IGNORED

Academy U17's beat Eintracht Frankfurt - Into Final

Olé

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Have I missed something? Final of what? No idea what competition this is.

Europa League U17s.

Well in did say.......

18 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Good stuff. I love the way they celebrated winning - the exuberance of youth eh?

This is massive for the Academy, they couldn't take any under 16s due to GCSE's so the squad includes 4 x under 15s and 1 Under 14. The under 14 started in the Semi!

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Does mean we've won the (U17) Europa League?

Europe in 5 years and all that....

Its a small competition one of the clubs involved has held, most academies host them at the end of the season for various age groups, pretty sure we hosted an U12 one recently. None the less great achievement for the lads given the squad we took. All the harder playing up age groups at that level with the physical attributes being such an important aspect. 

21 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Great news. I noticed city went with a 433 formation. I know usually city play the same system in all their age groups. Does this suggest we plan on going 433 next season? Something I was banging on about doing for months! I hope so. 

Most academies play 4-3-3. The formation promotes higher levels of technical and tactical flexibility for later years.

Academy teams also generally play short to feet from the Keeper out.

Neither are not necessarily an indication of where the first team will be going with their approach.

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It is true as I heard him say it 

He might well have said it, doesn't make it true.

Our centre backs at youth levels split and a considered attempt to retain possession is made as we play out from the back.

The first team punts balls from Fielding to the sides of the pitch.

That's not consistent and they're two very different and disparate styles. The football in the back end of this season is not the same football the academy kids are playing, but if it was, I'd be very very concerned for the future.

20 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s the Yokohama Cup?! Whatever that is?!

Small reminder that Yokohama were main sponsor for last season's Premier League Champions and this season's FA Cup winners, so it's not an entirely trivial tournament...

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Our centre backs at youth levels split and a considered attempt to retain possession is made as we play out from the back.

That's not consistent and they're two very different and disparate styles. The football in the back end of this season is not the same football the academy kids are playing, but if it was, I'd be very very concerned for the future.

Our academy attempts to mirror that of how our first team played before christmas. First team changed for whatever reason (doesn't need to be gone into again as its been done to death) whereas the academy can just call up someone from the age group below being familiar with the style of play. Our first team does/did often attempt to play out from the back, we then go longer if there's no route out, there is also the option of Fielding aiming for Flint/Bryan from goal kicks, both academy and first team press from the front.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Small reminder that Yokohama were main sponsor for last season's Premier League Champions and this season's FA Cup winners, so it's not an entirely trivial tournament...

Wasn’t saying it was trivial....sponsors’ names mask the true title of competitions so I didn’t know what is was....

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Johnson said himself earlier in the season that all our sides play the same system 

Having watched the academy teams play I can faithfully say it is simply not true.

4 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

And that is an observation you can make from the first goal kick. 

The centre backs from U10, U11 ... split. 

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Our academy attempts to mirror that of how our first team played before christmas. First team changed for whatever reason (doesn't need to be gone into again as its been done to death) whereas the academy can just call up someone from the age group below being familiar with the style of play. Our first team does/did often attempt to play out from the back, we then go longer if there's no route out, there is also the option of Fielding aiming for Flint/Bryan from goal kicks, both academy and first team press from the front.

The first team frequently do not attempt to play out through the back with no pressure or minimal pressure exerted. 

The second part of underlined text is not correct with respect.  Academy teams frequently drop off and screen. The first team changes by the week, and game dependant on front two.

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Johnson said himself earlier in the season that all our sides play the same system 

An academy will  play a number of systems throughout the season.

The style and system that the first team plays is set by the first team manager, and this should be one way that any academy plays. However I would imagine that any academy recognises that a first team manager can and will change eventually and is therefore likely that the style and system will change. A balanced football education where a number and systems and styles will help the players to play under the current system and any changes that may come due to managerial change.

Also an academy not only has the responsibility to produce players for the club it has a responsibility to the players and given them the best chance of play professional football. In any case an academy would want players to play for the their first team but are not picky if they go on and play for someone else. A balanced football education would allow this.

Archived