can't listen to the audio, the EP has ripped off transcribed the interview in full here:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-transcript-steve-lansdown-january-1538603

It reads as SL being very direct about the poor standard of the past four months and the shambles of a January transfer window, I agree that he is not as "protective" of LJ in his comments, as I might have expected. Well done to Geoff Twentyman for not giving him room for easy throwaway PR.

Whether this translates into any meaningful change is another matter - one thing you can say for LJ and MA is they will give SL a commentary on what they are doing that will sound convincing, even if the outcomes themselves are flawed. But I read it as LJ under pressure to deliver next season.

Not saying this with any pleasure or spite for LJ, but based on that tone/expectation from SL, I would have wanted to be coming out the back end of this season having already established far more long term key players and an effective style of play, ready to hit the ground running in August. LJ is toast.

The other SL comment that is notable,concerns using what you have available (resources), and also quotes Pat Lam. After 30 plus players signed, it about time the club have a playing strategy and a balanced squad to deliver that.Instead all we hear is that we are missing this or missing that. Worse to come, numerous players will leave this summer, so instead of building on a solid base, we are going to to be rebuilding. It should not be like that  with the players that have been made available, and the players other clubs have signed that we could have afforded (another SL comment ) we should now be ready to launch a serious top 6 effort . There are reasons for the second half of season performance, the only hope is that SL finally realises what those were. There are people at the club that certainly know what went wrong. He needs to do his due diligence well this summer to understand what is really going on and where the current approach js failing. You cannot just ignore the last 3 months as that is the basis and platform for next season. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not even sure he is, Senegal is split pretty evenly between Christians and Muslims and I don’t know about him at all.

Interesting discussion but why are you discussing it?

In Western Europe, a multi ethnic, multi religion group of countries, the only thing that should matter is whether a person is suitable for the job. While many are working very hard to get rid of religious and racial hatred, such as between Celtic and Rangers, we shouldn't be going in the opposite direction.

Surely, the only requisites for a player to join City are is he good enough and is he a decent person.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He is Muslim - I think off the top of my head he might be the first Muslim we’ve had play for us.. over the last few years anyway.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

In Western Europe, a multi ethnic, multi religion group of countries, the only thing that should matter is whether a person is suitable for the job. While many are working very hard to get rid of religious and racial hatred, such as between Celtic and Rangers, we shouldn't be going in the opposite direction.

Surely, the only requisites for a player to join City are is he good enough and is he a decent person.

Yes and that’s fine for Western Europe, but obviously Bosnia and Serbia are far more complex. 

The question was that could there have been potential issues with Djuric and Mitrovic.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes and that’s fine for Western Europe, but obviously Bosnia and Serbia are far more complex. 

The question was that could there have been potential issues with Djuric and Mitrovic.

When I regularly watched  Lazio play, I'll never forget Sinisa Mihajlovic and Adrian Mutu....like you say, it's far more complex, regardless of what this country is trying to enforce.

13 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Exactly. I couldn't give a **** what religion anyone is. No more than anyone should give a toss what my own interests are. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

And you can look at all the other clubs that are far bigger than us that have failed miserably and continue to do so. It's swings and roundabouts.

At the moment...this forum is just full of people nit picking everything about the club, presuming things, making things up, then the next minute it's gospel.

The Club aren't perfect...I'm not so sure about MA myself. But imo, they are trying to do things the right way and improve and have a long term plan. They may not get it right, and mistakes will be made. We are still massively playing catch up with others.

@spudski for what it's worth I thought it very interesting that SL mentioned Burnley as a club that's done things the right way. I seem to recall, years ago, you and I agreeing that the the Burnley set up was a good one...and for me, having meet their then Chairman, that started in the Boardroom, where to this day there is no majority  shareholder (although he holds something like 49% of the shares), the former Chair is vice-Chair and the directors have been around for a while and seem independent minded people. A team effort is how it was described to me. City are not organised that way...and for me therein lies the issue...who challenges the Lansdown view? Anyone who's met Steve - nice chap and all that - must be struck by his sense that it's his club. It's most definitely not a partnership. I don't believe he has the necessary experience around him to do a 'Burnley'.

57 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Because someone asked me a question.

I am an Atheist and I really don’t care what religion someone is, we have had Atheists, Agnostics, Protestants, Catholics, Jews (Dekel Keinan, before someone asks) and apparently now a Muslim play for us.

I am only bothered if they are any good myself but was answering Spudski’s point about how Djuric & Mitrovic might have got on..

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Considering how crap our infra structure was in the past, our constant short term strategy, and being only a few seasons up, I'm struggling to understand how so many supposedly knowledgeable people expect us to be Promoted to the Prem so quickly.

When you say our progress is snail paced...how else do you expect it to be faster? We bought Brownhill and Odowda....they took a whole season to 'develop'.

The loan system is now a season....so any players developing on loan, will take a season.

So it is a slow process.

I'm not sure how anyone could expect any manager to come in, save us from relegation, then buy players in within our blueprint and remit, and expect top 6 or promotion within 2 seasons.

Well you've just answered the question you want to mate rather than the one I've asked.

Look at the clubs that have made it to the Premiership over the past 18 years.

Charlton. Bolton. Fulham. West Brom. Birmingham.Portsmouth. Leicester. Norwich. Crystal Palace. Wigan. Reading. Sheffield United.Watford. Derby. Stoke. Hull. Blackpool. Swansea. QPR. Bournemouth.Cardiff.

Some of them more than once and some of those have even made it starting life from the 4th division.

Are all of these clubs so infinitely bigger than us? No. None of them are.

Put it another way. I believe I'd be correct in saying that of last season's Championship clubs, apart from ourselves, It's only Preston, Millwall and Burton that haven't played in the Premiership during the last 18 years.

So for the sad people nit picking on this forum, give us something to hang our hat on.

What evidence is there that the current strategy and management is any more likely to work than the strategies and pillars of the past 18 years, given that it's the same person responsible for the strategy and choice of management?

There isn't any, so apologies but I can't get too excited about the current strategy or management, especially when the previous strategy and management which worked very successfully over 18 months was discarded at the first sign of difficulty.

On 07/05/2018 at 00:13, Float'n Over said:

The conclusion is that the club must finish higher than this year and to do that he and others will be looking at what need to do better.

I'm probably totally wrong but I have a feeling that a Director of Football will be brought in, an experienced name to oversee and hopefully stop some of the terrible decisions made between LJ and MA (signings not used, loans not used etc etc)

I think that not using the loan signings this season have been the one thing we have got spot on..!

I can see the thinking behind all of them, at the time. As they transpired to be a waste of space, then leaving them out was exactly the right thing to do. 

23 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

@spudski for what it's worth I thought it very interesting that SL mentioned Burnley as a club that's done things the right way. I seem to recall, years ago, you and I agreeing that the the Burnley set up was a good one...and for me, having meet their then Chairman, that started in the Boardroom, where to this day there is no majority  shareholder (although he holds something like 49% of the shares), the former Chair is vice-Chair and the directors have been around for a while and seem independent minded people. A team effort is how it was described to me. City are not organised that way...and for me therein lies the issue...who challenges the Lansdown view? Anyone who's met Steve - nice chap and all that - must be struck by his sense that it's his club. It's most definitely not a partnership. I don't believe he has the necessary experience around him to do a 'Burnley'.

And I'd probably agree with that, in the same way he wanted to do a Madjeski, when he bought Coppell in. Look how that ended up.

It's swings and roundabouts...you either have someone like Lansdown, or some foreigner.

If anyone wonders why the club have been very average for many years, look no further than the owners, past and present.

It is what it is.

On 07/05/2018 at 06:16, WayOutWest said:

I like Mark Ashton. But I have a very big caveat. 

Just do negotiations. Your job is not to "identify targets". Leave that to football people. Unless I have this wrong. I will happily stand corrected. 

You have proved your worth getting 10m potentially 15m for JK. You got MT for 300k. 

That is your job. **** over other clubs and ensure we are not ****** over. 

I think a DoF is an excellent idea. 

Stevo 

DoF ....... could this be Gary Johnson ?

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

It has been since January, hasn't it?

On a serious note, we need a strong character, someone who knows the club, has experienced winning and understands the championship and the league above.

I know who I'd approach.

Colin ?

Seriously .... who?

14 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

It has been since January, hasn't it?

On a serious note, we need a strong character, someone who knows the club, has experienced winning and understands the championship and the league above.

I know who I'd approach.

Wouldn't have to go far either, he lives in Clifton.

Archived