IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

Haven't really been able to have a look at him but a name that jumped to mind, what about Scott Malone? If I've missed something then fair enough but a quick look online shows he hasn't played in Huddersfield's last couple of friendlies, doesn't appear to be injured and on their forum people aren't including him in their squads for their game against Chelsea. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How many times have we seen clubs throw cash at promotion and fail? Be pretty funny if we ended up finishing above Villa and/or Boro. 

Don't forget on top of that- not just cash at promotion.

Names too- Derby based on 'names' should have gone up sometime in last 3-4 seasons IMO. Villa last year, Middlesbrough too potentially.

(Personally I thought a number of those 'names' were overrated or too old).

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Haven't really been able to have a look at him but a name that jumped to mind, what about Scott Malone? If I've missed something then fair enough but a quick look online shows he hasn't played in Huddersfield's last couple of friendlies, doesn't appear to be injured and on their forum people aren't including him in their squads for their game against Chelsea. 

hey played 22 times last seaon at Huddlesfield, I doubt they'd waant to sell and if they do youre looking at around 8million 

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly the opposite.

SL has stated we shouldn't get too attached to individual players and City will sell if it is felt to be in the best interests of the club, and our valuation is met.

If the reported 6m fee is correct, that's exactly what's happening with JB now.

He did

We will need to get used to it

Thats the reality

A bit like England in the World Cup , in our situation , you have to grab the rare opportunities that come your way and like a game itself ,grab your chances when they come

The various aspects of last season , January,  and beyond has been debated to death

But in simple terms 

We didn’t

and are now ‘paying the price’  (If that’s what it is )

Good use of the money generated can take us forward

Poor use will see us slide backwards

Its as simple as that in reality 

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

If thats the case then fair enough, I haven't heard him say that (but obviously he has) which makes it a little bit easier to swallow. 

Still doesn't excuse Europe in 5 years though! 

well we were 90 minutes away last season

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

hey played 22 times last seaon at Huddlesfield, I doubt they'd waant to sell and if they do youre looking at around 8million 

That's what I thought when I first looked into him, but weird no one on their forum has him on their bench and can't seem to find reference to him being injured.

6 mil and I'll drive him there myself.

Good player, scored some memorable goals but seems to be lacking something fundamental that sets him apart from being great. Either he doesn't know what his best position  is, or the managers he has had haven't worked it out. 

At the age of 20 or 21, I get that, but as a senior pro.... 

He probably needs a fresh challenge and I'm sure the wage increase will be welcomed.

I'd applaud him back on the pitch if he showed up for Villa or Boro or anyone else with the coins to sign him.

29 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I get that they want to leave and the club can't do anything about that, I get that. My concern however is why do they want to leave? Bobby aside, something doesn't sit right with me that our players are so quick to jump ship / are so reluctant to not sign a new contract, especially someone like Bryan who has such strong ties with the City! 

Agents i'm afraid and their greed

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

He was not offered anything like the numbers you quote unless there was a change of stance in the last weeks, a City contract would have been around 10k (based on agent talk in the game, not inside club info before we start asking source)  . He will not be on those Villa numbers either, this is not the Premiership. 

We definitely pay our top earners £20k, O'Neil was supposedly on £15k ish, so hard to think we'd refuse to go above £10k for a key player. As for your last point Birmingham are paying some players £40k a week so yes Villa can definitely afford to.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What are you frustrated about? I can't think Bryan leaving this summer was that surprising for anyone. Or is it that it's to a divisional rival?

thats what irks some people as they believe we should be competing with te likes of villa and derby, when realistically we are competing with te likes of bolton and wigan in this league 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What are you frustrated about? I can't think Bryan leaving this summer was that surprising for anyone. Or is it that it's to a divisional rival?

I don’t think the destinations

Flint to a Championship Club (Albeit one with in theory a better chance of promotion)

Reid to that shower over the Bridge and likely to be back at AG with them next year

And Bryan,  likely to another Championship Club (Albeit one with in theory a better chance of promotion)

have helped 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

thats what irks some people as they believe we should be competing with te likes of villa and derby, when realistically we are competing with te likes of bolton and wigan in this league 

I get your point but wouldn't go that far.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

More to a rival. I understand it happens, but it still doesn't stop it being frustrating for me as an individual. 

Yeah, I can understand that. Relatively late in the window, perhaps this news going public will force a Prem team who was considering him into action.

He served his purpose and gave us some great memories. Sad to see a local QEH boy who went through the academy depart but that is the nature of football.

Sell him, invest in Rico Henry at Brentford. I said we should have signed him when he was at Walsall as one of my uni mates was adamant he'd play for England one day, kept an eye on him ever since. Although he didn't play on Saturday for Brentford due to coming back from an injury sustained last season, but by all accounts he is not too far off.

Easier said than done though, this isn't FIFA career mode where you can just go and get someone. 

15 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

The problem here is he would have been offered our top pay, at a guess between 18k and 20k a week.

Villa will pay him 35k a week at a blink.

No brainer for the player really.

..and if we did offer him £25k+ a week the rest of the squad would be knocking on MA door expecting a similar rise.  

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t think the destinations

Flint to a Championship Club (Albeit one with in theory a better chance of promotion)

Reid to that shower over the Bridge and likely to be back at AG with them next year

And Bryan,  likely to another Championship Club (Albeit one with in theory a better chance of promotion)

have helped 

It genuinely irks tbh.

We knew they would be off deep down, but that's about the worst 3 possible for me (2 Championship rivals and one Warnock and Cardiff- plus one of said Championship rivals has Pulis as manager).

33 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I get that they want to leave and the club can't do anything about that, I get that. My concern however is why do they want to leave? Bobby aside, something doesn't sit right with me that our players are so quick to jump ship / are so reluctant to not sign a new contract, especially someone like Bryan who has such strong ties with the City! 

I believe it's simply a question of wanting a fresh challenge.

Bobby and Joe have fought the cause for more than ten years at the club and Flint was here for five so you can't really say that they were ' quick to jump ship ' .

They quite possibly just felt that they needed change of environment and the extra money can't have hurt either.

There are moments in every person's life where the planets line up and opportunities arrive that are there to be seized.

I don't blame any one of them nor do I believe that there is some sort of malaise at the club where players are desperate to get out .

Just now, Tomarse said:

..and if we did offer him £25k+ a week the rest of the squad would be knocking on MA door expecting a similar rise.  

Yep.

This was the case a few seasons ago when Mr Lansdown spoke to my grandfather about it. The first choice defenders that season all earned the same so that not one of them could complain about earning less than the other. What started it was one player signing a deal which took him above the others.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Some incredible views on Bryan on here.  Everyone will realise within a year what we have lost here. 

I feel the same. He is a good player but £6m with a year left in his contract is great business.

I am sure we could pick up a LB just as good or better for £3-4m.

Archived