IGNORED

Is it worth raiding League One for it's assets?

reddogkev

Southend got a great young Cm coming through. Might be too early to get him just yet though. 

Still think we should continue to look at Ligue 1 and 2. Despite Diony’s abysmal time here. Diedhiou and Kodjia have both been excellent purchases. 

If we are going to be signing the best youngsters from the lower leagues, we may as well give ours a chance as well.

I really hope to see O'Leary, Kelly, Vyner, Morrell, Bakinson, Holden, Semenyo all given a chance next season

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

If we are going to be signing the best youngsters from the lower leagues, we may as well give ours a chance as well.

I really hope to see O'Leary, Kelly, Vyner, Morrell, Bakinson, Holden, Semenyo all given a chance next season

Surprised O’Leary didn’t make the England C squad. He’s had s good season. 

Kelly needs to be out first choice left back next season.  Vyner is likely to be back up CB at best. If we play the rest of those mentioned too much though then we will struggle. They’re nowhere near ready - if they even ever will be. 

Max, Kelly & Vyner I’d guess are the only ones from our academy who we’ll see more of next year. Which is still very good. 

We need a helluva lot more tho to stay in this division next year. And some finger in the air foreign signings ain’t gonna do the biz. We need to use whatever transfer funds and more importantly wage budget to bring in a couple of high class players for next year. 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Kelly needs to be out first choice left back next season.  Vyner is likely to be back up CB at best. If we play the rest of those mentioned too much though then we will struggle. They’re nowhere near ready - if they even ever will be. 

Max, Kelly & Vyner I’d guess are the only ones from our academy who we’ll see more of next year. Which is still very good. 

We need a helluva lot more tho to stay in this division next year. And some finger in the air foreign signings ain’t gonna do the biz. We need to use whatever transfer funds and more importantly wage budget to bring in a couple of high class players for next year. 

Don't think we should be playing them regularly, but instead of bringing in loan players from other clubs to just sit on the bench it would be much more beneficial to play our own youngsters I'd say. Having watched a few U23 games and seen Semenyo at Bath a couple of times and on highlight reels him and Bakinson/Holden all look like they should be ready for league loans next year or be kept here to play some minutes in cup games and get on the bench for a couple of league games as well

Paddy McNair i'd take a risk on. He was Sunderland's only ray of light this season as he was injured for most of it.

My worry would be his injury record (that can happen anywhere) but also Sunderland only signed him the year before for £5.5 million and I imagine he in on a hefty wedge of cash considering he signed from Man Utd and Sunderland signed him when in the Premier League.

I imagine he wont want to stay in League 1 so give him a pay cut, see what he says.

Personally I think we should buy the best players available for the money we have to spend. I don't think we should be targeting or excluding any particular division or any country but trying to have the widest possible scouting network. If there's a good player in League One for a good price then yes, sign them. If not, look elsewhere. 

In all honesty, I suspect there is a lot less value for money in League One than we would hope. The majority of clubs are not so daft as to put a £300k release clause in the contract of their main goalscorer...

On 16/05/2018 at 21:24, JBFC II said:

Don't think we should be playing them regularly, but instead of bringing in loan players from other clubs to just sit on the bench it would be much more beneficial to play our own youngsters I'd say. Having watched a few U23 games and seen Semenyo at Bath a couple of times and on highlight reels him and Bakinson/Holden all look like they should be ready for league loans next year or be kept here to play some minutes in cup games and get on the bench for a couple of league games as well

Semenyo scored 4 goals for Bath City

3 of them in a Somerset Cup tie when Bath put 8 past Welton

All that you mention may well have a future , and Semenyo has some decent reports at youth level , but I think you may be optimistic , or naive about the jump required to play first team football

On 16/05/2018 at 12:36, beaverface said:

:laugh: - didn't John Ward try that after promotion? He brought in Akinibiyi, Hutchings and Dyche who we're all their respective player of the years (I think). Unfortunately we also bought Tony Thorpe which left us with no more money to strengthen the parts of the team....

Dyche was brought in before we were promoted....we went up at the end of his first season with us....

On 16/05/2018 at 21:15, Newquay-Red said:

League One? Reasonably priced English talent? Of course not! Don't be silly...Now, have you got your plane ticket to Sweden like Lee said? I must say that I'm really excited; I've never actually chased geese in the wild before, sounds a right laugh

Sad thing it’s prob cheaper to get a plane on a cold Tuesday night to watch a game in Sweden than it is to Fleetwood on the train for example

On 16/05/2018 at 20:08, Shtanley said:

Southend got a great young Cm coming through. Might be too early to get him just yet though. 

Still think we should continue to look at Ligue 1 and 2. Despite Diony’s abysmal time here. Diedhiou and Kodjia have both been excellent purchases. 

he just needs confidence we are possibly a step too far, drop him down a league or two give him a run of games then in four years time you can watch him score a thirty yard screamer that puts England out of the next world cup

On 16/05/2018 at 09:52, reddogkev said:

First up, apologies, I don't know enough of the individual talent in League One to suggest names, as I haven't read any match reports or seen any highlights of their season - but the talent must be there and on many a teams' radar.

I reckon we should go shopping in the league to snap up the main talent (promoted teams aside, unless of course they are still tempted by City). 

I understand your reasoning. However I'd rather the club approached Wolves, Cardiff & the P/O winners to see if they are releasing any players who are OK for Championship winning teams, but not quite good enough for the Prem., 

On 16/05/2018 at 21:05, Harry said:

Harry - trust your judgement.  Do you see Kelly playing / starting 35+ games next season?  I still think he has a bit to do.  Be great if he really is ready, but I’m trying not to get too carried away, because this division is brutal.

FWIW, despite the impressive loan spell for Vyner, I don’t see him competing regularly at CB next season, back-up as you say.  He might get more minutes at RB.  The bits an pieces I saw of him (highlights) I thought he didn’t look strong enough. But I guess it also depends who you pair him with.  With Flint, you just tell Flint to pick up the big man and attack it.  With Magnússon both would prefer to drop off!  What do you then do if they play two big men or two physical players? 

6 hours ago, The Batman said:

Paddy McNair i'd take a risk on. He was Sunderland's only ray of light this season as he was injured for most of it.

My worry would be his injury record (that can happen anywhere) but also Sunderland only signed him the year before for £5.5 million and I imagine he in on a hefty wedge of cash considering he signed from Man Utd and Sunderland signed him when in the Premier League.

I imagine he wont want to stay in League 1 so give him a pay cut, see what he says. 

Sun'lun are on record as saying that their higher paid players have to be sold off....at cut price if necessary to make up for the high wages.

That club is in a helluva mess

17 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Sun'lun are on record as saying that their higher paid players have to be sold off....at cut price if necessary to make up for the high wages.

That club is in a helluva mess

Not only cut price, but probably have to come to some arrangement re the rest of their contract too, if the buying club won’t offer them comparable terms.  Rodwell couldn’t be given away because he wanted his £70k per week, as per the terms of his contract.

Archived